I am Lost in Powerlifting

They were fucked up even when they were the ADFPA.

At one meet, in Netcong NJ, Head referee Joe Pyra stopped me as I was approaching a first attempt deadlift to ask if my socks were support hose. Mind you, they were inspected during the equipment check. He couldn’t wait until after the attempt?

They have always had a smarmy, holier than thou attitude.

You don’t have to get stronger while losing weight. If you do it right, meaning that you lose 5-8 pounds in a matter of 4 weeks while maintaining your strength, your relative strength will be higher.

You don’t have to get stronger all the, but you also don’t need to cut weight. And last I heard, strength is the ain objective of this sport. If he’s 235 and competing at 105kg (which is 231.5) then it’s very easy to lose a couple pounds in the day or two before the meet. Improving relative strength is only useful if you are going to move down a weight class, adding 5 or 10 wilks points isn’t going to do anything for you if your total and weight class are the same and the time you spend cutting could be used to build your total instead.

but the point of cutting down to 225 is to gain more muscle throughout a high volume program in the off season. After this is down and the muscle is gained then i should water cut to the 231 weight class

You should train regularly unless you are going to quit powerlifting. Compete if you want, just don’t cut more than necessary (like 225 in the 231 class). Recomping works too, contrary to what some people would have you believe. I asked Mike Israetel about this and he said that after a low volume peaking phase you get a sort of “detraining” effect which makes you more responsive to high volume training, similar to if you had taken time off altogether. Detraining is sort of a misnomer in this case because being peaked for competition is the complete opposite of detraining, but whatever. In my case, I did a meet and then after was a high volume phase for about two months. I kept food intake around the same as the peaking phase and in the end I was leaner and more muscular at approximately the same bodyweight. I gained maybe a pound, but that could be water weight as well. The problem in your case is that you don’t know what you are doing and your coach isn’t giving any guidance regarding nutrition, you really can’t separate nutrition from your training if you want good results and especially if you want to change your body composition.

Cutting 10lbs. during a peaking phase will result in a lot of muscle loss. You want to cut larger amounts of weight like that during a high volume phase. Volume will build muscle in a caloric surplus and it will maintain muscle in a caloric deficit. Low volume and low calories can only work if you are taking certain PEDs.

so you think i should eat at maintenance right now and then cut after the meet?

Or just slightly below so that you are at 105kg or maybe 1kg over in the days before the meet. If this meet means nothing then it doesn’t matter what weight class you are in anyway, you can compete underweight in the 120’s.

Read what I said above about recomping. It’s not the most efficient way to change body composition, but the main objective in this sport is getting stronger and it will have minimal impact on strength if any at all. If you are fat as hell then cut 2lbs. a week and the bulk SLOWLY - maybe .5lbs a week. You said you are around 16-18%, I think you probably underestimated that but if it’s true then you would be better off moving up to 120kg.

its probably under estimated i think i should be a 105kg. it does matter because i want to compete in 105. so i am going to eat around 50-100 calories below maintenance until the meet, Is that fine? then after im guessing you think i should just maintain and not cut down to 225 right?

my body weight as of this morning is 235, so i did 235x15 and i got 3525. i will find the macros for that but you think i should eat like 3,450 instead?

It depends how fat you are and how lean you can realistically stay. At 105kg, 15-20%bf is fine. Guys like Wierzbicki are the exception, few natural lifters (or at least able to pass a drug test because they aren’t juicing all-out) are able to stay that lean at such a high bodyweight. More muscle is good, but it’s not all about muscle either. Not all the good lifters are lean at 105kg, look at Bryce Lewis or Stephen Manuel. Those guys have set world records too. You don’t want to be a fat slob, but you don’t need to look like a bodybuilder either.

If you’re into tracking macros and calories then the first thing you need to do is figure out how much you have been eating already, assuming you have been maintaining weight for the last while. Then reduce that slightly. Any calculations for basal metabolic rate (like what you have there) are ballpark figures and might not work because not everyone’s BMR is the same based on weight and bf%.

I’ve been cutting weight and eating around 3,000-3,300 calories and losing about a pound a week.

I’ve been cutting weight and eating around 3,000-3,300 calories and losing about a pound a week. I’m guessing somewhere between 3,400-3,500 will be fine

someone posted earlier a video with mike, the video said that maintenance is best during peaking and cutting/bulking is best during a hypertrophy cycle. So based on that im going to eat maintenance till my meet and then cut after while running a high volume program. is this an ok plan?

also im eating 3,000 calories at the moment. I am going to start eating maintenance should i slowly increase my calories or just add the 500 calories in a day

More or less this.