Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Right on man! Congrats! Looking forward to the full write up!

@Benanything Thanks man! Those were still the same weights as advertised. It was a lighter show, but that was what I needed coming back. Part of it too is staying in my weight class. I was competing up for a while there.

@Alpha Thanks dude! You were a big help for me. I still have to thank you for teaching me leg drive way back in the day, and fielding my questions on new events. I was even able to use some of the advice you gave me on the hercules hold when it came to the hammer hold.

@strongmanvinny2 Thank you! Youā€™re still giving me a press to chase after, haha. Getting that close to 300 just lit the fire under me.

@RampantBadger Hey thanks man! I was clomping along during training, but it all seemed to come together at the end.

@dt79 Thanks dude! Means a lot to still have you on board.

@furo Thanks man! Us ā€œBrothers-in-legsā€ gotta stick together, haha. I think Iā€™m gonna need a little while to recover from this before I step up for our comeback meet.

@Koestrizer Thanks dude! Being able to watch your growth in the sport has been pretty awesome for me, and Iā€™m glad I was able to do the same. Itā€™s actually not MY music; they were playing a bunch of stuff at the contest that got picked up on the video. There are some work arounds out there, but I might be able to just upload stuff direct. Iā€™ll see what I can do. When I have a little more time to sit down, Iā€™ll get you a good response to that question you asked me.

@littlesleeper Thanks man! Iā€™m excited to get it done soon.

3 Likes

Awesome man! You smoked it. Happy to see that you came back so strong! Looking forward to where you go from here. New log time?

EDIT i dig how they have yā€™all standing on tires as the podium lol

2 Likes

Huh? I was never not on board lol. I just had nothing to contribute here since I donā€™t know balls about strongman.

Congratulations! You made that shit look easy.

@TX_iron Thanks dude! Iā€™ve contemplated a new log, but I think Iā€™m gonna stick with this one for now. I think itā€™ll serve well as a source of inspiration for those suffering from a similar injury, and donā€™t want it to get too buried. I also donā€™t know if there are post limits under the new t-nation forum system, so I might be able to just let this run indefinitely.

@dt79 Thatā€™s what I mean dude. You were there when I was doing the bodybuilding training immediately post injury, and it means a lot that youā€™ve been here the whole time through, especially with your interest not being specifically strongman. Just having some link minded individuals along for the ride has been a big deal.

@ChickenLittle Thank you! I had a lot of anger to carry me through, haha.

Letā€™s get rolling with the write-up

So as I previously wrote about, the contest I was training for got canceled 5 days out, but Metahuman Fitness in San Diego totally stepped up and hosted almost the exact same show on the same date for all of those that had trained hard and still wanted to compete. Getting back into competition after my surgery was a big deal for me, so this was totally awesome of them. There were only small changes.

-Warm up:

Hahaha, you know thatā€™s a silly thing. I cleaned the axle loaded with tires twice (mightā€™ve weighed 100lbs) and that was it. Didnā€™t warm-up for any other event. Had a breakfast of Captain Crunch and a Rockstar.

-Event 1: Last Man Standing Axle Clean and Press

They got rid of wesselā€™s rules and just made it that, when you miss, youā€™re out. You could still skip attempts. I actually liked that balance between the two styles of LMS Iā€™ve seen before. I had missed 255 in training every single time I tried, so that was what I was shooting for.

Well, my theory that training the press first thing in the morning at the end of my training session after being exhausted would make competition easier proved true (also, thatā€™s an awful sentence). I had to ā€œbuy inā€ at 170, skipped 190, hit 210, 230, then completely blew away 250 and even had 270 go up smooth. From there, weight jumps became 30lbs, so I took 300 for a ride. I managed to continental it (double overhand by the wayā€¦just saying), but couldnā€™t press it. Got it off my chest, but zero actual pressing. I now have something to shoot for. This was at least good enough to tie for first.

Iā€™ll say training with the Ironmind axle paid off, because the one at the show felt like a toy. It was hollow and had some crazy sharp knurling on it. We were also using the Ethikon tires, which were baller.

