Perpetual Motion

[quote]Trogdor wrote:
my gf brings up a good point, you could replace the alternator with a standard surge protector that is plugged into itself and use that to power your house. [/quote]

I’m guessing you have to plug it in really fast but only while there is a strong current flowing…

Wow…
…wow

What gets me is the fact that you just don’t realize what you’re talking about here and its significance if it actually worked.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Kailash, I hardly qualify as someone with a closed mind.[/quote]

But all you said was, “If it hasn’t happened yet, it’s impossible.”

How much more closed-minded can you get?

While you’re at it, tool, how about you go tell every innovative genius that ever refused to listen to “the voice of reason” that their ideas were impossible.

You couldn’t even tell Bullpup why it wouldn’t work. Why did you even post at all? Fucking pathetic…

wait… I reread this… are you seriously planning on using a “leg of power” from the alternator to power an electric engine TO POWER THE ALTERNATOR???

That’s like driving your car to the gas station, getting exactly as much (or even a little less, with resistance) gas as it took you to drive out and home, then driving home, then realizing that you have the same amount of gas except a little less and repeating the process. Durrrr…

[quote]You don’t want your mind so open your brain falls out.[/quote]:smiley: I’m going to steal this if that’s cool with you Zap.

[quote]bullpup wrote:
What does thermodynamics have to do with it? I’m trying to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and then back to mechanical energy using off the shelf items.

Bullpup[/quote]

Sorry to be a geek, but it has everything to do with it!

The first law of thermodynamics says that energy is conserved. It’s this principle that makes your idea a waste of energy, unless you have perfect components which is impossible!

Cheers,

Mdm

Also,

Why not just buy a small domestic wind turbine, or use solar power to charge your batteries or store enough diesel to power a small generator?

Cheers,

Mdm

[quote]mdm wrote:
Also,

Why not just buy a small domestic wind turbine, or use solar power to charge your batteries or store enough diesel to power a small generator?

Cheers,

Mdm

[/quote]

A wind turbine should work really well in a hurricane. Except it will probably end up in Kansas.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
mdm wrote:
Also,

Cheers,

Mdm

A wind turbine should work really well in a hurricane. Except it will probably end up in Kansas.[/quote]

But then you put it in the back of your pickup and drive it back using the power generated by the wind passing over the fan…

Sorry, it’s been a long day.

Even more than the first law, the law of entropy says that energy decays to heat. Do you imagine this thing running hot? yes. there is your waste. all these systems are very inneficient. you can’t create f**** energy! you can’t even get near a closed system (no energy lost) at home in this way. Buy some fuel and run the generator when a storm hits. simple.

And go back to primary school man… you sound like you need it.

This has nothing at all to do with closed mindednes, conservation of energy is the most esential of all physical rules. It really, really cannot be violated. really.

I beg you to go buy a very basic physics book. please.

Look guys the comments are great some are a little ignorant and spiteful. This idea came up as a way to conserve gasoline in the event of a Hurrican. If this would work, it would not be used as a total electrical source it would be a supplement to a standard internal combustion powered generator. You could run necessary electrical components on the 12V deep cycle battery and inverter for 8-12 hours at a time and then use the engine to recharge the deep cycle battery. The engine would only run for an hour at a time and help you conserve your gasoline in the evnt that there was an area wide shortage due to the hurrican.

I didn’t think of this idea to make millions it was a brain storm.

I thought it could be plausable to take off the shelf items and make something to generate power with out having to rely on gasoline all the time.

I agree there are some issues with this set up but I was merely looking for faults and anything that i haven’t thought of. I’m not interested in thermodynaics or any of the technical issues associated with trying to mass produce the aforementioned idea.

Bullpup

[quote]vroom wrote:

Granted you would never have to deal with the possibility of a hurricane and power outages that could last weeks as well as waiting hours in line for gasoline.

Yeah, natural disasters only happen to you personally. Nobody else has earthquakes, tornados, volcanoes or other disasters. Granted, Canada doesn’t have a history of them, but you never know what might happen.

Ahahahaha. A useful tool? You fool.

You are solving the entire worlds energy needs with this little “device” of yours. You are creating energy out of nothing, magic if you will, which nobody, throughout history, has ever achieved.

