Old Guy Strength

Using the rack you bring the bar down to the safety bars, which are just above your chest. You then press it off from a dead stop. It’s the same as paused bench presses, but you are resting the weight on something at the bottom.

8/3/17

Leg Press:
450 x 20, 540 x 20, 630 x 20, 720 x 20, 810 x 20, 900 x 20

LP From Dead Stop At The Bottom:
5 sets x 5 reps x 500

Narrow Stance (six inches):
2 sets x 30 reps x 450

Leg Extensions:
4 sets x 10 reps x 205

I’m down to 16 days to go. Thus far everything feels ok. My back is the best it has been in weeks.

It has been very hot here in Central Washington. Today it is supposed to be around 105. My buddy (same guy who got me started on apple cider vinegar) told me about drinking pickle juice to stay hydrated. I did my own research, and found he was telling the truth. I have been taking a shot before I got to work. In about an hour I am going to mow my acre of yard. I’ll take another shot at that point. It tastes really bad, but it does have benefits if anyone needs any hydration tips.

1 Like

8/7/17

Bench:
135 x 10, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 245 x 1, 315 x 5, 385 x 1, 410 x 1, 425 x 1

Pec Fly Machine:
4 sets x 20 reps x 130

Svend Press:
4 sets x 50 reps x 3 plates (10s)

Treadmill:
15 minutes / 146 calories

Today was my final heavy bench day before the meet. I figure I’ll work in openers on next Monday. 425 went up real strong. In fact it was better than 410. I pissed myself off my not staying tight at 410. It felt harder than it needed to be.

8/8/17

Treadmill:
10 min / 47 calories

Lat Pulls:
10 sets x 15 reps x 100

Biceps Gauntlet

Concentration Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 35

BB Strict Curls:
40 x 10
50 x 10
60 x 10
70 x 10

Reverse DB Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 30

This is not what I had planned at all. I wanted to hit my final deadlift day. When I arrived, however, there was a lady working out there. It was no big deal, I thought I would just stretch out and get ready. As soon as she left, “crossfit guy” swooped in. He then took over half the gym doing various crazy things. The also stood around and talked to a guy for 10 minutes. I sat at the lat pull machine, and just gave him the death stare. He did not get it. I don’t want to go off on crossfit, because it’s a real thing. Maybe, however, you can show some gym manners.

I decided to just move on and do something. It’s probably for the best anyway. I have to work tomorrow, and then I go on vacation for a week and a half. I’ll get my final pull in on Thursday.

Man that sucks, missing out on deads due to some clowns in the gym, I’d be pissed!

I loaded up on pre-workout too.

Stares don’t cut it in my gym. I just go ask the guy how much longer or can I work in. Never had such a request fail. You likely look more intimidating than me, so it should work every time.

Not that I don’t look intimidating in gym.

8/10/17

Deadlift:
135 x 10, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 275 x 1, 315 x 1, 425 x 1, 455 x 1, 500 x 1

Laying Leg Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 125

I was finally able to pull today. I kept the volume down, since I am only nine days out. I’ve pulled a lot more in my life, but with this gear I’ll take it.

I also cut things short because today my daughter, Emily, turns 16 today. She and her mom are heading down to get her license now. I won’t lie, I had a tear in my eye as they drove off. She’s my youngest, and my little girl.

8/14/17

Bench Opener:
135 x 10, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 245 x 1, 315 x 5, 370 x 1

Svend Press:
4 sets x 20 reps x 2 plates (50s)

Treadmill:
15 minutes, 126 calories

I should have gotten my opener workout in during the weekend, but the family went to Seattle for the weekend. 370 was lighter than I have been opening with, but it will probably be where I will be for the meet. It was very light and easy.

The rest of the week will consist of cardio, water, chicken and stretching.

Good luck with that cardio, water, chicken and stretching. Doesn’t sound like fun.

What weight category are you?

yeah man, here we go!!! looking forward to the write up and vids.

i’m out until Sat, so relax but keep moving, and take all of ourTnation O-35 strenght with you :wink:

Be strong.

You’re easily strong enough, it’s all mental now.

Crippler have an awesome meet !

Thanks fellas. Nothing left to day now but wait.

8/16/17

Biceps Gauntlet

Triceps PD:
10 sets x 10 reps x various

Poundstone Curls:

Treadmill:
40 minutes / 377 calories

I took the rest of the week off work, so I should be well rested come Saturday. I normally would not be lifting, but I decided to try something new. I thought a lot of reps, could also be added cardio. I’ll work on stretching the next three days.

Good luck with the meet mate.

Thank you

8/17/17

Random Stretching

Treadmill:
49 minutes / 566 calories

We leave for weigh in tomorrow. The meet is in Olympia, Washington which is about a two and a half hour drive. 24 hour weigh ins are nice, since you can load up after.

Tomorrow is also my daughter’s first day of her Junior year, and the first day she can drive to school. She’ll be staying here with my parents, but my son will be going with my wife and I. He just finished summer quarter at school and has nothing to do. It’s good because he has been around powerlifting as long as I have, and he is good help with gear and warm ups. I’ll cardio and stretch again tomorrow morning before we leave at 1100.

8/18/17

Stretching

Treadmill:
10 minutes / 87 calories

We’re heading out soon for weigh in. I’m feeling pretty good at this point.

Well I learned my bench still sucks, and was too conservative with my dead.

We arrived Friday for weigh in. It was a terrible four hour drive. Freeways were packed with people heading south to Oregon for the eclipse. Following weigh in I carbed up a couple of times.

Saturday rolled around, and I made the rules briefing at 0800. I was set to bench at 1200. I opened pretty light at 370. The bar flew up with no issues, and I got three whites. I then moved up to 407. Then my nagging issue with my left arm came back. I have battled for years with my left side lagging behind my right. I have worked and worked on it. The funny thing is, I am left handed. Anyway about half way up my left side did it again, plus my butt came off the bench. Three reds. I then went for 413. I made sure I thought hard about my left side. The bar came down smooth and then went up. I stalled about three quarters of the way up. The only positive thing was the bar was level when I crapped out.

My deadlift was at 1630. Again, I opened light. Thinking back, it was way too light. I opened at 430 and it was no issue at all. I then moved up to 470. It pulled easy, and I thought I got it. I turned and saw two red lights. I was told I did not lock out. My right knee was bent. That pissed me off, but I stayed at the same weight. I went up again and nailed 470. I got a fourth lift since I broke a record. I then attempted 501. It came up strong and easy.

Looking back I should have opened at 470. I should have finished at 530-540. My training has been so spotty lately, I was not sure. Still 501 on a fourth lift is not too bad when you figure fatigue.

I doubt very much I will compete again this year. I have already decided I will not got back to Vegas for the worlds. I have too much going on right now. I also decided to take a year off from competitive benching, so I can work on what is wrong with me. Next year will be dead only.

1 Like