Pulse Feast with MMA Training

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:
Fighters probably aren’t going to be able to squat much. They need to maintain a certain level of cardio and be able to move around on the balls of their feet, kick quickly, and be flexible enough to kick to the head and wrap their legs around someone’s body when grappling. [/quote]
I understand that, obviously, but I’m talking about the apparent press/squat discrepancy. A 1.5xBodyweight squat is solid, but having that kind of strength imbalance is a sign that something in the training (or worse, in the body) is imbalanced. Also, it’s not like squatting 315 will instantly make him slow, inflexible, and “muscle-bound” or something.

[quote]rparish wrote:
i am currently training jiu jitsu followed my a stand up class right after usually from 5-7 at night. Tuesdays and Thursdays a train the same thing but in the morning at 11-1 then at night from 5-7. I lift around 3 in the afternoon and am currently doing a 5 day split. i lift shoulders, back, arms, legs and chest each on a different day not in a particular order. Ive been lifting 4 sets with 6-8 reps per set. i do around 6 exercises per body part.[/quote]
6 exercises per bodypart? Please let that be a typo. You’re lifting like a bodybuilder, but you want to be an MMA fighter. Something needs to change. Definitely look into 5/3/1 for MMA (or 5/3/1 for Athletes, which was an article on the site a few days ago). Also, take a look at the Combat forum and see how the guys there prefer to train.

This is a huge warning sign that something needs to change immediately. Did you recently increase your training volume, or have you always done so much MMA and weight training together?

What did you eat yesterday?

You’re doing a lot of training, so you obviously need plenty of calories to recover. But with a better plan (training and nutrition), you can definitely drop some fat. Like I said, if you know your body well enough, consider the pulse fast or IF’ing. Or, swing it the other way and look into the G-Flux concept (training hard and properly while eating plenty and properly):

Yep, they’re notoriously inaccurate. And in any case, if your ultimate goal is to be a fighter, your bodyfat percentage doesn’t matter at all.

From the training plan you described, I don’t see a focus on the squat at all.

Not true if you have the right training plan, which you don’t.

“Proper form” for the clean is one that gets the bar from the ground (or from the waist) to the rack position without causing injury. I definitely believe that “good enough” technique is 100% fine for the majority of people, unless they plan on competing in the Olympic lifts. So it’s just a matter of treating the clean like any other exercise. Respect it, start light, and be consistent. You should be able to develop “good enough” technique after a bit more experience.