Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

@mr.v3lv3t That is a damn good list, I’d also throw type 4 in the mix on that one lol - and hell even type 5 if we’re talking about being the household/office workhorse

@oldbeancam
Y’all are really selling this nacho & video game day. My foot is propped up on a pillow right now so that is sounding both convenient AND enticing. You’re a better man than I, because unless it’s right after breakfast on off days or right after work, you won’t see me in the gym.

@T3hPwnisher I’d say sorry for the log derail, but I figure you enjoy the conversation lol.

Onto Nachos…

3 Likes

Inevitably, these discussion ALWAYS seem to happen when I’m traveling and have no access to a computer, and since I hate typing with a phone, I don’t reply much, haha. Let me get back into things.

This is absolutely true, there can certainly BE positives to it, but what I am saying is that I would engage in these activities even in the absence of these positives. Insomuch as the “fun” or yummy flavor still maintained, I would do these things even if they only had negative effects on me. In fact, it is ONLY the presence of consequences that prevent me from engaging in these activities full time. The only reason I don’t eat a diet of nothing but nachos/other garbage is because it is not good for me. The only reason I don’t play video games all day is I will lose my job and be unable to provide. Essentially, my id is in check by my superego, to go Freudian here.

Training in the opposite; whereas before the only thing that stopped me from doing the activity was consequences, the only thing keeping me training is the consequences of NOT doing it. Much like brushing my teeth; if given the choice, I wouldn’t do it, but not brushing my teeth means losing my teeth, and I don’t want to do that. Not training means not being big and strong.

Consequences seem to be the ultimate driver, but from differing angles. I know that, in a consequence free world, if given the choice between video games and nachos or lifting and clean eating, I’d pick the former 100% of the time, but I also acknowledge there are some out there that really truly WOULD pick the latter. I don’t understand them, but I understand that they exist.

@mr.v3lv3t It is an interesting definition of fun. The “not fun now, fun later” seems to be what I come into conflict with. That’s where I talk to the idea of not loving the training, but loving the results. The training isn’t fun, but it produces “fun” effects, but, were I to isolate the effects from the cause, I would avoid the cause.

@oldbeancam We are kindred spirits that way, haha.

And no worries anyone on the derials. Always happy to discuss.

4 Likes

100 burpees in 8:43

Just some vacation work. Got a blister on the bottom of my big toe that made landing, suck, and left knee still a little achy.

2 Likes

20 push ups, every minute on the minute for 50 minutes

Notes: Yes, that is in fact 1000 push-ups. Do I know how to deload or what? This was one of those Forest Gump sorta moments, where I set out to do 10 minutes, and that felt good, so I did 20, and at that point figured I’d do 500, and once I got there, figured 1000 was within reach. Right around 900 is when it started getting challenging, as up until then it was taking me 15 seconds to complete sets, and at that point it went to 20, and the final set took 45. I’ll see how I feel over the next few days, and if I don’t get rhabdomyolysis, I might do this again sometime.

Took a photo of the chest pump. Wasn’t quite “unreal”, but still very solid.

6 Likes

The last two lines of your most recent blog post resulted in an audible guffaw for me. Nice work on that one.

Hah, thanks man. I find that, sometimes, the obvious still needs to be stated.

1 Like

I am not sure if this has been asked but:

Why so you spend so little time training pressing with leg drive? Your strict press is damn impressive but as a strongman wouldn’t it make more sense to train with leg drive? Especially as I atleast find it to be very technical.
For me the strict press isn’t doing much for my press with legs but maybe you are different in that regard.

Hey man,

I have been in an off season since April, and during that time I stay away from more competition stuff and stick with the basics. When my strict press goes up, so does my push press. However, push press itself is hard to measure, because you can screw up leg drive, rack, lockout, etc. It is why I tend to shy away from it in the off season, and pick it up when a competition looms.

I was doing 1 set a week for a bit, but now that I am running 5/3/1 programs, there isn’t room for it.

1 Like

You obviously have decent shoulders on you due to pressing strength, but from that recent pic, your lateral delts don’t seem to have much mass about them. I have the same sort of thing and while I have decent ‘functional’ strength and mobility, my shoulders (especially right one) does play up.

