Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

I’ve found success just using a landmine, 25lb plates and a dip belt.

1 Like

Scrap wood, one bolt, and a ring.

12 Likes

Quick Lifting Session

Giant Set

DB BENCH
65 x 12 x 3
PULL UP
BW x 8 x 3
BELT SQUAT
90 x 15
115 x 15 x 2

DEADLIFT
185 x 5
275 x 5
295 x 5
335 x 5
375 x 5

Just feeling out the belt squats. I’m going to switch to full body a week early. I was supposed to deadlift today so I did the bare minimum. My back and knees feel awful after standing on blacktop all day yesterday. My SI joint is out of alignment to the point that my right hamstring is tight. Deadlifts did not fix that.

3 Likes

I present Exhibit A:

:grin:

How are you feeling today? I’m curious about the volume and mix of exercises.

1 Like

Delt soreness isn’t bad and feels good in the way that tells me I trained. I did those behind the neck and the front of my shoulders are feeling it. I don’t think I’ll do that again.

I just spent some time on our heated massage thingy and foam rolled my hips. I think I was able to get my SI joint to shift a tiny bit.

It’s funny how standing and doing nothing can wreak havoc on the body.

1 Like

It’s worse than walking, in my experience.

Some people here were raving about behind the neck presses a few months ago. I did a couple light sets at home one night and decided a resounding “nope” on them, at least for high volume or heavy weight.

1 Like

Nice build man

1 Like

That’s a nice story and you’re really an outlier there, but if you found something that works for you… Go for it! After all, running is plyometrics… I’d still do at least leg curls for general health purposes

That’s awesome! I wish you the best with this new job

1 Like

Your belt squat “machine” saved you about $1800 + shipping. That ingenuity should make your career change pretty easy.

2 Likes

I was doing regular BTN presses for my BBB work and it was fine. The 100 presses didn’t hurt but I’m sore in a new way.

Thanks!

I can’t take credit. YouTube helped. I can see potential for a T-bar row with a few adjustments.

I might have done RDLs but I can’t remember. I’ve always been paranoid about not doing enough posterior work including hamstrings.

Thanks! I’m not sure if it’ll happen this year but I’m trying. The good thing is that the hiring usually occurs this month but the work doesn’t start until August. That gives me plenty of time to notify my current employer. If I don’t find something then I’ll just keep my current job for another school year. I’m blessed to not be forced to find work.

Congratulations on making it out the other side buddy, not everyone does.

1 Like

I haven’t made it yet, but there’s definitely an out. There’s so much hate and negativity here. I’ve done my best to find the source of it, and I keep coming to the same conclusion - youth. All of the kids who are on the police radar are ignored by the parents from day one. If they get any attention, then it’s just yelling and insults. These are the kind of parents who get mad at their kids for shoplifting - not because they stole, but because they allowed themselves to get caught.

The only solution I can see is to prepare future generations to be productive adults. My 10 years in this job has exposed me to lifetimes of experience. I think I can pass along some good stuff to kids to help them learn the right things and make better choices. There are good kids, bad kids (lost causes), and kids who want to do well but don’t have the right support at home. That last group is the target audience. Some of them just need a little help to pull through and succeed.

7 Likes

That’s an inspiring attitude, really hope it works out for you.

1 Like

5.4.21 C6 W3 D1

(Week three weights but I’m trying the new full body template.)

Giant Set

OHP
95 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 5
130 x 5
PULL UPS
BW x 8 x 4 sets
LEG PRESS 406 lbs
Top half/ full reps/top half/full/top half/full

20/3/20/3/20/3 x 2
Full/half/full/half/full
5/10/5/10/5

DB BENCH
50 x 10
70 x 10 x 3
HANG POWER CLEAN
185 x 3 x 4 sets
Supposed to be 230 but 185 felt heavy so I just stuck with it. It was light by the third set. I’ve never super set cleans.

Cue the bad idea…

DT (5 Rounds, 135 lbs)

• 12 deadlifts
  • 9 hang clean
  • 6 push jerks
    14:01. Nausea hit after round three and my pace came to a screeching halt. I spent 17 minutes lying on the floor, sitting on the floor, sitting on a bench, and finally getting up.

CABLE CURLS
110 x 17, 5, 5, 4 (myo reps)

REV PRESS DOWN
130 x 22, 5, 5, 3 (myo reps)

Note to self: don’t do DT in the middle of a lifting session.

5 Likes

Join me!

1 Like

Better make the last log post a good one. It caps at 10k, right?

EDIT: I need to relearn what myo reps are. A CT thing, right?

1 Like

I learned myo reps from CT’s Best Damn Workout For Naturals. He wanted us to do two preparatory sets followed by a set to failure. The goal was to reach failure around 12 reps. After that, rest 20 sec, do 3 reps and repeat until you can’t do the 3 reps. If you do like six sets of 3 then the weight was too light or you sandbagged the set to failure.

I learned from @kdjohn that you can do repeat sets of 5, too. That’s probably better for isolation movements and that’s what I did yesterday.

And, yes, the log will be locked at 10k posts but it seems like a few extra posts always sneak in.

1 Like

I still have nightmares from DT… You beast!

Congrats on the 10k post I guess? New log, new job, new gainz incoming!

1 Like

Myo-reps are a type of rest-pause created by Borge Fagerli. The protocol is 1 initial set of anywhere from 9-25+ reps, followed by up to 5 mini sets of 3-5 reps. These mini sets should have no longer than 3-6 deep breaths between them. Once you fail to hit your designated rep target for each mini set, you stop the exercise. If you can get 5 sets of 5 on your mini sets, you either up the weight or increase the reps on your initial set.

Example:

10+4+4+3 <— Stop.

15+5+5+5+2 <— Stop.

20+3+3+3+3+3 <— Stop, as you did 5 mini sets.

The movements are done slowly and in a constant-tension style. The principle behind myo-reps is getting a buttload of “effective reps” done in a very short period of time.

6 Likes

Can’t beat some of that sweet myo-rep action.

Inspiring post re helping the kids @Frank_C my man. I’m certain you will kick serious arse at it mate

1 Like