How can anyone ever have anything constructive to say compared to that? Just ignore the naysayers, build it, and less us know when you are the new utility company for the world.[/quote]

Vroom,
Why do you have to question peoples ideas and be a dick about it?

If your going to act like an asshole at least spell, (let us) correctly.

It has nothing to do with magic. Take for example the alternator in your car. It uses the engine mechanical power to recharge the battery. I want to use a deep cycle battery which has a longer discharge rate than a astandard 12v battery, and use an alternator to charge the battery. The alternator is driven by a small electrical engine which has the correct sized pulley combination to supply the correct RPM to the alternator to produce efficent power with out being an excessive draw on the current produced.

Bullpup

I’ve said it, Vroom has said it, pretty much everyone in the thread has said it. IT WON’T WORK!
Sure, you’d get some power out of the alternator. Sure, you’d get some charge in the battery. You sure as hell won’t generate more energy that you’re using, peroid. The entire reality you live in is based on that simple idea of not being able to create energy. (well, the reality WE live in, at least. I’m not so sure about you.)
Put this Frankengenerator together and get back to us.

[quote]Trogdor wrote:
my gf brings up a good point, you could replace the alternator with a standard surge protector that is plugged into itself and use that to power your house. [/quote]

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

its not even 9 am yet, and I’ve already laughed so hard I started crying - and not just at the above quote, just the entire thread. hilarious

[quote]bullpup wrote:
vroom wrote:

Granted you would never have to deal with the possibility of a hurricane and power outages that could last weeks as well as waiting hours in line for gasoline.

Yeah, natural disasters only happen to you personally. Nobody else has earthquakes, tornados, volcanoes or other disasters. Granted, Canada doesn’t have a history of them, but you never know what might happen.

Ahahahaha. A useful tool? You fool.

You are solving the entire worlds energy needs with this little “device” of yours. You are creating energy out of nothing, magic if you will, which nobody, throughout history, has ever achieved.

How can anyone ever have anything constructive to say compared to that? Just ignore the naysayers, build it, and less us know when you are the new utility company for the world.

Vroom,
Why do you have to question peoples ideas and be a dick about it?

If your going to act like an asshole at least spell, (let us) correctly.

It has nothing to do with magic. Take for example the alternator in your car. It uses the engine mechanical power to recharge the battery. I want to use a deep cycle battery which has a longer discharge rate than a astandard 12v battery, and use an alternator to charge the battery. The alternator is driven by a small electrical engine which has the correct sized pulley combination to supply the correct RPM to the alternator to produce efficent power with out being an excessive draw on the current produced.

Bullpup
[/quote]

you are missing the point. The alternator ALWAYS takes more energy to run than it supplies, this is stated by the second law of thermodynamics. Hence, even if you were to take all the electrical energy provided by the alternator and used to power a motor driving another alternator, the second alternator would produce less electrical energy than the first and so on.

Your proposed system could be thought of as a negative feedback loop, each cycle of alternator-motor-alternator diminishing energy until the steady state (zero energy output) is attained.

As a student of thermodynamics, this thread makes me cry.

[quote]t-ha wrote:
You don’t want your mind so open your brain falls out.:smiley: I’m going to steal this if that’s cool with you Zap.

[/quote]

Go for it.

I am sure I stole it from someone else long ago.

I have spoken to an electrical engineer here at the office and he agrees it will work if the alternators output is greater than the draw of the electric motor and the invertor combined. It will produce enough electricity to keep the invertor running and the electrical motor while maintaining a charge on the deeep cycle battery. But as far as being inexpensive he says don’t count on it, a high amperage alternator in excess off 150 amps in rather expensive.

Bullpup

[quote]bullpup wrote:
I have spoken to an electrical engineer here at the office and he agrees it will work[/quote]

Is his name Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius?

[quote]bullpup wrote:
I was going to take a leg of power from the alternator to power a 12 volt electric motor,it will be used to power the alternator after the gasoline engine is shut off.

I think it would work in theory,
[/quote]

No, it does not work in theory, and definitely not in practice. The energy received by the motor (Energy In) is partially dissipated as a heat loss, while whatever is left over is fed back to the alternator (Energy Out). I hope you can see that Energy In > Energy Out. Your idea won’t happen, case closed.