Mike Rowe & A Conservative Scholarship

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

Completely agree, but why would ANYONE be against a kid who wins a scholarship getting to pick what major they choose to study? What a bizarre stance to take. [/quote]

Who said this? It wasn’t me?[/quote]

“I think getting $10K for an Art History degree is beyond stupid.”

I think telling someone who wins a scholarship what they must major in is beyond stupid. [/quote]

How does me saying I think getting $10K for an Art History degree is beyond stupid = Me saying they should not be allowed to pick their major?

[/quote]

I read it as this:

I think getting 10K (receiving a scholarship) for an Art History degree is beyond stupid. As in why would anyone who got a scholarship (amount is trivial to be honest) be allowed to go into Art History. [/quote]

Well you read wrong.

[quote]H factor wrote:
but why would ANYONE be against a kid who wins a scholarship getting to pick what major they choose to study? What a bizarre stance to take. [/quote]

He didn’t take that stance.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

Completely agree, but why would ANYONE be against a kid who wins a scholarship getting to pick what major they choose to study? What a bizarre stance to take. [/quote]

I think telling someone who wins a scholarship what they must major in is beyond stupid. [/quote]

How does me saying I think getting $10K for an Art History degree is beyond stupid = Me saying they should not be allowed to pick their major?

[/quote]

I read it as this:

I think getting 10K (receiving a scholarship) for an Art History degree is beyond stupid. As in why would anyone who got a scholarship (amount is trivial to be honest) be allowed to go into Art History. [/quote]

Well you read wrong. [/quote]

My apologies then.

I don’t know what you make, but I’d be willing to bet you make considerably less than quite a few History majors.

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[/quote]

I read it as this:

I think getting 10K (receiving a scholarship) for an Art History degree is beyond stupid. As in why would anyone who got a scholarship (amount is trivial to be honest) be allowed to go into Art History.

[/quote]

So you completely added assumptive conjecture on to the end of his post, and then proceeded over several posts to argue with him, a point you completely fabricated…

Priceless dude, lol.

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[/quote]

I read it as this:

My apologies then.

I don’t know what you make, but I’d be willing to bet you make considerably less than quite a few History majors. [/quote]

I bet I make more than about 99% of them.

[quote]H factor wrote:

I don’t know what you make, but I’d be willing to bet you make considerably less than quite a few History majors. [/quote]

I do know what he majored in, and I would be willing to bet that people in his field are in considerably higher demand than any art history field.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[/quote]

I read it as this:

I think getting 10K (receiving a scholarship) for an Art History degree is beyond stupid. As in why would anyone who got a scholarship (amount is trivial to be honest) be allowed to go into Art History.

[/quote]

So you completely added assumptive conjecture on to the end of his post, and then proceeded over several posts to argue with him, a point you completely fabricated…

Priceless dude, lol. [/quote]

I read his post wrong and then realized a few people have really deep seated anger issues towards people with certain degrees and make incredible assumptions about those people.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Degrees_that_Pay_you_Back-sort.html

Accounting vs. Art History

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[/quote]

I read it as this:

My apologies then.

I bet I make more than about 99% of them. [/quote]

Perhaps, but doesn’t make my statement even remotely more true.

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[/quote]

I read it as this:

My apologies then.

He is taking about Art History, not History Majors.

You seem to want to argue for argues sake today.

[quote]H factor wrote:

I read his post wrong and then realized a few people have really deep seated anger issues towards people with certain degrees and make incredible assumptions about those people. [/quote]

Whatever dude, no one is angry.

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[/quote]

I read it as this:

My apologies then.

Perhaps, but doesn’t make my statement even remotely more true. [/quote]

You’re right it doesn’t make your statement even remotely more true.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Degrees_that_Pay_you_Back-sort.html

[/quote]

What does this tell us exactly? Why did you not go into chemical engineering? You would have made more money and have a much better chance of being employed.

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

What does this tell us exactly? Why did you not go into chemical engineering? You would have made more money and have a much better chance of being employed. [/quote]

It tells us Accountants (in general) make more than those with a degree in Art History (In general)…

Whatever, I’m going home, enjoy the last word…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[/quote]

I read it as this:

My apologies then.

Perhaps, but doesn’t make my statement even remotely more true. [/quote]

You’re right it doesn’t make your statement even remotely more true. [/quote]

Nice reading check on you.

You are more likely to make more than an Art Historian and more likely to be employed. America has Art Historians making more money than you. Clearly someone’s major doesn’t guarantee employment NOR a certain salary.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

What does this tell us exactly? Why did you not go into chemical engineering? You would have made more money and have a much better chance of being employed. [/quote]

It tells us Accountants (in general) make more than those with a degree in Art History (In general)…

Whatever, I’m going home, enjoy the last word…

[/quote]

I just don’t know why you’d waste your time in Accounting making less money in a field that has a higher rate of unemployment than chemical engineering?

[quote]H factor wrote:

I read his post wrong and then realized a few people have really deep seated anger issues towards people with certain degrees and make incredible assumptions about those people. [/quote]

You’re off the reservation here man.

No worries though. Conjecture is fun to argue. Just keep making up our positions and argue with yourself here.

[quote]H factor wrote:

No worries though. Conjecture is fun to argue. Just keep making up our positions and argue with yourself here.

[/quote]

For a bodybuilding board we should be really mad at people who major in nutrition and exercise science as well because those both have very high unemployment rates for people going into them.

I am angry though at unemployed accountants with high student loans who could have picked a major in higher demand. Ya know, I bet Starbucks even has a few!

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[/quote]

For a bodybuilding board we should be really mad at people who major in nutrition and exercise science as well because those both have very high unemployment rates for people going into them.

I am angry though at unemployed accountants with high student loans who could have picked a major in higher demand. Ya know, I bet Starbucks even has a few!
[/quote]

You have the unemployment rates for engineers and accountants? How about Art History majors?

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

You have the unemployment rates for engineers and accountants? How about Art History majors?
[/quote]

The website I went off of has Art history lumped in with other history majors.

Which according to this article is probably because so few people actually major in art history.

In fact this Bloomberg article is a very good read and essentially sums up how I feel. Markets are consistently changing. Economies are constantly changing at all times. Yesterday’s jobs don’t exist and today’s may not in ten years. We may see a boom in something “forgotten.” We will see new industries pop up. We have unemployed people in all sectors of society even if they majored in something that is in high demand. That happens for a variety of different reasons.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-06/postrel-how-art-history-majors-power-the-u-s-.html

Unemployment rates are probably far higher for people going into exercise science and nutrition based on anything I can see. Architecture has a fairly high unemployment rate as well…but someone will graduate college this year and be a highly successful architect! We don’t need an abundance and students need to change with the economic times and they always have and will. Students will shift to meet demands, they always have and always will. Some may get left out in the cold like the teachers of yesterday who now have a P.E. degree and massive competition because of cutbacks but they had a shortage when they went in. Those people need to adapt and find other work. People don’t use their primary degrees ALL the time. People change jobs ALL the time.

Bachelors degrees in psychology also seem to be one of the most overrated things right now from what I can see in terms of how many people are getting them…but would you really argue we don’t need anyone to study psychology?!