L <3's Lifting

[quote]I gotta say I get tired just looking at your volume. [/quote] Don’t worry, me too, Kristoph. Haha! To be honest, the first night before I started, I couldn’t sleep because I was so excited/anxious! But man, you know you’ve worked hard at the end of the day. :slight_smile:

My pleasure! That sounds good; every so often I wish I had a training partner. As long as you fatigue at relatively the same rate, it should work out fine. Good to keep each other going, especially if one of you lacks the mental fortitude! When do you plan to start?

[quote] I would have loved to have seen his face if you had asked if he wanted to fight you in the parking lot later. grin
[/quote]

I do try to be nice. Really, I do. grin

Despite Sunday usually being a day off, I was feeling good (besides, I did take Wednesday off), so I trained with my bodybuilding friend. He was supposed to be giving me some nutritional advice, and I figured an extra workout wouldn’t kill me. :slight_smile: It was a back and bi day for him, so I just shadowed. Kind of nice to have a change of scenery (different gym) and someone to work out with. Anyway, his big diet advice seemed like a let-down! He outlined a plan very similar to what I’ve done before. Because I respect him and since it’s not much off from what I do now, I agreed to implement this new plan. It’s at least nice to have his support.

The one thing I did get out of our conversation was that I don’t eat enough protein! It hardly seems possible, given the amount of meat I eat and the protein shakes, but he did the calculations, and for someone eating low-carb, I don’t have enough. Sooooo… perhaps that was contributing to my metabolic woes and maybe it will be magic after all. :wink: We shall see. Don’t know if I already mentioned, but I have lost a couple pounds since I started the lactic acid training. I’m hoping for five more by the end of this training cycle.

The devil’s in the details they do say, so maybe the area between his plan and yours (i.e. more protein) will shift things in a positive direction. Though assuming he’s successful as a bodybuilder it’s cool that your plan wasn’t far off from the one he proposed. You five and six day a week workout people are crazy. :slight_smile:

My partner’s not at all excited about the volume training, but he’ll do it. And once begun he’ll dig in. He used to play football and is extremely competitive, so in the event of flagging enthusiasm he’s easy to needle into action. The trick is to not let him reverse goad me into hurting myself!

I gotta admit, I’m intrigued.
I’ve done EDT in the past and it was kinda cool…

Also, to answer from before…we live down in Southern MD on the Naval base :slight_smile: It’s about 30-40 min south of Waldorf?

[quote] You five and six day a week workout people are crazy. :)[/quote] We prefer “determined.” :wink:

Kris, he is a successful bodybuilder (he was Mr. Kenya at one point in time). I don’t trust a lot of people in the gym, but he’s second after my dad. :slight_smile:

A little healthy competition is good! But yeah, be careful. My guess is that if he’s not a regular lifter, you’ll outlast him.

MiM, sounds like you’re a little ways farther south than I am. I saw you were up in DC recently. I hope and pray things are going well for your family now.

I had to look up what EDT is. Sounds intense! I like it. :slight_smile: How’d it go? What did you think of it?

Yeah, low carb means even more protein than a moderate-high carb diet. Sucks. I’m just not a protein girl though, besides red meat.

Wow, I won’t even be able to cope with 4 days of training, I like 5 and 6.
I need the 7th day for refeed though, I’m not giving that up ;D

Your lactic acid training looks awesome, although I’d hate to count that high to rep 30s and everything

Hey Nikki :slight_smile: Yeah, I’m good at “eyeballing” my carbs since I’ve been doing it so long, but not as good on the protein, apparently. I miss my regular 5-day schedule plus free day, but it’s sort of evolved into 4 “training” days and 2 free days. I’m sooooo looking forward to my day off tomorrow. :slight_smile: Really, you wouldn’t even have to count reps if you weren’t trying to log, as long as the first set is at least 20. In fact, not counting could be better so you’re not focused on the numbers instead of the burn!

Monday

Dec push-ups 56 29 20 18 17 18
Lat pull down 70x31 70x19 70x14 70x13 70x12 70x13

DB lunges 20sx28 20x28 20x22 20x18 20x20 20x20 20x18
DB step-ups 15sx36 15x30 15x26 15x24 15x24 15x26

Lat raise 7.5x27 7.5x20 7.5x20
DB calf raise 30x50 30x33 30x30

Cable strait curl 30x33 30x22 30x20
Cable tri ext 60x33 60x22 60x20

Tuesday

DB floor press 30x35 30x25 30x18 30x17 30x16
Low row 60x30 60x21 60x16 60x15 60x15 60x15

Squat to OH press 20sx20 20x16 20x13 20x13 20x13 20x13 (I think I hit a mental wall here)
Back ext 10x27 10x17 10x15 10x15 10x17 10x18 (some jerk jumped in on my last two sets so I had a longer rest period)

Bradford press 20x43 20x32 20x32
DB calf raise 30x52 30x40 30x35

DB curls 12.5x40 12.5x22 12.5x20
DB tri ext 27.5x30 27.5x25 27.5x20

Got two new protein flavors today: mocha cappuccino and caramel toffee fudge. Yum!

