Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

I was on the phone with the new coach for an hour today. I like that he took the time to get a personal impression. He did ask about a lot of things, including diet (which is an area Paul didn’t cover). He asked pretty little about the training structure I’ve followed with Paul, I presume he has his own ideas anyway. If nothing elsey the consultation got me excited for this new experience.

4 Likes

Maybe I missed it, but do you plan to compete again this year?

Oh for sure. I hope I can fit in as many competitions as possible between work, life and covid. I’ll probably realistically aim for 3-4.

2 Likes

I did everything I could to recover and ate everything in sight.

1 deadlift
2 x 5 @ 60 kg
5 @ 100 kg
3 @ 140 kg
2 @ 180 kg
1 @ 200 kg
1 @ 220 kg

2 x 0 @ 232,5 kg

I think the flame is dimming down. Out of gas. I didn’t feel it. I actually knew it in the warm ups.

2 front squat (lightly wrapped to feel the new ones)
1 @ 140 kg

After realizing that I’ve sat on the floor for half an hour, I packed my things and left. In a very bad mood.

Notes:

• I think I’ve had a bit of bad luck this training cycle and missed the point where things could have played out as planned. At this point we should probably deload and just take what is there. I’m sad about this. But I guess that’s life, eh? Maybe 240 could still happen if I recover and get my head back in the game!
6 Likes

I’ve noticed some negative mood fluctuations for a little while now. There are multiple factors at play here. I wonder if the training situation is a factor or a product.

1 Like

You’ve been going through a lot lately. Sorry to hear about the Deadlift.

How are your vitamin D levels?
Since it’s winter, low vitamin D levels might contribute to low mood and poor immunity. I believe you’ve also mentioned a deficiency in the past

1 Like

I honestly have no idea. It’s been a while that it was measured. I don’t think it’s a major factor compared to some fuck ups with my regular medicine though. Which was my fault but nevertheless.

1 Like

Okay, that makes sense.

1 deadlift
5 x 2 @ 140 kg

2 power jerk (from yesterday)
4 x 3 @ 105 kg

3a lat pull down
3 x 12

3b hip thrust
3 x 6 @ 100 kg

3c hanging leg raises
3 x 10 @ 2,5 kg

Notes:

• Paul agreed: Deload and then go for broke. He encouraged me to not judge too quick and stay positive.
  • I don’t know if I can expect anything but I’m gonna lay it all out there on the day and grab whatever I can.
6 Likes

1 oh squat
3 x 5 @ 60 kg

2 deadlift
5 @ 160 kg

3 power jerk
2 x 1 @ 130 kg

Supposed to be a double. Not even my overhead is loyal atm. Been a while that I’ve had 130 on the bar for oh.

Notes:

• Back was feeling kinda iffy and tight today. Didn’t really change through training.
  • will try to get a massage over the weekend.
  • apart from that, things seem to be on the mend. Stress is regulating better, sleep is looking better and I’m feeling less anxious. Medical situation is also stabilizing.
    So don’t count me out just yet!
7 Likes

Back bit tight but a lot better. Will be fine in time.

1 squat
3 @ 140 kg

2 deadlift
4 x 2 @ 140 kg

3 seated box jumps
5 x 3

4 lat pull down
2 x 10

Good quick session. Everything felt fine for a change

4 Likes

Back felt absolutely fine today.
I did fuck all this weekend. Our internet has been down since Friday, so I couldn’t get any university work done really and I didn’t go out much either. I sat on my arse for the most part. That did the trick and I feel better overall. I think that regeneration might be kicking in. Hopefully it’s followed by some juicy super compensation.
I’ll get a massage from the friend I used to get regular massages from (y’all remember? The one I confessed to that I had feelings for her). Since that’s an option again, I chose to get that extra bit of recovery to get the back and hammies ready. Excitement is coming back too.

Also I already have the first week from coach Max. Interesting stuff and very different from what I’m doing rn. As expected a lot more “bodybuilding like” as well.

7 Likes

Excited to see what this looks like.

1 Like

Feel free not to answer, but are you back in the friendzone with her? If a girl I had a crush on gave me a massage…well that would be great, but also a problem.

2 Likes

Yeah we are continuing our friendship again. Which I am quite happy about. She also specified she is now fine with everything that happened (it’s been a while…) and offered to give me massages again.
I know that sounds weird. It may get better if you remember that we are both physio students and this kind of stuff isn’t as “erotically charged” for us. You lose a lot of inhibitions throughout this education, haha.

I admit that back then when those feelings were strong, I had to really concentrate on where I was during weekly hip flexor massages.

Edit: She also knows that I am seeing someone I have sex with. I don’t think the decision is based on that but it surely didn’t hurt to know.

3 Likes

Well it might not surprise you but this shit show of a training cycle found a fitting end. Literally one of the worst training cycles I’ve ever had. At this stage I didn’t just not get better - I am genuinely weaker than before. It’s sad that this is how I have to part ways with Paul but that step is definitely good for me in light of these events. Just because I think I need a change of pace and a new outlook. So doing something different is probably going to be good for me.

1 deadlift
2 x 5 @ 60 kg
5 @ 100 kg
3 @ 140 kg
1 @ 180 kg
1 @ 200 kg
1 @ 220 kg
0 @ 240 kg
0 @ 240 kg

fucked around a bit on bench and left to lick my wounds.

8 Likes

Sucks you ended on a bad note but you seem to be starting on a high note with the new coach and everything! Excited to see where you take it

3 Likes

Rough stuff, failing deadlifts is miserable. Hopefully Maximus (fucking love that name) changes things up enough that you see some solid progress in the coming months.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing how the fresh start unfolds.

1 Like

See now you’re just showing off.

2 Likes