Role of Ankles in High Bar Squats

I am wondering what the “official” role of the toes/calves in high bar back squats is. Powerlifting squats, I know you stay on your heals exclusively. However, when I do high bar squats, I find that because my heals are elevated in the shoes, that the calves really get activation specifically to keep my heels on the ground.

I am curious to hear if that is the same in some of the more experienced olympic lifters who most likely to more than their fair share of high bar squats.

Your weight should still be predominantly on your heels with high bar oly squats and you shouldn’t be activating your calves at any point. The raised heels of oly shoes are just an aid for the extra ankle flexibility that is demanded by this type of squat.

Chief… from what you wrote all I can tell you is:

You are just not used to going ATG with a “high bar” (or any bar positioning).
Your heel elevates due to lack of flexibility. So your body shifts weight to your toes, instead of staying flat footed with the weight on your heels. Also since you ain’t used to doing ATG high-bar, you feel your calves “activating”.

That’s all…

Just stretch out, and squat ATG often. You will be fine.

lol… dfreeze u wrote faster

I agree with these two that you are shifting too far forward if you are feeling it that much and if you feel your heels lifting. However, since you are, in effect, dorsiflexing by letting your knees travel forward, your calves do eventually fire to stand back up straight. I doubt they do that much work in the process, though.

I will put a video on here of me doing them, so you can tell me where I am going wrong. Thanks for the tips. I feel that if I use mostly heel, that I tend to fall forward a bit, but if I use the “whole” foot I have a better push.

You should never fall forwards when front/ back squating ATG high bar.

Your heels should be BURIED in the ground. All of your weight on your heels.

Work your mobility and you won’t have the issue.

Koing

I have heard powerlifting squats taught with a recommendation to push your feet out to the sides as well pushing thru the heels. Does anyone do this with the Olympic high bar squat, or is this an improper cue to use with these type of squats?

[quote]Timmymac wrote:
I have heard powerlifting squats taught with a recommendation to push your feet out to the sides as well pushing thru the heels. Does anyone do this with the Olympic high bar squat, or is this an improper cue to use with these type of squats?[/quote]

I mainly focus on staying tight with my trunk and my weight on my heels.

Knees go out sideways as I squat down.

I don’t think I push my feet out to the side. What do other Oly guys do?

Koing

[quote]Timmymac wrote:
I have heard powerlifting squats taught with a recommendation to push your feet out to the sides as well pushing thru the heels. Does anyone do this with the Olympic high bar squat, or is this an improper cue to use with these type of squats?[/quote]

I would think this has more to do with the wider stance, especially the guys whose toes are almost touching the racks. That cue might work, there isn’t really a wrong cue if it helps your technique. I personally focus on keeping my knees wide to track over my toes, but never concentrate on my feet.

Here are two squat videos I just made from today’s workout: 195 x 3; 215 x 3. I feel this form is better than my last one I started the thread about. I focused on increasing mobility, particularly in the abductors. Let me know what you guys think.

195 x 3

Any thoughts on these guys? Corrections I need to make?

For looks fine, look up more and as you ascend drive your chest into the bar and push your arse forward as you lock out.