Just Another Log

Damn Mate awesome

Congrats.

Now it’s time to eat :slight_smile:
You could eat a couple of eggs before bedtime. Great protein to gain during night.

1 Like

BUILDING THE MONOLITH - WEEK 4 - DAY 3

DEADLIFT (ss: Curls, Hanging Leg Raises - 100)
385x5
405x5
425x5
405x5

BENCH PRESS (ss: DB Rows - 100)
235x5
235x5
235x5
235x5
235x5

CONDITION
15 Min KB Swings + Push Ups Circuit

Wednesday workouts I love because it’s much quicker to get through :slight_smile:

1 Like

@flipcollar I had a question for you man. I think you and me have similar eating preference so you might be best to answer this. How many carbs/proteins/fats/overall cals do you get in a typical day? I know you don’t calorie count, but just an approx guess.

I find myself getting anywhere from 100-175g protein in a day depending on the day. I probably hover around 100-130 on most days and it hasn’t affected my lifts at all. I keep my carbs high but I feel like anything above ~250g (carbs at 2-3 meals and 2-3 fruit) and I just start to feel full as fuck. I really can’t handle high protein or high fat so high carb is the only way I can gain strength/mass. But I know to really get my mass up I need to probably add another 100-150g of carbs to my daily intake. Do you ever get to a point that you are just full as hell? How do you force yourself to keep your carbs high?

I’m guessing to get use to eating more I just have to suck it up and eat and keep eating. I know you mentioned once you don’t naturally have a huge appetite and I’m the same way. So I’m just looking to see how you were able to pack on mass eating this way. Any advice would be appreciated man, thanks!

Not Flip at all :slight_smile:

How do you eat 3 big meals, or more?

Friend of mine when he was really gaining was eating every 3 hours, as far as i remember he even got up during night to have a meal. (but that’s a bit mental if you ask me).

I would try to get in at least 1 gram of protein per pound bodyweight, protein helps building mass and aids the recovery.

Well that was really not what you asked. How about eating a big bowl of oatmeal before going to bed, together with an egg (for that bit of extra protein)

1 Like

Thanks man. I’ve been trying the dinner after dinner and it’s been working well. Still so full tho lol

1 Like

Sounds good, It’s about finding something and making it a habit I think.

BUILDING THE MONOLITH - WEEK 4 - DAY 5

BACK SQUAT (ss: Band Pull Aparts, Ab Wheel - 100)
135x10
225x8
275x5
315x3
335x5
365x5
385x5
405x5
235x20

OH Press (ss: Weighted Chin-Ups - 5x5 +75)
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5
135x5

TRAP BAR SHRUGS
315 x 100 (4 sets)

This workout felt surprisingly “easy”. I think my body has adjusted to this amount of volume squeezed into 3 days.

5 Likes

It happens for sure. You suddenly become just “primed” for the program. You might actually experience a bit of a letdown getting back into more normal training after this. Took me a while to adjust, and then I ended up getting back into the Monolith habit.

2 Likes

Actually noticed this exact phenomenon today.
Your progress is amazing nutty. Very cool to observe.

1 Like

For sure man! I don’t think I could ever go back to even trying an upper/lower split. I think I get the most out of lifting 3x a week and doing some conditioning the other days. I feel like it’s the perfect balance for the average person wanting to get strong and in overall shape. Plus with my busy professional and personal life, 3x a week seems to be what I can consistently get into the gym.

I wonder what would happen if I ran BTM for a year with minor tweaks throughout the year. I love the idea of only a few lifts per session.

1 Like

Thanks man. A lot of consistency, hard work, and big dinners lol. Just showing up at the gym consistently has been the biggest factor I think.

BTM, 1000%, Five and Dime!

Different takes on pretty similar overall templates.

1 Like

The Five & Dime one looks pretty good. I’ve been looking at the FB templates again. I really like the one (i think it’s #8, 9 or 10) that you squat 5x5, 531, and then 5x10.

