Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

this is not a rant just an explanation
this was not a finisher
it was the whole program,back in a time{at least where i was from} we never heard of over training,percents was something you did in math class,not how you figured out what weights to use,you did not train smart you trained hard,you kept a log book,because sets,reps, weights lifted was what you did last workout ,a starting point for next workout,assistance work, back then never heard of it
most parents in my area considered body building magazines, gay mags so i never read them till a lot later in life
no internet
you learned by doing, from each other and any big guy willing to teach

this part is a rant
i missed a rep? shit try it again next week
how much weight should i use? put some weight on the bar lift it
but what if its to light? fā€“k put some more weight on the bar
what if its to heavy? try harder
i am not gaining weight? eat more
but i am still not gaining weight.f___ing EAT MORE
i want to lose weight?work out hard,eat less
but i am still not losing weight? get a fā€”ing chain saw
how often can i or should i max out? every time some body comes over and says"bet i can lift more than you"
last part is a question
how come i do not see people ask
how do i get rid of stretch marks?
does every body know and thats why no body asks

sorry i am on a roll,heard to much stupid shit on training this morning
from your blog
As an example, if you put a beginner on 5/3/1, each time the squat rolls around, they will be stronger on it than they were before. Many are quick to point out that the training max progresses ā€œtoo slow

how in the ---- do people figure this ,on the + sets if you do 5 reps,put the numbers into a 1 rep max caculator
gives you projected 1 rep max if you do 6 reps you will get a higher 1 rep max
totally controlled by the person lifting
so the projected 1 rep max can advance as fast as the person can go
your training max proceeds at a sustained pace however what the person can potentionaly 1 rep max is controlled by their ability isnā€™t that the goal to get stronger
same thing with reset
if you go back to a previous training max but hit higher + sets you are actually moving forward
never read the book just alot of posts so if a am wrong
my fā€” up

Not meaning to hijack here but if you know an answer to that let me know! I look like fucking deadpoolā€¦ I am very prone to that shit. I think part of it has to do with going through very rapid weight changes in the past (and kind of in the present). Small kid > chemo > cortisone and all the good stuff > rapid weight gain > chubby kid > sick of that, lost 18 kg in less than a month > started lifting and eating again > rapid weight gain and gain in muscle size > more and more size and muscle.
Not that that matters but my stretch marks are kind of extreme. I recently thought of consulting a dermatologist.

thats why i made that crack because when i was young alot of us got stretch marks around shoulders, pec
insertion tie in, biceps,also where the lats tied in under the arms didnt get much on legs
we tried vitamin e oil pills taken orally and rubbing the oil on the skin and various skin creams nothing worked
so when i noticed nobody asking i figured maybe every body knew how stop the marks
OR nobody got bigger fast enough to get them due to ā€œmodernā€ training methods
by the way been following your log great work

Reminds me of a funny story from a week ago. A guy that works part time at my gym asked me if I knew anything to prevent or deal with stretch marks. He had one small stretch mark at his lat apparently. I rolled up my sleeve and showed him my arm. He looked shocked. Same guy complained to me how he couldnā€™t put on any mass. I told him why and he didnā€™t seem to like or understand my answer.
Just to be clear about those stretch mark problems: I would do it all over again. Lifting has given me a lot, I donā€™t mind it taking a little bit in exchange.
Thanks Sam, I appreciate it!

i think that why i like strongman style training ,its more old school,hard work heavy weights ā€œBALLSā€

1 Like

@furo Iā€™m pretty close to some woodland areas and right on the coast, so we get a good amount of wildlife. Itā€™s not the boonies, but itā€™s not incredibly urban. We have coyotes, deer, blue herons, bobcats, at least 1 mountain lion, and a bunch of other crazy sutff, haha. The coyotes are getting big these days. They used to be tiny dudes, but these days Iā€™ve had to do a double take because I think someoneā€™s dog got loose. Iā€™ve almost ā€œrescuedā€ a few of them, haha.

@cavemansam great rants man. I didnā€™t mean to infer that I thought the program you were mentioning was a finisher, just that Jamie Lewis used something similar AS a finisher. Difference would just be a lack of rest periods.

