Natty on Pennies

That’s a noble idea but I don’t have the resources (mainly time) to train 30 guys

After the day’s military training is done we have four hours of free time, the gym is open until 9PM so I have 3 hours to get my training session in BUT free food is served from 7 to 8 PM and it messes everything up. As I eat from 7:15PM to 7:45PM I can only train from 6PM to 7PM if I don’t want to train straight after eating. So I simply do not have enough time to coach anyone.

That’s pretty damn good

Almost nobody here does any training on their own so they just run, do pushups, sit ups and burpees when ordered so

Maybe that why their bench didn’t go so well

You’ll get there man, just grind on!

2 Likes

Woah

I felt like going to the gym for some light work today

So I downed my whey and drank a cup of coffee

Only thing I didn’t consider was just how well does a load of caffeine combine with pretty strong pain medication (yeah, I’m stupid sometimes - well most of the time. Don’t worry, I’m alright)

Luckily it had been like 15 hours since I took the pill so the effect wasn’t so intense but the combination did make me pretty hyperactive, and impulsive. That combined with the fact that I’ve been out of the gym for five days and well, lets just say I got pretty pumped up

So I went to the gym with my girlfriend and as I got there I noticed that I had left my belt and straps home but as I was hyped up I didn’t give it much though.

I went in and in like fifteen minutes I had tied a lifetime PR on the close grip bench and fifteen minutes after that I pulled a lifetime behind-the-back deadlift PR with no belt or straps I pulled 10 pounds more than I have ever pulled even with belt and straps.

So, what am I trying to say?

Well, don’t mix medication and caffeine is one thing - I’ve never used drugs bit I imagine that’s pretty much what it’s like. I do not want to hear that any of you went to the gym on meds and caffeine because you read about it here.

Another thing is that if you want to really progress get hyped up! If the movement is safe to perform you can hype yourself out of your mind with no fear of injury. (Use common sense when hyping up, you don’t want to fry yourself)

Another thing is that don’t get too upset if you forgot your wraps or belt, just train as well as you can in the given situation. If you have the drive it shouldn’t be an issue.

All in all, I’m really happy with today’s training session but I won’t be doing that again.

Be smart and train hard

2 Likes

@danteism man busting prs while in the army and not being able to eat how you want and shit, insane!

1 Like

Like Eric Bugenhagen once said (screamed) “IT’S A MINDSET!”

Yeah, things are starting to go really well

I’m wondering what I could do with dumbbell rows…

2 Likes

I’m starting to think that I have some level of ADHD, cause man, lately I haven’t been able to stick to any kind of programming

Okay, I be never really been a guy who sticks to a program for a long time (I think my record is like six weeks on the same program)

But when I say I can’t stick to a program I don’t mean that I’m program hopping and changing everything up all the time, not at all. I make subtle changes every couple of weeks and it just so happens that in a few months my program looks completely different from what it used to look like.

Why do I do that?

Well, first of all, it keeps me interested in training, I would die inside if I was forced to do a spesific program with all the same movements for the rest of my life (or even the rest of the year, really)

Secondly, it allows me to focus on different aspects of training while maintaining the others, so I’m not always trying to do everything at once. (Say, I may do decline pressing and rows for upper body for a couple of weeks and then change it to overhead pressing and pull-ups) this is very useful now that I’m in the army and have a lot of other stuff to worry about - trying to do a full-on hardcore powerbuilding routine would be counterproductive.

Thirdly, it allows me to see what exercises carry over to each other; for example, I hit a behind the back deadlift PR lately, and soon after that I switched over to doing Jefferson deadlifts. During the first session with Jeffersons I tied my old PR and I broke it in the second session.

Now I’m going to keep doing Jefferson deadlifts until I stall with them and then I’ll switch them to snatch-grip deadlifts, which I’ll do until I stall again.

After that I’ll go back to behind the back deadlift and see if I can beat my old record.

If I do beat my old record, I’ll assume that Jefferson deadlift and snatch grip deadlift carry over quite well and I’ll use them again in the future (maybe try doing snatch grip first and Jefferson second to see how that works), if not I’ll try, say front box squats and zercher deadlifts.

For some reason I always gravitate towards Bulgarian-ish training if I don’t make long term plans with my training, but at the moment I don’t really care. I’ve been lifting every day with the same movements (rotating when I stall) for some time now and I feel great!

I’ve even been using more volume per sessions than before and it hasn’t caught up to me yet - mainly because the extra volume comes from band and isolation work.

To give you an example of my current training, I’ll write down today’s session;

1. Weighted dips, working up to a 1RM in 10kg/22lbs jumps, afterwards one set with 20kg/44lbs added

2. Weighted chin-ups, working up to a 1RM in 10kg/22lbs jumps, afterwards one set with 20kg/44lbs added

3. Jefferson deadlift (I do it with both legs so I basically do two sets here), working up to a 1RM in 40kg/90 pound jumps, no backoff sets today

4. Beltless highbar squat, working up to a smooth set of 8 in 20kg/44lbs (just getting back to squatting)

5. Seated calf raise, 1 long set, semi-DC style

After all of those I did band work as follows: (for sets of 30-50 reps)

Leg curl
One arm low to high standing fly
One arm standing pullover
Pull-apart
Upright row
Tricep extension
Bicep curl

I do the band work so I can maintain mass in mythe areas of my body that I do not focus on at the moment and to keep my joints happy.

