Mass Shooter Demographics USA

:laughing:

Jokes aside, when I was a kid in the 80s we had REALISTIC toy guns and cap guns. We chased each other around waving them in the air publicly. We had a proliferation of guns. Think of the best of the 80s action movies. Yet
 I don’t recall all the school shootings. What’s the difference? I think its social media and general media glorification to the nut jobs.

6 Likes

Guns have been around for a couple centuries now. I don’t think anyone really has any misconceptions on what they can be used for (talking about killing here). Marketing probably has little influence on the perception of what a gun is capable of.

5 Likes

Gun culture has changed dramatically in the US over the past 50 years. And not for the better IMO.

So, gang shootings in chicago that kill 4 people would be considered a mass shooting???

Is it gun culture, or is it a culture of having no respect for life in general
whether its the unborn, animals, the elderly, and etc

1 Like

Can you give an example of what you mean by this?

1 Like

Lots more psychotropic drug use doesn’t seem unrelated.

1 Like

What was it like 50 years ago, in your experience?

1 Like

Hunting was 99% of the non-handgun market and tacticool wasn’t a whole culture.

I find it strange that you bemoan this perceived trend of yours while also being an assault weapon owner. Shouldn’t other Americans have the same opportunity to own the same type of weapon you do?

I don’t find it strange that you have no real examples to back up the assertions you make about American gun culture.

Semi-automatic weapons of war have been widely available to Americans since they were invented. The Civilian Marksmanship Program was established in 1903 not for hunting, but to cultivate a gun culture that would make the population of the United States more capable in wartime. To this day any non-prohibited person can buy perfectly-functional WWII surplus semi-automatic rifles that were actual weapons of war.

If you find a .223 fired from an AR-15 to be an alarming display of firepower, you should see what a .30-06 fired out of a long-barreled Garand can do.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/

6 Likes

I’d bet that’s incorrect.

1 Like

I’ve never understood why they don’t just make using a gun to murder people illegal. It seems if they made that a law we wouldn’t need so many other laws with finer details.

One big law to keep us all safe.

3 Likes

I have previously proposed just such a law:

I agree. They should also sell nukes in supermarkets but make it illegal to use them. That should work.

Only guns have legal uses too, which entirely invalidates the comparison.

The idea presented was that laws are enough to prevent crime. My post utilized that line of reasoning to justify the sale of nukes. Although, after reading the post again, I’m not sure if he was serious.

Fair enough.

Fairly sure he’s was sarcastic. Hence I though you were taking the opposing view and that made me misread your post as a parallel to gun laws supporting that we shouldn’t even sell guns.

Damn, ya’ll better watch me then.

6 Likes

I think we know that laws that regulate how guns are used, don’t stop people from using them illegally. So I believe any laws which may keep nuts and morons from purchasing guns need to be balanced against making it possible for the rest of the population to buy guns. I think a happy medium is attainable. The thing is, you have places like New Jersey where they might as well ban guns it’s so difficult to get a license. Having lived there, it didn’t make me feel safer knowing how strict the laws were.

Inclusionary visions of progressive successes form the bedrock of social transformation. Re-imagining concepts of personal safety through an intersectional lens of vibrant gender expression provides a gateway for increasingly safe outcomes in dangerous situations.

2 Likes