Per aspera ad astra (strongman Koestrizer)

I have pasta and (real, non-keto) bread maybe once a year in general.

Evidently, bad examples of on my part. Would you abstain from having… I don’t know. Nuts, together with your carby meals?

Yup. Again: carbs are ONLY eaten around training, so those meals have no fats in them (maybe 3 grams total from trace sources).

1 Like

So then you’d avoid fatty cuts as well? Even before you got your blood values

I don’t eat meat before training unless it’s an unplanned meal. This is purely a pre-training meal. It’s been cereal mixed with egg whites, skim milk and raw honey for a bit now.

1 Like

Righteous! Even though you don’t calorie count you do employ more or less everything else that articles here would suggest that we do. Thanks for letting me pick at the details

1 Like

Yeah, I found that Justin Harris and I are very much on the same wavelength.

Always happy to chat dude

Where’s the best place to read his stuff? Elitefts?

Yeah. I went through the old nutrition articles recently and we seem to really jive on the same stuff.

I’ve been following elite fts content for a couple of years now and I love his articles- great writing style too!

I’ve tried to follow his guidelines (which all make sense and are likely optimal), but personally found them hard to adhere to. (ex. I really love fruit and often don’t eat it around training)

I figured and I think I’m gonna try the same to start out and see if limiting food choices itself is enough to get me started.

1 Like

That will go a LONG way toward initial fat loss, and I’m a big fan of that approach. I think of it as “intentional inefficiencies”. If you have extra junk in your diet, you can just slowly strip that out and change nothing else and watch the fat go away.

I was eating pop-tarts as a pre-workout meal when I was at my heaviest on my recent weight gaining cycle. I cut them out first thing and easily lost the first 5lbs, changing almost nothing else.

1 Like

Bit late, but congrats on the great showing!

1 Like

I’m about to head out to shop for groceries. Anything I’m missing guys? @T3hPwnisher @Voxel?

To start things off, I want to employ as many of Pwn’s guidelines as possible + just play portion size by ear and see where that leads me after 1-2 weeks. The one thing I’m doing slightly differently is the carb timing. My training plan usually consists of full body workout and I actually do some kind of squat or deadlift on every day, so I will use carbs before and possibly in small amounts after those sessions.

1 Like

The simplicity appeals to me. I fucking hate thinking about this stuff and planning meals in advance. So I think this approach will, after an adjustment phase, be a good fit.

1 Like

Only thing I would say is, if you are going to eat carbs on training days, make those low fat days and then split your rest days between high fat and low fat. I wouldn’t do high fat on the same days as high carbs.

2 Likes

Yep, good point :+1:. No mixing carbs and fats.

Personally, I find cereal and honey to digest too quickly but this depend on how far away you eat it before training. I’d rather have something more akin to a proper meal 90-120 minutes before. Maybe 60, but then I’ll eat less. And again, this is me personally, cereal and honey is something I might opt for post-workout. This probably does not apply to you but I don’t want to respond with silence. So my list would contain pasta, certain breads, oats, buckwheat, sweet potatoes,…

You buy protein powder at the grocery store? Isn’t the markup horrendous? It is here.

No cheese?! We have a fantastic 10% fat cheese here.

Beef, I mean, I don’t know if you’re going for 5%/10%/20% so can’t really say anything.

I like bacon as a protein+fat breakfast, 6 slices, 2 eggs, 1dl of egg whites.

1 Like

Nah nah, that was the food list, not the shopping list. I buy that online.

Got a great looking 1,3 kg of 5% fat lean cut beef! But also bought fattier meats such as burger patties, whole chicken legs and 2 fresh sausages (was a good offer), together with lean fish. All in all, this is what we’ve got:

3 Likes

You can rarely buy egg whites in the supermarket and definitely not outside of big cities, so that will follow with an online order.