High SHBG on TRT, Frequency?

Question, is this from a published study? If so, I’d love to have the reference for the source. If this indeed the case, it does make sense to me. SHBG is a protein that binds and protects T from liver metabolism. Unfortunately, it also binds and prevents it from crossing the blood-brain barrier, which is the main problem those of us with very high SHBG (e.g., 90-100 range).

Since SHBG protects T from liver metabolism, it would make sense that those with higher SHBG levels have higher TT at a given dose (or rate of production in naturals). However, that is why TT is a very misleading lab test in individuals with high SHBG. A much better indicator of health is free or bioavailable T. These tests are a better measure of functioning T within the body.

1 Like

I’m not sure I’ve seen it referenced in a study, but it’s in lots of blood work I’ve seen, and it does make sense as SHBG is storage along with transport. The more that SHBG kept T in serum the higher TT will be

Ppl keep saying our ancestors had higher TT than we do, and they’re probably right, but their diet would have meant higher SHBG too, like we see in Keto/Carnivore advocates. So the FT, I imagine, would be similar

1 Like