Learning Calculus at Home?

[quote]NikH wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]NikH wrote:
You have to remember that in pure sciences the available jobs changed exponentially from masters level to phd level.

Masters in theoretical physics vs PhD in theoretical physics are two entirely different employment groups…[/quote]

I used to think so too, but the truth is…not really. I’m in a PhD program so I know both PhD and post-doc level theoretical physicists in the same situation as me with the same luck…sometimes worse…emphasis on THEORETICAL. Experimental physics is a whole different ball game, because they have marketable skills. [/quote]

Yes I know the employment isnt great for PhD in theoretical phycisist, but it’s alot better than for masters level. Masters in theoretical physics is this awkward stage when you are not good enough for related work, and nobody wants to hire you for anything else in my opinion.

Unless you study data analysis, too, and become a computer scientist or similar…[/quote]

I see what you’re saying. I all really depends on the company too. In reality, there is no difference between MS and PhD as far as relevant work experience outside of academia; however, some bigger more established places do get a hard on for that extra credential.

[quote]Anonymity wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]maverick88 wrote:
I have been at college for a while majoring in something where jobs my not be readily available. I have been looking into switching to a math major.[/quote]

No. Just no. Jobs are NOT readily available for math majors. Take it from someone with a double major in math/physics and master in theoretical physics who just spent 5 months applying to 150 jobs only to receive 2 interviews and one job offer =)

Computer engineering
Materials science
Electrical engineering
Chemical engineering

…think along those lines. Being really really insanely good at math is a useful skill, but you need marketable ones.

If your heart is set on math, go applied math or mathematical finance and make sure you know how to program in your sleep. [/quote]

I concur. If you want to do a shitload of math, Electrical & Computer Engineering is the way to go (usually considered one major).[/quote]

Yes, also Computer Science. I am a software engineer and can guarantee you will have little problem finding a job if you are a programmer.
[/quote]
I’ve noticed…

Hey OP,

Yes, it is very doable. I taught myself introductory calculus concepts and normal calculus when I was in year 9/10 in high school. I just purchased the textbooks and went at it.

In year 10 I took the exam with the final year cohort (year 12) and beat them.

Just do lots and lots of problems, repetition my friend. I for one feel that it is not a bad thing to start a problem, get to the point where you are stuck then look at the answer/solution.

If I had access to better internet, it would have made life easier. As stated before, there is a myriad of resources out there on youtube, etc.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Khans Academy is nice for outlining!

@OP - I also have some Calculus books online if your interested, never mind sharing them. I’m currently taking calculus myself and starting the Actuary exams before I start a mathematics / computer science degree next year.

I would highly recommend looking into the higher level theoretical math courses and try to deduce, if possible, if it’s something you’ll be able to handle.

From the taste I got from linear algebra and from what I have heard, the theoretical math you’ll see in higher level courses (numerical analysis, number theory, etc.) isn’t as tangible as calculus or differential equations.

I’m a Chemistry guy so I use applied math all the time, but the theoretical stuff really didn’t mesh with me.

And as for teaching yourself, completely doable, just get a decent text book and actually read the damn thing.

calculus isn’t REALLY math. It’s just, like the name says tools for calulations.

OP: Yes, it it entirely possible to learn calculus on your own. I would recommend that you get a good textbook. My personal favorite in English is Stewart. It is on the Seventh edition right now so you can go on to amazon and find a used sixth edition for pretty cheap. The only real difference between the two is that the first two chapters in the Sixth edition are combined into one in the seventh and several of the exercises are changed. I would also recommend getting your hands on a book that has an introduction to things like set theory, mathematical induction, number theory, recursion, and algorithm design. An introductory Discrete Mathematics textbook should cover all of these topics.

You should also get your hands on some supplementary materials like the For Dummies books to help you out at first. I would also recommend getting your hands on something like Mathematica, Maple, or Matlab. You will use these a lot in later classes.

You should also get a minor or even do a dual major in a related field like computer science or engineering just in case mathematics does not work out for you. I am going to be brutally honest you here: undergraduate degrees and master’s degrees in mathematics (and physics for that matter) are pretty useless for getting a job in the field. You can teach at up to the high school level with an undergrad degree, you can teach at a community college with a master’s degree and you can work as a junior researcher or lab assistant with a master’s, and most junior researcher position go to new PhD’s who need the experience to move on to the next level of their careers. If you get a PhD, you will have many, many more opportunities to get employment in the field provided you don’t have unrealistic expectations of getting a major research position or tenure track job right after defending your dissertation unless you went to a top school and performed extremely well all through your schooling.

That being said, with an undergrad degree in math, you will be qualified to eventually become certified as an engineer in most places, work as a computer programmer (this will be easier if you take some extra classes in programming) and finance.