-Event 2: Deadlift medly (405lb barbell, 450lb trap bar, 465lb axle with tires, 260lb per hand farmerā€™s)

Only change here was a trap bar over a frame, but considering I did zero training for this event specifically, it didnā€™t matter. Not a whole lot to write. I hate deadlift medleys, but I won this by less than a second.

-Event 3: 525lb Yoke for 80ā€™

This event was more psychological than anything else. I had to prove I could still do it. I still use Clint Dardenā€™s trick of shaking my head as soon as I get under the yoke until Iā€™m ready, and it works. Also pisses off the promoters something fierce, haha. Since I trained with the econo-pitbull yoke, a solid yoke always feel so much better. I couldnā€™t even feel the weight, and ended up winning the event by 3 seconds with an 11 second and some change finish.

-Event 4: 30lb hammer front hold

So this event was supposed to be a Hercules hold, but the promoter of the original event never even got the rig built for it, so there was zero chance to really make it work. I trained my grip like hell for the Hercules hold and didnā€™t do anything else, so I wasnā€™t too upset about the change. The grip strength still paid off with the axle work, and honestly, I just canā€™t fathom many other folks having a higher pain tolerance than me, so I figured Iā€™d still be ok.

Time to beat was 58 seconds, and I got to go last since I was in first, so it was awesome having a goal to shoot for. I documented it on my training log, but for the month leading up to the contest I was basically listening to Nine Inch Nailā€™s ā€œRuinerā€ on loop, just letting the verse ā€œYou didnā€™t hurt me. Nothing can hurt me. You didnā€™t hurt me. Nothing can stop me nowā€ play over and over again, and I put it on loop in my head during the hold. Part of it was just to have a mantra to carry me through, but it also just gave me a way to focus on something else during the hold.

They ended up taking the hammer away from me at 62 seconds because they said it was dropping too much. I honestly couldnā€™t tell, and wasnā€™t trying to game the system any, but either way I won. Woulda liked to see how long I could take it, but a W is a W.

-Event 5: 175lb keg 60ā€™, 200lb keg 50ā€™, 225lb keg 25ā€™, 365lb reverse prowler drag 50ā€™

Only change here was the first keg was 60ā€™ instead of 75ā€™, and the prowler was 50ā€™ instead of 75ā€™. In training, I never went above 182 for the keg, but I made it suck as much as possible. I didnā€™t know if they meant 365 ON the prowler or 365 including the prowler, but it didnā€™t really matter. I trained the drag on asphalt, and we were pulling on a slick concrete floor. It meant that the prowler was smooth, but it was hard to get my feet to grip at first.

This was the only event I psyched myself up for, and it kinda showed. I ended up slamming the handles at the end and then immediately apologized for being a douche, haha. Still, everything moved really fast for me, and I had no knee issues. My conditioning held out just fine, which was pretty much my goal going in. I figured, if I could be tougher than everyone else, Iā€™d make it. Ended up winning by 10 seconds.

-Moving forward

Iā€™m definitely back to competing again. I might do a powerlifting meet in Feb, just because a co-worker invited me to, but strongman is still my love.

11 Likes

Interested in seeing how much your total has increased since the last time you did a meet haha. Maybe itā€™s time for you to update your bio on your blog.

1 Like

Haha, yeah we wouldnā€™t want to get this gem lost in the fray. Iā€™m interested to see how all the training in strongman carries over to your powerlifting total!

@Benanything and @TX_iron Iā€™ll be curious to see if I go that route. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll see a super huge increase, mainly because I donā€™t do a whole lot of heavy singles and donā€™t intend to peak for the meet if I do it, but itā€™d be nice to see what sorta strength I just have ā€œon tapā€ versus with a peak.

@Koestrizer I finally found some time to reply to your question.

I think setting up for a mock meet is a sound idea. To actually get some benefit to it, you need to find some way to create some pressure for you. Training for competitions definitely makes you stronger, but it makes you stronger because youā€™re trying to put on a good show and compete against others. If youā€™re just going to show up and do what you can, thatā€™s basically an events day. You could make an announcement online about it to draw some interest, or try to gen up some local spectators, or try for a long distance contest against other online strongman; just something to get the blood boiling.

