More Than One Main Lift a Session?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
By the way.
I hope you are feeling well. You had a bout at the hospital.

My Work on the Clean Holds and Front squat has been great! Thanks to your advice.
Got my Clean Hold up to 315
Front squat up to 235
Power Clean from Hang up to 205
Going to start doing some Cleans from the floor soon.
Sorry, I put the Overhead Squat aside for now-- many reasons. Will revisit as soon as i can.[/quote]

You should not focus on too many things at once. I always focused on solving one issue at a time, so dropping the OH squat for now is perfectly fine.

I’m doing well. Back to training full force for 2 weeks now, focusing on regaining my strength level. I’m back to 85-90% right now.[/quote]

yep. OH squat on the side for now. Thanks.
Glad to hear that you are back in action again. Maybe the 24 hour crossfit session did not agree with you.:slight_smile:

[quote]domcib wrote:
i tried this today:
push press
1 x 5 @ 82.5-85%
rest(bicep pump with db curls)
1 x 4 @ 85-87.5%
1 x 3 @ 87.5-90%
1 x 2 @ 90-92.5%
1 x 1 @ 92.5-95%

then the bench workout of:
ramp to 6rm (bicep pump with db curls in between ramp sets)
80% of 6rm for 30 reps- (sets of 3-5) (3 sets of bicep pump mixed in) Total 4 minutes

30 pullups, 30 dips each assisted in 4 sets each
i forgot the bear hug carries… duh. (i did not sleep much last nite)

overall it was a very stimulating session. got wicked pumped on whole upper body.
i was surprised since without sleep i dragged my ass up the stairs into the gym. The push press activation really got me going![/quote]

One thing I noticed is that it’s not unusual to get a greater pump the day after a night of bad/no sleep…

During chronic sleep deprivation it’s another story but when you sleep bad once it seems to enhance the pump for some reason.
[/quote]
no chronic here thatnk goodness. just a cold coming on, stuffy nose. making me snore real bad. then my wife kicks me and wakes me up. :slight_smile:
maybe her kicking me got me pumped. lol

Ct, for the activation exercises do you go straight into the 5,4,3,2,1 percentages or should we do a couple sets of warm ups? Also if I were to add another day would power cleans (for activation) and then push press as the main exercise be a good combo?

[quote]jy6537 wrote:
Ct, for the activation exercises do you go straight into the 5,4,3,2,1 percentages or should we do a couple sets of warm ups? Also if I were to add another day would power cleans (for activation) and then push press as the main exercise be a good combo?[/quote]

Do about 3-4 warm-ups… something like 60% x 3, 70% x 3, 80% x 3… this will allow you to adjust the starting weight if you feel strong or not.

"1) SGHP then doing the squat workout
2) Push press then doing the bench workout
3) SGHP again, or power clean then doing the deadlift workout "

What if the main Lift is Push Press?
Can the Activator be Bench Press?

[quote]domcib wrote:

Can the Activator be Bench Press?[/quote]

No, a bench press is not an activation lift. It needs to be more explosive than the main lift… so something like a split jerk or overhead medicine ball throw

[quote]domcib wrote:

No, a bench press is not an activation lift. It needs to be more explosive than the main lift… so something like a split jerk or overhead medicine ball throw[/quote]
Sounds like a plan.
I like this method. So far it’s been a lot of fun. I’m getting really stimulated with it.
It’s like “Bam, Bam, Bam!”! Then Boom, Boom, Boom.!!!

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

No, a bench press is not an activation lift. It needs to be more explosive than the main lift… so something like a split jerk or overhead medicine ball throw[/quote]
Sounds like a plan.
I like this method. So far it’s been a lot of fun. I’m getting really stimulated with it.
[/quote]

I agree. Just finished my first week with this and the activation lifts def stimulates my nervous system to get ready for my main lift.
I’m doing:
Push press, bench
Sghp, squat
Power clean, push press
Sghp, deadlift

My diet hasn’t been too great the past couple weeks but I’m starting to really grind down on it and I’m expecting some great strength and hypertrophy gains!

[quote]jy6537 wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

Sounds like a plan.
[/quote]

I agree. Just finished my first week with this and the activation lifts def stimulates my nervous system to get ready for my main lift.
I’m doing:
Push press, bench
Sghp, squat
Power clean, push press
Sghp, deadlift

My diet hasn’t been too great the past couple weeks but I’m starting to really grind down on it and I’m expecting some great strength and hypertrophy gains![/quote]

Would you say using the acitvation lift improved your performance on the main lift? Ive been wondering whether to swap out my regular activation stuff (jump squats and medicine ball throws) for these lifts

[quote]jy6537 wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

Sounds like a plan.
[/quote]

I’m doing:
Push press, bench
Sghp, squat
Power clean, push press
Sghp, deadlift

My diet hasn’t been too great the past couple weeks but I’m starting to really grind down on it and I’m expecting some great strength and hypertrophy gains![/quote]
i’m doin push press/bench
sghp/squats or front squats or dead squats
sghp/power cleans
havent tried it yet, but ill do split jerks/ push press

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]jy6537 wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

Sounds like a plan.
[/quote]

I’m doing:
Push press, bench
Sghp, squat
Power clean, push press
Sghp, deadlift

i’m doin push press/bench
sghp/squats or front squats or dead squats
sghp/power cleans
havent tried it yet, but ill do split jerks/ push press[/quote]

[quote]Trevshenko wrote:

[quote]jy6537 wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

Sounds like a plan.
[/quote]

I’m doing:
Push press, bench
Sghp, squat
Power clean, push press
Sghp, deadlift

Would you say using the acitvation lift improved your performance on the main lift? Ive been wondering whether to swap out my regular activation stuff (jump squats and medicine ball throws) for these lifts[/quote]
yes i would. i still do jump squats as part of my warmup

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]Trevshenko wrote:

[quote]jy6537 wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

Sounds like a plan.
[/quote]

I’m doing:
Push press, bench
Sghp, squat
Power clean, push press
Sghp, deadlift

Would you say using the acitvation lift improved your performance on the main lift? Ive been wondering whether to swap out my regular activation stuff (jump squats and medicine ball throws) for these lifts[/quote]
yes i would. i still do jump squats as part of my warmup
[/quote]

Thank you sir :slight_smile:

[quote]Trevshenko wrote:

[quote]jy6537 wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

Sounds like a plan.
[/quote]

I’m doing:
Push press, bench
Sghp, squat
Power clean, push press
Sghp, deadlift

Yes, definitely. It always takes me a while to get into the groove of my workout and I used to always have to do a ton of warm up sets to get ready for my main
lift. I guess my body is not that efficient in ramping up the nervous system yet but doing an explosive lift first definitely readies my body for the rest of the workout. I thought doing an exercise before my main work would hinder the performance of it but as long as you keep it explosive and not go for the fatigue you will definitely benefit from doing an explosive lift as an activator before ur main stuff.

@ jy6 and domcib - took your advice and did push press before bench press today. Was nothing short of awesome, felt so switched on by the time i got on to bench. Plus gives me a really good way to get some over-head work in to my programme now while im focussing on bringing up my lagging bench :slight_smile:

@ CT - Thank you for the continuation of your awesomeness