Old Guy Strength

Good luck this weekend.

Thank you. We’re heading out tomorrow afternoon for weigh in.

Gravity’s suppose to be light this weekend. Do good.

Hope you kill it today and go beyond your expectations.

I licked my wounds and made it home. I fell a little off where I wanted to be, but I’m set up for the next one.

I arrived at the meet location Friday, and weighed in with no issues. My wife and I went out to eat and had a great dinner. This was the first meet I have ever been to without my kids. Being teenagers they had other stuff to do over the weekend. It was a little strange, but we discussed that this will be how it is from now on.

Anyway I made it to the rules meeting at 8:15 the next morning. There were 115 lifters and I was in the 5th flight of bench. Following the meeting I had breakfast and chilled. I was supposed to lift at 12:45 but it was closer to 2:30. I met up with a couple buddies and we warmed up together.

I opened at 363. I blew it away with no problems. I got one white light, however, because one of the judges said my handoff guy held on to the bar too long. I then went for it, with 402 on the next lift. 400 in a meet has been my mountain. My set up and handoff were good. I came down a little too fast, but I was off the chest good. Then for some reason I stalled half way up. I was pissed, but not dejected. I knew I could do it. I’ve been 30 pounds heavier in training. I stayed at 402 for lift three. I also had a different guy handoff. He is real good. This time everything was great. About two to three inches from lockout the head judge told the spotters I was “struggling” and to take the bar. I swear on everything nice in the world the bar was still moving. If I had been left alone another second or two I would have completed the lift. In fact several people told me as much. I’m not going to argue, because I suppose it was a judgement call and safety was in mind.

I then went to lunch. After lunch they were handing out bench trophies. After I got my first place trophy I went to my room for a nap. When I came down, my buddy was wondering where I was at. He said I won best lifter in my division and I was not there to collect. I had no idea, and was shocked. I talked to the meet director, and got a really cool trophy.

Deadlift as at around 6:30. I opened at 462 and blew it away. I then went for 507 and again destroyed it. Now if I wanted to break me push / pull PR I needed 540 for a third lift. My meet PR is 545 I think. I didn’t pay all that money not to break records, so I went for 540. I broke the floor, but I could not lock out. I won first for deadlift and push / pull.

I had a great time, but I’m hungry for more. My plan is to still compete in November, so I have plenty of time to get better. I already have some good training ideas. Falling short of my goals only fires me up more.

Congratulations, winning is always great. I’m sure you’ll come back in the near future and crush everything you plan for. Nice write up.

Congratulations best lifter. Good job. “Struggling” call’s a new one for me. Must have been a great time.

Congrats. Like Arnold said, you’ve got to Stay Hungry.

Congratulations.

I would never call someone for “struggling” on a bench. If there wasn’t downward motion or some other violation, it’s not legitimate and the lifter is entitled to a re-lift.

There is not way I could have completed a re-lift at that point. It is what it is.

3/17/16

Bench:
135 x 10, 185 x 3, 223 x 2, 245 x 1, 275 x 1, 315 x 3, 355 x 2, 375 x 1

DB Press:
4 sets x 12 reps x 80

Crossover:
4 sets x 12 reps x 50

The road to November started today. I was dragging ass for a while when I got there. I assume it was still hangover from this past weekend. Thing felt better as I moved along.

I am thinking I need to strengthen my bench from the mid-point to lockout. I was going to do dead presses, but someone had the rack. I’ll have to research other movements.

Board presses to strengthen the top part of your bench. Probably either two board or three board depending on your sticking point.

I thought about that earlier today too, after I wrote my thread.

3/18/16

Squats:
135 x 10, 225 x 5, 275 x 3, 315 x 1, 355 x 3, 405 x 2, 455 x 1

Good Mornings:
225 x 5
245 x 5
275 x 5
295 x 5

Laying Leg Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 135

It’s been a while since a full squat workout, so I kept it at a medium intensity. Also I forgot about the 10 pound plate thing for good mornings, so I’ll have to be sure to do it next time.

I like rotating days on the good mornings with the plates under the feet. I think doing regular good mornings after the raised toes ones is a bit easier. Seems now like I can move more weight on my traditional good mornings and that’s fun to see. You’re moving some nice weight there.

Actually, you are correct. It did feel a little easier.

3/22/16

Kroc Rows:
4 sets x 10 reps x 130

DB Front Raises:
4 sets x 10 reps x 65

Face Pulls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 100

Reverse OHP:
135 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5
175 x 5

Treadmill: 15 minutes

3/23/16

Tate Press:
4 sets x 10 reps x 40

BB Skull Crushers:
4 sets x 10 reps x 90

One Arm Extensions:
4 sets x 10 reps x 40

Rope PD:
4 sets x 15 reps x 105

DB Curls:
4sets x 10 reps x 90

Rope Curls:
4 sets x 10 reps x 100

Poundstone Curls:

Treadmill:
15 minutes

congrats on your push pull- a good showing to crush the next one.

Thanks

3/26/16

Bench:
135 x 10, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 245 x 1, 275 x 1, 320 x 3, 360 x 2, 380 x 1, 315 x 5

Dead Press:
225 x 1
245 x 1
275 x 1

Not bad for being totally sick, and having little sleep. I am totally congested and it hurts to cough. I was not able to sleep past 3:00 AM. Still I made it to the gym at 8:00 AM. I would have done more, but I was feeling a little light headed. I’m going to try to rest up today, and hit it tomorrow.

Hope your get well soon, it sucks picking up bug hitchhikers. Looks like you moved strong weight on that bench in spite of the junk.