I want to start Front Squatting again once a week so that 1000% might work out well or just swapping out the middle day on the FB templates for a FS instead of BS.

1 Like

It’s so impossible for me to guess, partly because like you said I don’t count, and partly because I have more variation day-to-day than I would guess most people have.

I think my protein intake is probably similar. My carbs are much higher. I drink 4-6 sodas a day, and they are 70g of carbs, specifically sugar, each. So that’s 300+ carbs just in sodas. My best guess is that my carbs are more like 600-700g per day. Something along those lines. I drink a lot of whole milk, and that’s high in carbs.

yes I do get very full from time to time, but it’s rarely from carbs. Sugar is just so easy to eat, lol. That’s why, I keep the carbs high in the first place, because it’s the easiest macro to eat a lot of.

This is something I can give a better response to. I learned years ago that if I really push myself to be full and eat huge meals often, it DOES get easier. After a few weeks or so of really pushing hard to eat as much as you can, regularly, the food you used to think was a lot really doesn’t feel so bad anymore.

2 Likes

Yo that’s crazy man! You must have great genetics to not get fat off of that. Even though you bust your ass in the gym that’s a crazy amount of soda lol.

Thanks man, I’m starting to notice this slowly. Last week breakfast went down a bit easier today than past few days.

Thanks for the input man!

BUILDING THE MONOLITH - WEEK 5 - DAY 1

BACK SQUAT (ss: Band Pulls, Ab Wheel - 100)
355x5
355x5
355x5
355x5
355x5

OH PRESS (ss: Pullups - 5x10)
135x5
145x5
155x5
145x10

BB Row (ss: Dips - 100)
225x10
225x10
225x10
225x10
225x10
225x10

JUMP ROPE
250 skips

WORKOUT TIME: 52 minutes (fastest one yet!!!)

2 Likes

BUILDING THE MONOLITH - WEEK 5 - DAY 2

DEADLIFT (ss: Curls, Hanging Leg Raises - 100)
385x5
405x5
405x5
405x12 (Completely spaced forgot no PR sets, but hit a big rep PR! 405 feels like butter now to me. I’ve been using double overhand grip since the beginning of time, I wonder how much higher my DL would be with mixed grip, but I don’t care lol.)

BENCH PRESS (ss: DB Rows - 100)
235x6
235x6
235x6
235x6
235x6

CONDITION
Ran 1 Mile

NOTES: I sort of forgot I was doing BTM today and didn’t stick exactly to the plan. But close enough to where next week I should hit a BIG BIG PR!

Can’t believe I’m 5 weeks into a program. That longest I’ve stayed on one my whole life! Haha!

4 Likes

I’ve kind of been quiet in this thread for a bit. I’m amazed with the strength gains in here man. Makes me wonder what the heck I’ve been doing!

2 Likes

Thanks man! The secret is whiskey + steak burritos + unlocking your genetics haha!

1 Like

Since I’m a 8 days away from finishing BTM I’ve been thinking more about what I want to do next. After BTM I’ll take a 1 week deload where I’ll just do a bunch of random shit. Tire flips, keg throws, etc. This is to give my body a break from typical lifting and something refreshing. BTM has given me a substantial insight into my personality. I love keeping things simple. Pick a few things and do them fucking well.

I think after my deload I’m going to come back to BTM, but add my twist to it.

MONDAY - Squat / OH Press / BB Rows / Dips / RDL / Hanging Leg Raises
WEDNESDAY - Front Squat / Bench Press / Chin-Ups / Curls / Lunges
FRIDAY - Power Clean / Squat / OH Press / DB Rows / Ab Wheel
SATURDAY - Deadlift

I wouldn’t do a 1x20 on Friday squats lol. Well see how this run goes after I’m done. Who knows maybe I’ll even just decide to run BTM as leader/anchor template. But after BTM I don’t think I could ever go away from a FB style programming again. I did a random workout 2 weeks ago with a buddy who wanted me to come with him. It was his “chest and shoulders day” and damn it felt so easy compared to BTM lol.

3 Likes