Overall, the session felt great. I broke records in Dips, Chinups and Jefferson deadlift and I got a great pump from the band work.

This type of training is far from optimal if size is what you’re after but at the moment I’m just trying to keep my strength levels where they are (or even improve a bit) and I’m trying to get my performance on the field up.

Overall, you should always train for what you need in your current situation - if you don’t need anything, train for what you want to achieve. And never forget that training should be enjoyable.

4 Likes

I’m down with fever again, brilliant.

I’m also experiencing a lot of throat pain/pain in the right-hand side of the back of my mouth. I can feel a lump in there with my fingers.

I do not know what this is but I know that I don’t like it.

I’ll try downing a lot of garlic, fruit and vegetables, hopefully that helps.

You think it’s the weather maybe?

1 Like

Sounds like tonsillitis to me. It can get pretty nasty, especially if your immune system corners the infection in the tonsil. It feels like there’s a rock in that tonsil.

1 Like

I don’t think so, it has been pretty warm now (say, +5℃), it hasn’t been raining or snowing lately

Could be as there were a couple of guys who ad it some time back

My fever has now dropped from 39.5℃ to around 37.4 so that’s a good thing, but the throat pain has spread so now it’s on both sides of my mouth and throat.

This is pretty painful

1 Like

Sounds like tonsillitis to me. When it’s that bad I usually need antibiotics. They work fast, often within a day things are a ton better.

2 Likes

Get well soon!

1 Like

If the pain hasn’t gone away before Monday I’ll go to the doc (as I can get it for free on Monday), in the meantime fruits, vegetables, garlic and a couple of supplements are what I’m going to rely on.

I took some of the supplements a couple of hours ago and went to sleep and the pain is already more bearable. (It could be placebo but it helps and that’s all I care about)

Thanks man!

1 Like

For temporary relief ibuprofen works but you have to take something like four tablets every two to three hours which isn’t exactly ideal. Also there are those anaesthetic sprays, which work well for an hour or two.

1 Like

I think I’ll just push through, the pain is not that bad anymore

I’ve actually never heard of these, they sound interesting but I guess I’ll survive

Thanks for the suggestions though

The fever is gone completely now and the throat pain is already so mild that it’s only a minor annoyance

Guess fruits, vegetables and garlic (especially garlic) really do work wonders for your health

I should probably bring some garlic with me when I go back to the barracks, I’m already known for my eating habits so I guess nobody would even bother questioning the reasons behind that

During my downtime I mainly slept and laid on the sofa watching Netflix, I was completely exhausted by the sickness.

There’s a great series called “Lilyhammer” on Netflix (sadly season 1 is not there but it doesn’t really matter) I really enjoyed watching it and I do recommend it if you have free time and don’t know what to do.

The series is about an ex-mafia guy from America who moves into Norway to start a new life as a nightclub owner, it’s a comedic show.

I also found a farm rather nearby that sells raw milk straight from the tank (before anything is done to it) for 1€ per litre

For context, organic whole milk (the next best thing) is 1,35€ per litre here

The problem with raw milk is that it doesn’t last too long so I’d have to drive over to the farm like every third day to get pre milk and that’s not really practical. (Not that I would start buying raw milk whilst I’m in the army but maybe later on)

I’ll be resting until tomorrow just to make sure I don’t get sick again

It’s really weird what you do when all you’ve got to do is to lay down and rest, I’ve actually been reading some stuff from Louie Simmons during these couple of days - I’m not contemplating becoming a powerlifter but as Louie does coach some of the world’s best powerlifters there has to be something that can be applicable for other sports as well (and there may be some things I’ve missed when I first read his stuff a while back that would be helpful for my own coaching career)

So, even if you are sick don’t just crawl up into a ball and do nothing for days. Use the opportunity to learn something new. Read, watch videos that teach you something, or even just think about stuff. Of course some time spent watching Lilyhammer… Netflix is fine, but don’t make that your job.

2 Likes

Alot different place but im like the only kid at school that eats anything lol. Im with ya on that boat. Good to see you feeling better man!

1 Like

I always had 1-1.5 pound of beef and chicken and nearly an pound of pasta (+ a pound of vegetables and two liters of green tea, hell, we even had our own an electric kettle and teabags in an locker in there just to boil some more green tea) with me during school days, good times.

1 Like

Good to hear you are feeling better. Didn’t think a little throat infection would keep the mighty Danteism out of action for long :wink:

1 Like

Thanks man!

Oh you know, I’m invincible!

I’m the one you should call when you feel the fever raising, when you feel the cold shivering up to you, when you know that tomorrow you won’t be able to breath through your nose!

If I’m close by you won’t be able to breath through your nose because I smell like garlic so badly

Jesus I need some sleep

3 Likes

Worked with a guy once who didn’t quite understand about garlic being helpful if you’re sick. He was eating a jar or two of chopped garlic a day, with a spoon. Being in a car with him was tough.

1 Like