You have been at this a lot longer than myself, so I’m wondering how you rate building up lateral delts for the goal of shoulder stability/strength/injury prevention (looks are not important)??

1 Like

You gotta keep in mind that it’s a bathroom selfie snapped after a 1000 push up workout. Not really a fair representation of physique, haha.

Lateral raises make regular appearances in my off season training. Once I start prepping for a competition, they go away quickly.

2 Likes

Just an update on day 1 post 1000 push-ups. I’m sore, but not dying. Chest and triceps are achy to the touch, deltoids are fine.

2 Likes

The stuff you do in “off season”.

1 Like

you strongman types always have the gnarliest midsections.

As fond as I am of my dainty little lady-waist, a scary-strong looking midsection like that is very cool

3 Likes

@biker I’m not good when left to my own devices, haha.

@Yogi1 I think Dave Tate said “We work so hard to be so ugly”, haha. That said, I always had a blocky midsection. One of those chicken/egg things. I’m sure strongman helped make it that way too, but I also probably had better luck with strength sports just from having that sort’ve build. Either way, I appreciate the comment.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed response, sorry it took so long to reply lol. I think I understand where you are coming from, but I think we have very different mentalities on this. I honestly can’t think of a single thing that I do that doesn’t have a positive benefit, or at least nothing I can think of that I can’t justify as one. Drinking with friends, training, cooking, life. Sure, eventual consequences can and will have me weighing costs vs, benefits, and sometimes the benefits lose out hard - but I honestly can’t think of a single thing I do that has zero benefit to me in some way (even if it is an immediate gratification at the expense of future suffering).

I think I would probably fall into this category (as in choosing training), but not for the reasons typically associated with it. I am a really hyperactive person, and when the energy and anxiousness builds up too much I have to relieve it or I can’t focus or function well. Exercise is rather meditative in that I can focus on a singular task, probably the only thing in my life that I can say that about. Hell, even when I meditate I can’t focus worth a damn, haha.

@TX_iron stress relief can certainly be a great benefit to training. I don’t personally experience it, and that is most likely because I try to be as calm as possible while I train, which helps me with my current goals but precludes any real cathartic benefit. It’s like I said before; I know there are some out there that appreciate training differently than I do, and though I can’t understand it personally, I still acknowledge they are there.

Just some fun vacation updates. Went to the beach. Played the “Over the top” arm wrestling Arcade game and beat it at the hardest level, which is pretty cool. This is what the cabinet looks like

I think I technically beat Hercules at the end, so I’m going to say that.

Wife took some photos of me while I was out there.

I’m happy with how lean I walk around at these days, and my back is pretty solid, but my front is nothing special. I really want to dedicate some time to putting on some mass once I get back from my travels, but inevitably I’ll probably sabotage my own plans, haha.

4 Likes

Try gaining about l0 lbs to feel the increased strength that much produces. I can see you at 225 in next few years tearing up records.

1 Like

I have been trying to gain 10lbs for a few years now, haha. Doing it while staying lean is tricky. Things move slowly but surely.

1 Like

You get to the <231’s, I’ll get to <200’s. If my 8 inch ankles will keep me upright.

@brady888 I’m so good at being <231 that I’m ALSO <200, hha.

I’ve done 3 workouts in 20 hours now, as I’m returning from vacation and leaving on business tomorrow. Will get my bench workout done tomorrow morning, meaning getting a weeks’ worth of training done in 36 hours. For the sake of brevity, I’m just logging highlights, but these were all full workouts

FRIDAY EVENING

Deadlifts
12x495
15x385

SATURDAY MORNING

Axle Press
6x206
14+1x161

NG chins pyramid (no rest between sets)
5xBW
5x30
5x55
5x80
3x105
5x80
5x55
5x30
7xBW

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

Buffalo Bar Squats
5x370
18x285

Notes: Knee was feeling great all vacation, and then felt achy on my flight back home. Wondering if elevation is the issue. Focusing on a lower bar position goes a long way. Those deadlifts killed me. Knee kept buckling.

Woke up at 190.0. I expect to lose more weight during my trip. Holiday season should bode well.

3 Likes