In regards to the stretch marks thing: itā€™s still getting asked. We occasionally get a thread here, and I see it on other sites. Just makes me laugh. Iā€™m pretty proud of getting so damn big that I scarred myself, haha. In Paul Kelsoā€™s ā€œPowerlifting Basics: Texas Styleā€, there is a story about a ā€œstretch mark machineā€ that is good for a laugh.

Great comments everyone!

Treadmill
Walking 10 minutes at 5mph
Running 20 minutes at 8mph
0 incline

Notes: Pretty much just getting good at enduring the suck at this. This is definitely the longest Iā€™ve ever run at this pace, especially at this bodyweight. I really donā€™t like running, but just being able to do ANYTHING athletic feels great, and being able to see this as a challenge has kept me motivated.

Knee is feeling less achy. Woke up at 195.4. Daily training went well. Missed one session of 80 chins and 2 days of pull aparts, but for the most part consistent. 90 chins starting Monday.

For someone who doesnā€™t run much, that isnā€™t too shabby. Thatā€™s actually pretty darn darn good. Whatā€™s your ā€˜secretā€™?

was not sure,
i do not remember where i got the program
but it was a true thinking manā€™s program the reps were guidelines
your log in Theory for sets would be 2 to 3 warmup sets then 12,10,8,6,4,2,1,1,1,2,4,6,8,10,12
actual practice might be something like 13,10,7,6,3,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9
you decide how much weight to use you decide on rest time you decide how hard to push you decide when to increase weight you decide forced reps ,negatives, going back up in reps no grinders just hard
most programs i see today tell you almost everything to the point people do not deviate when for them maybe they should

reason i went on a rant,a couple that i know go to a commercial gym ,they have reached the point that when they lift people stop to watch
some people at work say they are stupid for doing what they do,
i said he is stronger than you,their response so what
when i said she is probably stronger than you,their response ,but she is going to get hurt
lost it,should not have but .

@Benanything Thanks man. Iā€™m pretty happy with it considering the long layoff beforehand.

There are a couple of factors at play here from what I can tell.

-I used to run a LOT when I was younger. In high school, Iā€™d run 8-16 miles a day (1-2 8 mile sessions). Even being out of practice now, I find I can get back into ā€œrunning shapeā€ pretty quick. Of course, running was easier when I weighed 150lbs vs now.

-My tolerance for misery is pretty high. Itā€™s not pain tolerance (although mine is pretty high as well), but more just my ability to keep doing something that sucks. All my high rep squats workouts, death medleys, prowler work, etc, have made it so that, even without great running ability, I can gut it out just fine.

-The tolerance combined with being on a treadmill means I just have to get through the workout. If I had to pace myself, I doubt Iā€™d be able to keep it up, but letting the treadmill decide the pace means I just have to match it. Having the setting at 0 for incline plays a roll as well (running on a level street is supposed to be equal to a 1, so itā€™ snot quite analogous).

Another big part of it is just that Iā€™m so excited to finally be doing SOMETHING athletic that Iā€™m enjoying the challenge of maintaining the pace for longer and longer. Same way I ended up pushing the prowler for a mile.

@cavemansam Sounds like a great program man. Just the kinda old school stuff people need. No need to feel bad about the rant; I have an entire blog dedicated to how I feel after those interactions. Dumb thoughts can inspire a lot of rage.

Single legged SSB box squats 305+chains
1x12+4+4 (rest pause)

(1) SSB box squats
1x100

Notes: Legs are just annihilated from all the running, so I slowed the progression down a touch. Really just wasnā€™t wanting to do this, but once I got 2 reps into the workset I snapped back into it. Those 100 squats are getting slower these days, but theyā€™re also feeling much better. Iā€™ll have to figure out my next step soon. Left shoulder/elbow is getting a little achy from supporting my weight as well.

Blast strap fallouts hold
2:00

Notes: Abs just canā€™t handle these like they used to. Most likely because theyā€™re getting pounded from other movements.

Axle deadlifts 66lbs
1x100

Reverse hypers 90lbs
4x12

General notes: Woke up at 195.2. Muscles are feeling beat, but the joints and ligaments are holding up well.

Well, thatā€™s something Iā€™m trying to work towards to be honest. Any tips for that? I tend to find myself wanting to give up during AMRAP/hard conditioning type workouts rather easily. During those moments, Iā€™ll usually be asking myself ā€œWhat will Alpha or T3hPwnisher do?ā€. That usually gets me 10-20% further but eventually I still do end up giving in to the workout and feeling like a piece of shit. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll build up willpower and all over time but is there any specific advice you can offer?

You know, thatā€™s a great question, and it means a lot you think of me for inspiration.

Iā€™m gonna kind of stream of consciousness this, because itā€™s not really something that can be captured.

Itā€™s honestly one of those sorta ā€œchicken and eggā€ moments. Some believe that itā€™s just something that youā€™re born with, and some have it and some donā€™t. Spec ops selection is supposed to hinge on that premise. I like to intentionally subject myself to terrible conditions (sub 0 temps, extreme heat, early morning, etc etc) in order to build up my tolerance, but it begs the question if I needed to be a little damaged in the first place to even want to do it.

Fundamentally, you need a basic disregard for your own wellbeing, and honestly a bit of self loathing. Someone who loves themselves is probably not going to willingly submit themselves to what fundamentally boils down to self destruction (even if the end goal is self improvement). If you are satisfied with yourself, the incentive to become more is lacking.

Another big part of it is to be able to disassociate ā€œyouā€ from your body. This isnā€™t necessarily Zen, or ā€œfinding your happy placeā€ or astral projection or anything like that, but more just not considering your body a part of who you are. My body is just a shell that holds ā€œmeā€. As such, Iā€™m not really worried about destroying it, because it doesnā€™t destroy ā€œmeā€.

Whenever Iā€™m going through what I call ā€œlife sucks trainingā€, where the goal is to build up my ability to withstand misery, I find myself cursing at my body the whole time. Like legitimately ā€œf**k you, I HOPE you get hurtā€. I know itā€™s corny, but itā€™s what goes through my mind. My mind punishes my body for itā€™s weakness, and pain or misery tells me that I need to push harder. I wrote an article about ā€œEmbrace your Inner Pescinessā€ that detailed this quite a bit.

This is rambling a bit, so let me see if I can reign it in a touch. A technique that I use is one of self deception. Letā€™s say Iā€™m pushing the prowler, and I tell myself Iā€™m going to push it for 10 90ā€™ sprints. If, at around the 8th sprint, if I find myself looking forward to the training being over, then Iā€™ll throw in an extra 4 sprints, because that was a sign that I was allowing myself to be weak. If, when I get to the 13th I feel excited for it to be over again, Iā€™ll add on again. Itā€™s only when I find myself too miserable to feel joy that I know to conclude the session. You could do the same thing with AMRAPs, when you feel like you only have 2 more reps left, push as hard as you can, and no matter how many reps you get, rest pause it and do it again and again. If youā€™re running a medley and you run out of gas, rest for a second and then pick up the implement and keep going. Drag it if you have to, but basically train your body to understand that just because it gives up doesnā€™t mean that the work is done.

There are some other tricks you can do, like having a training partner remove the j-hooks from the rack when youā€™re squatting and only being allowed to have them back when you hit a goal rep, or only running your implements in a straight line away from the starting line so that you HAVE to carry them all the way back regardless. Basically ā€œtraining without a netā€.

Itā€™s a gradual process to be sure, but if you constantly place yourself in uncomfortable situations, you learn how to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

I hope that helps. Let me know if I can clarify anything.

1 Like

Seriously, you should write a book one day or at least have a compilations of your best moments. This might very well be one of them.

The way I view it is, everyone is born with it in some capacitiy, some more than others. It is something that can be developed just that most people choose not to.

This part well, Iā€™ve never really thought of it this way. Disassociating my body from me. I get what you mean but sheesh, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s at least a few people out there who think youā€™re crazy.

Read it. Loved it. This is just a really really good add on point to the topic.

Well check, Iā€™ve been told Iā€™m rather reckless. Iā€™ve even been told that the way I train isnā€™t sustainable by some and Iā€™ll injure myself eventually but so far I seem to be doing alright. I would say there is definitely some degree of self loathing within me, never actually being happy/satisfied with myself. I suddenly think of Alphaā€™s Neversate. The name just resonates with me. Neversate. Never satiated.

Iā€™ll try this out as soon as I can. Too miserable to feel joy, that certainly sounds like a shit ton of hell.

sounds like one of your blog post ,part of the reason i like your writing your different
there is also the ā€œOH SHITā€ principle
the more often you are involved in an oh shit incident then given time to recover
starts taking more for it to become an oh shit situation

firmly believe its something you are born with,however i believe some people can develop their ability to embrace the ā€œsuckā€ if they can find the motivation
like you have said before enter a contest do not back out will give alot of people the motivation to push their training

Didnā€™t quote all of it because of the length, but that post was spot the fuck on. I like to listen to Parabola by Tool during times where Iā€™m going to need some serious tuning out during a big effort. Loving the progress and sharing of knowledge as always brother!

@Beanything Thanks for the support dude. Appreciate the feedback, and glad you enjoyed what I wrote. Iā€™ve asked Alpha to swingby and give his perspective as well, so we should have a good amount of data.

I am sure a lot of folks think Iā€™m crazy; I hear it pretty often, haha.

@cavemansam Totally spot on with that principle. Tolerance/desensitization can be a powerful tool as well. Iā€™ve written before about how radically skewed my sense of normalcy has become, but in many cases thatā€™s a good thing.

@strongmanvinny2 Thanks for seconding what I wrote dude; youā€™re another one of those guys that I think of as having ā€œthe right kind of crazyā€. Appreciate you sharing your experience on the matter.

Axle bench
5xAxle
5x75
5x115
5x165
3x210
3x240
14x270
21x210

Notes: This felt better than last session. The weight felt heavier, but my air didnā€™t run out like before.

NG chins 65lbs
5x10

Hammer curls 40lbs
5x12

Notes: Sets between sets of bench.

Axle strict press 128
2x10
1x9
1x8
1x7+2 RP

Axle strict pres 66
1x15

DB lateral raises 10lbs
6xpain

Notes: No real progress from last week. Probably just getting hammered with volume.

General notes: Woke up at 194.4. Left elbow is pretty pissed off which is unusual; normally itā€™s my right. Going to go hard on the glucosamine. Hit a PR of 80 dips at least. Also, dropped a 10lb plate straight on my toe from waist height during the workout. Thankfully it hit the knuckle and not the nail.

I donā€™t actually like making requests of people but it sure has been awhile since you made a rant video, wouldnā€™t you agree? Ahahahahaha, I would say youā€™re rather well known for them. ā€œThere Will Be No Survivorsā€ actually changed my outlook on life. If you ever do decide to make another video, Iā€™m sure the stuff mentioned above would be good material.

EDIT: Watching the ā€œThere Will Be No Survivorsā€ video, just noticed that thereā€™s only 873 views. Scratch that, you should be well known for them. More people should watch your rant videos.

Well, since Pwnisher requested it, I thought I would give my two cents on the mental toughness stuff.

I think the main thing that keeps people from reaching past their preconceived notions of ā€œpossibleā€ is fear.

Fear of the unknown, fear of getting hurt, fear of failure, fear of what otherā€™s are going to think, fear of breaking down your own egoā€¦

I donā€™t think people are really born mentally strong. i think it is like anything else, it all begins with small things. The first time you tried to ride a bike, there was a certain amount of fear. Fear of getting hurt, letting you parents down, getting laughed at ectā€¦but once you crashed a couple of times, realized that you didnā€™t die and no one loved you less for doing so, you made that connection and you were willing to go a little deeper into you courage reserves.

The first time you ever asked a girl out, there was fear. The fear of rejection, of what others would think, fear of not being good enough (ego). But once you got turned down a few times, you realized that it wasnā€™t nearly as bad as you imagined it to be.

I think building mental fortitude during exercise is the exact same way. The only way you will progress is to get comfortable with being uncomfortable and living in that realm that most people shy away from.

Next time you are in the middle of an AMRAP set and you start to feel yourself mentally breaking, donā€™t think, ā€œwhat would this person do, or that person would doā€ ask yourself, ā€œwho do I want to become.ā€ If you want to be average and settle for ā€œgood enoughā€ then give up. That is what a rational, normal, sane individual would choose to do. There is nothing wrong with that if that is the person you are content in being. Everyone is on a different path, donā€™t try to be like anyone else, but rather try to be the best version of yourself.

Now, if you are in that same AMRAP set and you feel yourself breaking, but you want to become better, dig in. Forget about how you stand up against someone else, forget about the fear of getting hurt, forget about what anyone else is going to think and do more reps. Then once you feel you are REALLY done, get a few more. The first time you do this you may only get 1-2 more after you felt yourself breaking. But that is more than you thought you could do. The next time you try it, get 3 more than you thought you could do. Each time you do this and walk away from it uninjured, you have set an anchor. Just make sure that you are not stopping until you are truly spent. Hanging out in that uncomfortable realm is where progress is made. If you are staying within your preconceived limits, you will always quit before you are actually done and this action will bleed into other areas of your life. Always start before you feel ā€œreadyā€ or ā€œrestedā€ and NEVER go home wishing that you would have done more. Itā€™s not about being better than anyone else, it is about being better than you were yesterday. Results come through years of work and if it were easy, everyone would be tough. I donā€™t know that Pwnisher or myself are mentally stronger than anyone else, but i can guarantee you that we have both spent more time in the suck (both in the gym and out of the gym) than most, and that is what sets us apart. Once you get there, you recognize this trait in other people. And it is not just with guys who pick up heavy things. You can see it is housewives, grandparents or even young children. But people who have spent enough time in discomfort are initiated. I have never met Pwnisher in real life, but I feel a certain closeness with him. not because we know much of anything about each other, but I know he ā€œgets itā€. It is a tough fraternity to get into, but once you are there, you never really leave.

Once you have built this up over years, you will figure out how to ā€œflip the switchā€. For me, before I go full potato on something, I say to myself, ā€œdo your job.ā€ Thatā€™s it. But I know that anything worth doing is worth overdoing and moderation is for cowards. So for me, ā€œdo your job.ā€ means going until the work is done. Not going until I donā€™t feel like it, not quitting when it gets hard, but going full at it and not stopping until the job is done.

I think pwnisher already mentioned some good ways to build mental toughness in simple everyday life. Like exposing yourself to cold temperatures. Take ice baths, contrast showers, spend the night outside during the winter without a tent. Go a few days without eating any food at all. Make a list of 30 things that scare you and force yourself to confront them over the next month. Rather than willing yourself to do more reps, set a clock and force yourself to do X number of reps at the top of every minute for 30 Minutes. Take your will out of it. Make the clock the judge. Take part in a challenge that has a cause bigger than your own feelings like the 22 Squats for 22 veterans that i recently did. Find out what motivates you and focus on that rather than giving into your emotions, feeling sorry for yourself and choosing to take the role of the victim. There are no victims. You choose your reality. You are blessed to even have the ability to hate your life during an AMRAP set. That is a gift. What is you get in a car accident today and were paralyzed from the neck down? Then i bet you would never take something like 10 prowler sprints for granted again. Sticking yourself in a place mentally and physically where you deny yourself the basic ā€œrightsā€ that people think they deserve is the only way you truly earn those things. Your least favorite food will quickly become your favorite after you havenā€™t eaten for 5 days.

These things donā€™t need to be big changes. Small incremental differences over time build up to great things.

Do something every single day that scares you, because if you can get comfortable with being uncomfortable, then there is literally nothing in this world that can have power over you. The choice is yours but it is fleeting. Donā€™t take it for granted or sleep on it. If you choose to be average, then be average. Like i said, there is nothing wrong with that. But if you want to be better, the only thing stopping you is yourself.

4 Likes

@Benanything Donā€™t worry about making requests dude, I aim to please. I definitely have a lot of material for a video, itā€™s just a question of getting the time to shoot the video and upload it since my connection is so crappy.

No sweating the low video views; I donā€™t advertise. Iā€™m honestly pretty amazed itā€™s that much, haha.

@Alpha You have once again gone above and beyond dude. Thanks so much for all that you put there; itā€™s solid gold. Your point about fear is so true; people are afraid to ever get hurt or injured, or fail in any way, and until they get over it, theyā€™re trapped.

Just an outstanding piece you put together, thanks for taking the time to write it.

Excellent piece Alpha and like what T3hPwnisher said, you definitely outdid yourself with the lengthy and well detailed reply. Iā€™ll definitely keep what youā€™ve said in mind.