Random pick events arenā€™t a bad idea, but you might even go out of your way to find the events you are bad at and pick THOSE. Thatā€™s what I ended up doing with this last show. It took away some ego and forced me to fix some weaknesses.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your kind words earlier and your detailed answer.

As nearly always you are spot on. The problem with my idea is that it doesnā€™t really puts pressure on me. I guess I am somewhat desperate to find a way to compete. I thought about it and I think the better route for me would be to try again to organize a small local competition in the next year.

Than I will pick front squats! :smiley: This might be my worst lift overall.

It did! For now I am stepping away from the idea but I will keep it in mind and try to perfect it with the aspects you mentioned.

I think I will change my programming a bit based on what is still progressing and what needs some altering. This might be enough to spice up my training for now.

Thanks, champ! I hope you can somehow re upload the video if you find the time. I am really eager to see your performance.

Figured Iā€™d ask you this here since itā€™s mainly my question for you. My mom is due to pop me out a new kid brother soā€¦ How would you start a child out with training? Iā€™m asking this as a general question such as ages 5-10, go to the monkey bars and play or something. I believe youā€™ve a child too, are you starting them off young in any way?

So, not that I became any great shakes, butā€¦

My dad got into powerlifting in his mid-30ā€™s and has trained continuously with weights in some capacity ever since. Of course, as a kid, I wanted to do what my dad did, but as a young kid that wasnā€™t allowed - we just played outside like crazy (throwing a football or baseball, monkey bars, etc). I think that makes much more sense for a young child than structured exercise in a gym. Let them learn to play first, control their body, and do athletic things like throw a ball, climb, jump, tumble, etc.

My dad let me start lifting with him when I was around 9ā€¦but before he let me touch a weight, I had to do 30 deep knee bends with my own bodyweight and some number of pushups (10?) as well. After I passed those standards, he started me off with the empty bar on both bench press and squat, and I stuck with basically just those from age 9 through about 13.

YMMV. That seemed to work well enough for me.

1 Like

I believe they are called squats haha but yes, I get your point. Iā€™m sure adding in some broomstick squats/clean&jerks/snatches canā€™t hurt too eh?

and this is hella dope, lets be honest

1 Like

@Koestrizer No problem man, happy to help. Iā€™m gonna create a version of my video without sound and upload it so that we can bypass the country code issue with music. Iā€™ll let you know when itā€™s up.

Edit: @Koestrizer here you go.

@Benanything Honestly, at that young an age, my focus would be on play and sports/activities. No real need to a regimented fitness program; simply getting out there, moving around, playing throwing stuff, chasing it, moving laterally, etc etc will go SO far. Most of the beginners we see that are failing early are doing so because they NEVER did this stuff as kids, and they refuse to do it as adults. ā€œPlayā€ goes a LONG way towards ensuring a successful athletic career.

In terms of lifting; never force a kid (or for that matter, anyone) into it, as itā€™s a surefire way to get them to resent it and never do it. Itā€™s gotta be an avenue that is available when they want it, but never something they are forced to do. I wanted to be big and strong my whole life, so lifting and exertion was pretty natural for me, but a lotta kids just wanna play sports and the weightroom is more of a chore. If you can convince them that hitting the iron will make them a better player, youā€™ll have a leg up, but otherwise, they gotta WANT it.

What @activitiesguy describes is a pretty solid approach to the whole thing. Donā€™t let them hit the iron until they have some basic strength under them.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time and re uploading the video. Enjoyed it very much!
Damn those continentals looked clean (for being continentals)!
Awesome performance man! I really am glad to see you coming back in such fantastic shape. If there is one guy who has earned it, it is you. When it comes to working hard and pushing through obstacles, you are very hard to beat!

1 Like

Hey brother, a friend of mine has torn his ACL and I just wanted to ask for some advice. Heā€™s active - plays occasional rugby, runs marathons and trains with weights too. I was just looking for some general advice for his approach to coming back? For someone active but not necessarily whoā€™s going to push it in the way you have. Thanks man.

EDIT: also I watched your video, awesome job! I knew youā€™d kill it.

