Salary Negotiation - Paid OT to Straight Salary

Congrats!

Congratulations and best wishes for a happy new gig!

Prior to living in Maine with my 5 minute commute and reasonable hours (40-45 per week), I lived in Greenwich, CT, where I made more money but lost 2-3 hours per day to traffic and commuting on top of being in a much more demanding work environment with expectations of 60 hour work weeks.

Having lived the Maine lifestyle for several years now, I would not go back to a demanding job with a long commute for twice my present salary. It would not even get a single minute’s consideration from me. I make plenty of money, time is what I’m after now. I think you chose wisely.

Congratulations on your new job!

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
Prior to living in Maine with my 5 minute commute and reasonable hours (40-45 per week), I lived in Greenwich, CT, where I made more money but lost 2-3 hours per day to traffic and commuting on top of being in a much more demanding work environment with expectations of 60 hour work weeks.

Having lived the Maine lifestyle for several years now, I would not go back to a demanding job with a long commute for twice my present salary. It would not even get a single minute’s consideration from me. I make plenty of money, time is what I’m after now. I think you chose wisely.

Congratulations on your new job![/quote]

Thanks (also thanks to spar4tee & EmilyQ), I’m pretty excited about it.

Congratulations. Sounds like you got what you wanted out of it.

Nice! Congrats!

Congrats

Hopefully I’ll be in the same spot as you soon.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Ok, the story has progressed now. Considering 2 offers:

Job A - higher base salary, possibility of higher bonus, longer commute, anticipating less interesting work

Job B - slightly lower base, higher “regular” bonus, shorter/easier commute, company vehicle, gas card, probably more interesting work

How do you guys factor in the company vehicle when comparing offers?

I would take either one at this point. Both are improvements over my current gig.[/quote]

I’d take Job B. More interesting work is a huge factor to me. I am under the assumption that both jobs provide the same level of skill refinement and improvement. If Job B is more interesting work but it doesn’t progress your skills as much than I’d lean toward Job A.

I live in DC and have to commute to VA and I personally consider commute time a major factor. I used to have no commute and never fully appreciated until my commute sucked. But it’s more so in DC how much stress actual traffic causes more so than actual distance so you may approach it differently living in PA.

As far as the vehicle, I guess it depends how much you like cars. I’d take the free one for sure. It would suck if you just purchased a nice new one, though because of the depreciation and transaction hit.

I work in energy and power too and do a lot of midstream infrastructure work. A fair amount has been in the Marcellus, probably what you’re focused on. Cool to see someone else in the industry around here.

EDIT: Didn’t see you already took the job. I’m glad I suggested the one you took or else I’d be an even bigger doosh. Congrats on making a move.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
downtown Baltimore[/quote]
Disgusting.[/quote]

I’m from/live in DC and can say it’s the superior city. But Baltimore does have some charm, it’s crazy cheap, and there are a lot less dooshbags. They also play their football inside their city and a row home doesn’t cost upwards of $900k.

[quote]BPCorso wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
downtown Baltimore[/quote]
Disgusting.[/quote]

I’m from/live in DC and can say it’s the superior city. But Baltimore does have some charm, it’s crazy cheap, and there are a lot less dooshbags. They also play their football inside their city and a row home doesn’t cost upwards of $900k. [/quote]
I don’t “hate” it, but I’m not going there if I don’t have to.