[quote]setto222 wrote:
Use MIT open coursware for free lectures, notes, practice problems exams etc. [/quote]

This is good advice

I can’t believe no one suggested this combination. Just get Paul’s online note (already mentioned).Paul’s is great for the concepts. Then got to mathtutordvd.com The videos there run you through problem after problem after problem…
Steve

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:
OP: Yes, it it entirely possible to learn calculus on your own. I would recommend that you get a good textbook. My personal favorite in English is Stewart. It is on the Seventh edition right now so you can go on to amazon and find a used sixth edition for pretty cheap. The only real difference between the two is that the first two chapters in the Sixth edition are combined into one in the seventh and several of the exercises are changed. I would also recommend getting your hands on a book that has an introduction to things like set theory, mathematical induction, number theory, recursion, and algorithm design. An introductory Discrete Mathematics textbook should cover all of these topics.

You should also get your hands on some supplementary materials like the For Dummies books to help you out at first. I would also recommend getting your hands on something like Mathematica, Maple, or Matlab. You will use these a lot in later classes.

You should also get a minor or even do a dual major in a related field like computer science or engineering just in case mathematics does not work out for you. I am going to be brutally honest you here: undergraduate degrees and master’s degrees in mathematics (and physics for that matter) are pretty useless for getting a job in the field. You can teach at up to the high school level with an undergrad degree, you can teach at a community college with a master’s degree and you can work as a junior researcher or lab assistant with a master’s, and most junior researcher position go to new PhD’s who need the experience to move on to the next level of their careers. If you get a PhD, you will have many, many more opportunities to get employment in the field provided you don’t have unrealistic expectations of getting a major research position or tenure track job right after defending your dissertation unless you went to a top school and performed extremely well all through your schooling.

That being said, with an undergrad degree in math, you will be qualified to eventually become certified as an engineer in most places, work as a computer programmer (this will be easier if you take some extra classes in programming) and finance.[/quote]
the good Doctor is back

Would someone need to have a good grasp/understanding of algebra 2 and trig to learn Calculus or can you just jump in?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Would someone need to have a good grasp/understanding of algebra 2 and trig to learn Calculus or can you just jump in?[/quote]
Meh depends. I don’t think calculus is a starting point for anyone.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Would someone need to have a good grasp/understanding of algebra 2 and trig to learn Calculus or can you just jump in?[/quote]

Yes, you shouldn’t try to learn advanced concepts without a firm understanding of the basics and where things come from. Having those relationships (like trig) help you understand and learn concepts in Calculus more effectively. Check out YouTube channels and Khan Academy for useful videos

[Source: I’m an Physics & Applied Math/Stats major in my senior year.]

Awesome replies. Aside from DR.Matts recommendations are there any other good textbook?

DR.Matt is this the one you meant?

or

[quote]maverick88 wrote:
Awesome replies. Aside from DR.Matts recommendations are there any other good textbook?

or

Yes, that is it. You are going to want the second one that says “early transcendentals” in the title. It covers calc 1, 2, and 3 plus provides an introduction to differential equations. It is very well written and the examples are very clear so you should not have too much difficulty figuring out how to do the problems. Also, try your best to read and understand the proofs provided in the textbook. It is okay if you do not understand all or even most of them yet, you will learn much more about proofs and proof writing in a class called real analysis and higher level courses. You should just try to familiarize yourself with them early on.

The best thing about the Stewart books is that you will not need to go back and relearn stuff from algebra and geometry and trig textbooks, all that stuff is covered in the calculus textbook when you will need it again, including stuff like properties of logarithms/exponential functions, polynomial long division and the law of sines/law of cosines, and important trig identities (like the half angle and double angle identities) that almost everyone forgets from earlier courses.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

the good Doctor is back[/quote]

I really haven’t left, I am just busy getting ready to move next month so I haven’t had much time to post. Once I get settled in and everything I will be back to posting regularly.

Calculus? Ew!

I’ll trust the guy who has a tesseract as his avatar.

I did not ask the question but, after reading the OP, to get placed into pre-calculus or calculus would one not need to study algebra 2 or Pre-calculus?

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:

[quote]maverick88 wrote:

or

Yes, that is it. You are going to want the second one that says “early transcendentals” in the title. It covers calc 1, 2, and 3 plus provides an introduction to differential equations. It is very well written and the examples are very clear so you should not have too much difficulty figuring out how to do the problems. Also, try your best to read and understand the proofs provided in the textbook. It is okay if you do not understand all or even most of them yet, you will learn much more about proofs and proof writing in a class called real analysis and higher level courses. You should just try to familiarize yourself with them early on.

The best thing about the Stewart books is that you will not need to go back and relearn stuff from algebra and geometry and trig textbooks, all that stuff is covered in the calculus textbook when you will need it again, including stuff like properties of logarithms/exponential functions, polynomial long division and the law of sines/law of cosines, and important trig identities (like the half angle and double angle identities) that almost everyone forgets from earlier courses.
[/quote]

I think I might have the first edition of that book