Natty on Pennies

Ah, so that is the distinction he’s making? Interesting.

It’s the first “rule” in this one,

Cheers, I’ll see if I can find it!

I totally get that. These are just details that pique my interest because I know that there are a lot of evolutionary pressures on a “published” program/methodology. And so while there could conceivably be variants of DC (or any other method) that are “superior” with regards to results over a given timeframe those variants only are better when correctly applied by the trainee. Since a lot of people are idiots and always try to “get away” with more, it makes sense to build in a margin of error.

Yeah totally. If someone can do that, power to them, and I respect that DC doesn’t feel the need to say that it is a possibility because if he did then sure as shit that’s where most people would start. Give people a span, and they’ll always go to some extreme rather than start in the middle and try to titrate up/down depending on what we are talking about.

Indeed, this was mostly in reference to his own articulation of growth phases and I just put the numbers in to calculate the potential.

Here’s where I’d say it’s important to not be rigid, and this I guess defies any material being easily ingested.

I’m mostly raising these points in an abstract sense because it’s fun to discuss but since it’s so damn easy to use as an example let’s say we have a John Doe type person making good progress on the M-W-F split. Now, there’s a lot to be said for not fucking with something that works, but if John Doe were so inclined he could try four times per week. If progress continues to be as good as before when measured as a quotient of perceived “good” sessions and lifts keep progressing etc. then that should spark more growth in as much time.

John Doe could be his own coach, absent of DC, and when experiencing recovery issues well then that’s the ceiling to dial back from. Let’s say John Doe did continue to have good recover and goes to two-on/one-off and manages to do that for a year, maybe two, and then starts having recovery issues. Well, now the poundages are greater so that makes sense, then he back-tracks to four times weekly. Eventually, he’ll probably settle in to M-W-F, but that doesn’t mean that he has to lock himself in to that. Sure, if he did he runs the absolute minimal risk of burning out so it’s something that has to be weighed in and considered by the individual. Benefit/cost.

Are you following my train of thought?

1 Like