Hey Lanels - Just stopping in. The reps on this lactic acid plan look brutal! Holy Cow! I’ve never tried anything close.

The protein flavors sound delicious. You must report back.

so is this how the infamous GVT looks?

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
The protein flavors sound delicious. You must report back.[/quote]

Deeeelightful! haha I love Optimum Nutrition. Plenty of variety, too, so I don’t get bored!

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
The protein flavors sound delicious. You must report back.[/quote]

Deeeelightful! haha I love Optimum Nutrition. Plenty of variety, too, so I don’t get bored!

Look at that sexy avi! Love the skirt, too!

(Oh, interwebs, messing up my posts. sigh)

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
so is this how the infamous GVT looks?

[/quote]

Actually, no! This is NOT GVT. There are a few differences. I’ve never done GVT, so I can’t say I’m super familiar with the intricacies, but here’s what I know differs:

No-Rest Lactic Acid Supersetting

• as little rest between sets as possible
  • no set # of reps, go until the lactic acid burn forces you to stop (As you can see, I usually do a lot more than 100 reps.)
  • 6 sets for chest/back, 3 sets for shoulders/calves, bis/tris (full body every day, although you could break it down to two body part pairs for a 4 day training schedule, and up the sets to 10 and 6)
  • use the same weight throughout sets, starting with a weight that you can get at least 20 reps on

There was a variation that ran on T-Nation a while back (also Poliquin and similar to GVT) called German Body Comp, but I like the one I do.

Tried to link to the article on the program I use, but that’s not allowed. :slight_smile:

Those protein powders sound delish. I finally ventured away from chocolate, got cookies and cream, then was sent a PDF on all these awesome recipes using choc protein powder, including one made with choc pp, raspberry and coffee. Argh, I’m always a day late and a dollar short :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, delish protein powders can definetely keep a person on their diet.

German Volume Training: The Return of German Volume Training

That protocol you linked looks similarly brutal, though I can say that his description of the proper weight for a given number of reps got me fired up. :slight_smile:

Edit: Thought about you and Nikki earlier today (volume queens that you are). I had to cut my workout a little short and will be going in later to do a few things I didn’t get to do. That’s sort of like 2x/daily training, which is sort of like working out almost every day no? :slight_smile:

^ You had me at “Thought about you and Nikki…”
Hiya :slight_smile:

I’m the Mom of volume :slight_smile:

I’ll have to give this some thought…I’ve read through that article and a lot of people were complaining that it wasn’t a ‘true,’ GVT program…

Is this the ‘original?’

L- maybe you can PM me the link?

I’m almost outta protein powder, will be investigating!

Haha! I LOVE that description he gives for volume! :slight_smile: Perhaps these programs are best for masochists…

So I take it this thinking was occurring at the gym? I often find myself thinking of me and Nikki as well… but not at the gym. :wink: Nik, if only I lived in FL, then we could share a pre-workout Frosty! :stuck_out_tongue: Although that recipe did sound good! The cookies n cream pp I have actually tastes like cake batter to me. I haven’t had an ON protein powder I didn’t like. Bout to get some casein, which I haven’t used before. Hopefully equally delicious.

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
[/quote]

I will be happy to let you have that title undisputed! As soon as this program is over, I’ll be decreasing the volume. At least that’s the plan for the moment… Need to put some thought into my next phase of training.

As for protein powder, at the rate I encourage ON, they should be paying me, but I guess I have to wait for that until my abs are visible… haha

I’ll send you a PM with the link. :slight_smile:

Not going to take the time now to enter this morning’s workout since I don’t have my notebook with me, but I felt sluggish to start off. Still got my reps in, so I won’t complain too much. I know I can’t sustain these workouts for much more than a month at a time, but it does inspire me to bump up the intensity of my “normal” training. That’s a good thing. :slight_smile:

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
[/quote]

Kristoph, maybe next time you should think about me, Nikki, and MiM! :slight_smile: