Quotes - Favorites

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
In a world where billions believe their deity conceived a mortal child with a virgin human, it’s stunning how little imagination most people display.

[/quote]

Even more stunning when you consider how many different deities are said to have fathered mortal children with virgin women throughout the ages. Zeus alone must have fathered enough to populate a small village. [/quote]

No that was the devil going back through time and implanting those stories to cast doubt on the truth.[/quote]

How do you know?
[/quote]

As Devil’s Advocate one does have access to certain information.

Can’t really discuss that, though: attorney-client privelege, you know. [/quote]

In context to the broader text, that quote is satire and a social comentary not on the belief itself, rather on the masses who can use their imagination or ‘faith’ to beleive in something in relation to god but not in their own lives, art, work or self imposed limits.

Basically saying “So you can beleive in Jesus and Moses parting an ocean but not that there is more to life than a steady paycheck and social norms because the latter is too unbelievable”

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:
In a world where billions believe their deity conceived a mortal child with a virgin human, it’s stunning how little imagination most people display.

[/quote]

Even more stunning when you consider how many different deities are said to have fathered mortal children with virgin women throughout the ages. Zeus alone must have fathered enough to populate a small village. [/quote]

No that was the devil going back through time and implanting those stories to cast doubt on the truth.[/quote]

How do you know?
[/quote]

Can’t really discuss that, though: attorney-client privelege, you know. [/quote]

In context to the broader text, that quote is satire and a social comentary not on the belief itself, rather on the masses who can use their imagination or ‘faith’ to beleive in something in relation to god but not in their own lives, art, work or self imposed limits.

Basically saying “So you can beleive in Jesus and Moses parting an ocean but not that there is more to life than a steady paycheck and social norms because the latter is too unbelievable”
[/quote]

Yeah, well, here’s another Palahniuk quote about faith and fatherhood.

“If you’re male and you’re Christian and living in America, your father is your model for God. And if you never know your father, if your father bails out or dies or is never at home, what do you believe about God? What you have to consider is the possibility that God doesn’t like you. Could be, God hates us. This is not the worst thing that could happen.”

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
? Albert Einstein

Nothing too edgy or time tested:

So the media, and the Democratic Party itself (but, as always, I repeat myself)

-Ace of Spades

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

How do you know?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, well, here’s another Palahniuk quote about faith and fatherhood.

“If you’re male and you’re Christian and living in America, your father is your model for God. And if you never know your father, if your father bails out or dies or is never at home, what do you believe about God? What you have to consider is the possibility that God doesn’t like you. Could be, God hates us. This is not the worst thing that could happen.”[/quote]

Fight Club right?

On the subject of God and parenting I like this one, but it could just be that Invisible Monsters is still fresh in my mind from a recent read

“Parents are like God because you wanna know they’re out there, and you want them to think well of you, but you really only call when you need something.”

“When your true enemies are too strong, you have to choose weaker enemies.”

-Umberto Eco

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
[/quote]

Is that why you’re always battling the Overfiend? Because your true enemies are too strong?

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
[/quote]

Is that why you’re always battling the Overfiend? Because your true enemies are too strong?[/quote]
Mocking does not equal battling. I have no enemies because I’m too lazy to care.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
[/quote]

Is that why you’re always battling the Overfiend? Because your true enemies are too strong?[/quote]

a fully grown man that plays with puppets doesn’t honestly comprehend how to battle.

P.S.

…his overfiend fantasy man could be found if he actually gave one single quote that could then be searched on what are known as cached websites. there are no quotes evidently.

Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you’ll be criticized anyway. You’ll be damned if you do, and damned if you don’t. - Eleanor Roosevelt

…my favorite quote

[quote]conservativedog wrote:

…my favorite quote [/quote]

Hehe.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
“Pardon me, sir. I did not do it on purpose.”

Marie Antoinette after stepping on her executioner’s foot.

[/quote]

love it , a tale of Capitalism

David.

“The next time you try to seduce anyone, don’t do it with talk, with words. Women know more about words than men ever will. And they know how little they can ever possibly mean.” - William Faulkner

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure… than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” - Teddy Roosevelt

“Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Pain

“Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property… Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.” - Thomas Pain

“Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.” - Joseph Stalin

“Prudence, indeed, will dicate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient reasons; and accordingly all experience hath shown, that mankind are more disposed to suffer while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.”

-Thomas Jefferson

Emphasis mine.

Not a blanket-endorsement of the author; just a nice quote:

[quote]A colleague once defined an academic discipline as a group of scholars who had agreed not to ask certain embarrassing questions about key assumptions. Mark Nathan Cohen, Health and the Rise of Civilization, 1989
[/quote]

(As cited in Gary Taubes, Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, And The Controversial Science Of Diet And Health).