Hey man, Iā€™ll definitely give this some thought. Iā€™m a little tight on time at the moment, but I didnā€™t want you to think Iā€™m blowing you off. Ultimately, what is this guyā€™s goal from here? Does he want a way to keep active while recovering, to maintain his strength, to still get stronger, etc? Also, what is his training/injury background? I ask the second question because it would be helpful for understanding his body awareness. I got away with a lot just because Iā€™ve trained a lot and been hurt a lot and know when Iā€™m treading those waters.

And thanks for the kind words!

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x186
5x216
5x251
11x281 (failed on the 12th; missed lockout)
16x251

Notes: Welcome to the off season. Trained in the evening. Iā€™ve come down with some sort of annoying cold after my contest, and between that and the Mrs and I being fatigued from travel, we decided to sleep in. It was a solid bench session.

Chins (various styles)
1x25
3x20
1x25

DB lateral/rear laterals 20lbs
5x10/10

Notes: All performed between sets of benching. Brought more variety to the chins. First set was underhand, next was over, third was close NG and middle NG, fourth was middle and wide NG, 5th was all 5 of the above. Lats blew up something fierce from it; I think the variety is necessary.

GIANT SETS

Log push press (clean once) 140

T-bar rows 4 plates
4x10

Hammer curls 35
5x10

Kroc rows 105
1x12

Notes: Right about here is when I remembered I was sick and realized I was back up from sea level to 3300ā€™. Just completely ran out of gas and was sucking wind something fierce. A big part of that is just being out of practice with the log. I am just awful with it. Still figuring out how this day will unfold; might rotate implements for pressing, or do some sets push, some sets strict. In general though, I like how it unfolded, and when it was all done I had an insane pump. Was dealing with some quad cramping on the log press; something to watch out for.

General notes: Woke up at 192.0. I always lose weight on vacation, but I think it will come back on once I get my hydration sorted out.

Thanks a lot man. In terms of background he played rugby through school and university but doesnā€™t really play any more. He goes through phases of running a lot - he did the Paris marathon last year, but I donā€™t think heā€™s done much since. He does some regular recreational weight training, but nothing too serious. He has had issues in the past with patella dislocation but I think thatā€™s it in terms of injuries. I think his goals are really just to bounce back as quickly and effectively as possible - not necessarily to come back much stronger. Just to get back to his usual self.

Hey man, I hope I am not getting on your nerves but I have one more direct question for you.

After I have reached the goal that I had with sumo deadlifts, I think it is time to get back into conventional deadlifting.
For this I am eager to mimic the approach that you are using with progressive range of motion. I noticed you progress in 6 steps from your highest deadlift height to the ground. However with my equipment I would end up with just 3 steps, two of which are the same height and one step would be smaller. I have two very thick mats and 4 very thin mats.
Would your apporach still work or would you advise me to do something else? Especially since I havenā€™t deadlifted conventional in a very very long time and have to focus on execution a lot.

Also as a side question: I am a lot more efficient in sumo puling and I am not sure if I should give up altogether for now in favor of conventional or keep it in some capacity?

@furo Sadly, the answer will be a little mundane, but still the best I could come up with; he needs to make absolutely sure, no matter what, he ALWAYS does his physical therapy exercises. At least once a day. That seems obvious, but so many folks only do physical therapy when theyā€™re with a physical therapist, and it just makes recovery take FOREVER. Doing it everyday, including weekends, will speed up recovery something fierce and have him heal up strong.

The other thing would be to take on Jim Wendlerā€™s philosophy of ā€œfocus on what you CAN do, not what you canā€™tā€. This is a great time to work on grip, neck, abs, and all sorts of other things we tend to neglect.

Hopefully that helps. If there is something I can go onto more detail in, let me know.

@Koestrizer This is actually a pretty easy fix. Start the cycle with 2 thin mats on top of 1 thick mat per side. Next week, remove 1 thin mat. Next week, remove another. Next week, have 1 thick bar per side under the bar and STAND on 1 thin mat. Next week, stand on 1 thin mats. From here, you could either pull from the floor or put a thin mat under the bar to extend the cycle, but you sere where Iā€™m going.

I honestly canā€™t speak to sumo. I havenā€™t pulled a sumo deadlift since 2005, haha.