Just Another Log

F*cking brutal

You’re insane Nutty :slight_smile:

1 Like

FRIDAY 1/25/19

ANOTHER GIANT SET :grinning:

BACK SQUAT / OH PRESS / BB ROW / DIPS / BACK EXT / HANGING LEG RAISES / SPRINT / 2 MIN REST

315x10 / 175x6 / 245x10 / x15 / x10 / x12 / 40 Yards

Getting to the gym at 4:45 in the AM might be my new thing :wink:

Now off for snowboarding the whole weekend!

5 Likes

MONDAY 1/28/19

You know what time it is.

POWER CLEAN / BACK SQUAT / OH PRESS / PULL-UPS / PUSH UPS / AB WHEEL / JUMP ROPE / 2 MIN REST

275x3 / 405x5 / 155x8 / x10 / x25 / x15 / x50 skips

8 Likes

Absolute madman.

1 Like

Good lord, man!

1 Like

LOL, that’s what literally 2 dudes MUCH bigger than me said to me this morning haha!

I’m really starting to like using these mega giant sets. I think I found a style of programming I can stick with for a long time. Thank you to @Alpha for inspiring me!

3 Likes

How are the DOMS after these workouts??

You know I really don’t get a crazy amount of DOMS now because I’ve been doing high volume, high intensity full body workouts for like the last 3 years.

But I will say after these specific giant set workouts I am SOAKED. I generally do feel an overall sense of systematic fatigue. What’s funny though is after the last 3 times I’ve done this my calves have felt a crazy amount of DOMS lol.

Nutty have you ever posted any photos of yourself? My apologies, that sounds kinda creepy haha, but I’m just curious what you look like. At your size with your strength, I’d imagine you have a pretty solid build.

1 Like

I think I have some photos of me when I started lifting lol. I haven’t taken a picture of me shirtless in years, so maybe I’ll have my wife take some later this week and I’ll post.

I have a very “solid” physique. I would say I’m very dense muscle wise. I wouldn’t say I look super jacked (cuz I’m not really big mass wise), but I definitely look like an athlete. My traps, shoulders, back, quads and glutes and triceps are what are pop out.

My wife thinks my body is similar to Oleksiy Torokhtiy’s (Oly Lifter - Warm Body Cold Mind). You can google him and see. I would probably agree I look more like that in terms of how my body is developed, but not nearly as jacked as this guy lol. According to my wife she really loves how my back and quads/glutes look and feel lol.

4 Likes

1/29/19 TUESDAY

60 Minutes of Swimming. Nothing crazy, but just some active recovery.

Hey Nutty new log name :slight_smile:
I love those mega giant sets.

How long time do you spend in the gym, incl warmup and warmup sets.

1 Like

Yup, I feel like I finally found a log name that I don’t have to change. It fits lol.

I spend 60-90 minutes in the gym.

10-15 Min Warm up
45-60 Min lifting including warm up sets.
10-15 Min cool down (equally as important to me).

For example if I do a workout like this:

BACK SQUAT / AB WHEEL
135x10
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
365x3
385x3
405 @ 5x5

I can get this whole thing done in 15-20 minutes. This is what keeps my conditioning up even with heavy weights. From 135-315 I don’t take any rest basically warming up.

1 Like

A few months ago I tried a giant set of:
Front squat/pull ups/trap bar deadlift/bench. It fucked me up in a pretty serious way that I haven’t come across in years.

Yeah that one sounds tough man! You are basically using your upper back in 3 straight movements and then have to bench with your back fatigued lol.

I would probably organize that one TBDL/Bench Press/Front Squat/Chin-Ups to get through it a “little” easier!

Bear in mind I am not very strong, so the fatigue in individual muscles wasn’t bad, it was more full body fatigue. Like it just sucked every last ounce of energy out of me for days.

1 Like

For sure man! The giant sets are tough, but your body will adapt over time. I’ve done heavy high frequency for a long time now so for my body it’s not as much as a change as it is for my lungs lol.

But that’s why with the way I’m doing it, 3 days of lifting a week seem to be the sweet spot for sure.

Have you ever looked through Alpha’s older logs? Alpha II and Alpha’s Work III I think we’re very giant set oriented. Really love this style of training and I’m glad to see others doing it. I did one the other day with Burpee Vert Jumps ramping in height, Deadlifts ramping in weight, Front Squats ramping, ab wheel and kB swings. It’s a solid way to keep in good shape and build a ton of strength especially for us who are busy as fuck.

1 Like

Oh yeah man, I’ve read through all of his old training logs! Today I actually started and ended my giant sets with conditioning to see how it affected me. I think it’s a great way to train if you are not competing for anything. I think it kills all the birds with one stone.

2 Likes