Positioning Heavy Dumbbells

I do what i call practice runs.

When i bench dbs i place them next to my feet stand up grab lift them to my knees and sit down with them upright.Then i pop them up and lean back (insert fat joe music here).

For practice runs i just do the first 2/3 of the process,bend lift place on knees repeat.

[quote]Beast Status wrote:
This is a classic case of someone talking about something with out ever actually having done it. Beast, you’ve got two people who’ve done it both ways and we are both saying the one arm method is good. I’m not saying it’s better, just that it has advantages in some ways and I think safer overall.

The reaching across you keep talking about doesn’t exist. When you steady it with your free hand you hold it straight in front. If you actually reached across, I’m pretty sure you would roll off the bench.

Again, no stress on the spine.

Your right, i havent done it. i dont do stupid exercises that yank on my spine. Look up some videos of people performing your “1 arm press”. 90% of the dudes who do this exercise, perform it on an exercise ball. That alone proves my point of how gay this exercise is. What happened to old school bench’s, wide grip benches, heavy dumbell’s etc etc etc. The only excuse should be a bum shoulder and its the only way you can press. Other than that…pointless.

[/quote]

They’re not a staple of what I do, but I’ve done 1-arm DB presses before as well.

1. They do not hurt your spine. At all.
  2. They’re a great lift if you’re strong enough to press an XXX lb DB, but can’t easily get two of them in position.
  3. As you touched on, they can be good for lifters with shoulder problems.

Finally, what makes 1-arm presses “gay”, when 1-arm Kroc rows are all the rage right now? Do we need some brand-name lifter to make a bunch of videos of himself doing these before you jump on the bandwagon?

Hey man. Im all for 1 arm rows. Those are great. Thats not what ur doing. Tell me why 1 arm dumbell presses are better than using 2 hands. And for the record, setting up with heavy dumbells on flat bench is not all that difficult if you have a solid core foundation. Just because your spine isnt in pain from doing them, doesnt mean they arent pulling it in a way it shouldnt be pulled on.

How is it pulling your spine? They don’t pull your spine at all. Try them before you keep on posting how they’ll hurt your spine.

One-arm presses aren’t some secret, magic lift, but they’re a good alternative when you’re having trouble setting up two DB’s.

They don’t pull your spine at all. Try them before you keep on posting how they’ll hurt your spine.

One-arm presses aren’t some secret, magic lift, but they’re a good alternative when you’re having trouble setting up two DB’s.

I agree with GSlinger, I use 1 hand DB press for flat and incline in a rotation with my 2 handed press. My use of the 1 arm is due to shoulder injuries. When pushing heavy weights I use to drop the weights after my set but it was pulling my shoulder so I incorporated the 1 hand and appreciate the ability to control the weight coming up and going down.

What ever works for you I say do it, this is all about making gains without hurting yourself or others. What works for us may not work for you. Good exercise though for shoulder injuries and being able to control heavy weight or if you just want to mix it up a little.

[quote]

How is it pulling your spine? They don’t pull your spine at all. Try them before you keep on posting how they’ll hurt your spine.

One-arm presses aren’t some secret, magic lift, but they’re a good alternative when you’re having trouble setting up two DB’s.[/quote]

point taken about an easier settup. i just dont see any reason to bother with them if u have no problem setting up with 2 dumbells.