High Cholesterol, Need Help

[quote]Preacher Bond007 wrote:
I am a 26 year old 5’11 170lb male who lifts very frequently, runs 3xper week or plays soccer and wrestles still. I feel like i am in good shape with some improvements needed. I was told i needed to eat more in order to grow. In the past 3-4 months i have gained 5 lbs and still under 11% body fat. But after my yearly physical my cholesterol is 385… YAH 385… Part of it is hereditary but what are some good things to eat and drink all while keeping my Cholesterol low. Any help is appreciated…[/quote]

What is your ratio of LDL:HDL? Triglyceride levels? Total cholesterol is about as useful as BMI. High total cholesterol isn’t necessarily a risk factor. Cholesterol levels can vary substantially between individuals with no correlation to pathology. What exactly is the family history? We need a lot more details.

Increasing intake of omega 3’s and fiber can help. Supplements to improve insulin sensitivity and glucose disposal are good (cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, leucine, etc.) Also, I’m a big fan of guggulsterones at 1mg/kg BW. I had a friend who did a lot of research work on statins. Based upon his work, I would only recommend them as a last resort for those with extreme hypercholesterolemia (of course, I’m not trying to recoup R+D dollars for a pharmaceutical company.)

eat loads of fiber, it helps. pbx fiber has been shown to lower chol, also physillum husks.

One bit of other information. I did not fast the correct way and possibly skewd the score. Either way my dr has said it will be still some what hihg. I had an egg and egg white on an english muffin with milk and cheese at 730am the test was done at 1pm. [/quote]

Somewhat high and seriously high are drastically different things. The point is that you don’t have a clue what your cholesterol levels really are. Get the test done again after a proper fast, at least 8 hours overnight. Generally cholesterol tests are done first thing in the AM. You can adjust your eating habits to allow for that. One day isn’t going to hurt what ever physique goal you have.

[quote]Nancy Boy wrote:

I am a 26 year old 5’11 170lb male who lifts very frequently, runs 3xper week or plays soccer and wrestles still. I feel like i am in good shape with some improvements needed. I was told i needed to eat more in order to grow.

In the past 3-4 months i have gained 5 lbs and still under 11% body fat. But after my yearly physical my cholesterol is 385… YAH 385… Part of it is hereditary but what are some good things to eat and drink all while keeping my Cholesterol low. Any help is appreciated…[/quote]

What is your ratio of LDL:HDL? Triglyceride levels? Total cholesterol is about as useful as BMI. High total cholesterol isn’t necessarily a risk factor. Cholesterol levels can vary substantially between individuals with no correlation to pathology. What exactly is the family history? We need a lot more details.

Increasing intake of omega 3’s and fiber can help. Supplements to improve insulin sensitivity and glucose disposal are good (cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, leucine, etc.)

Also, I’m a big fan of guggulsterones at 1mg/kg BW. I had a friend who did a lot of research work on statins. Based upon his work, I would only recommend them as a last resort for those with extreme hypercholesterolemia (of course, I’m not trying to recoup R+D dollars for a pharmaceutical company.)
[/quote]

Totally agree with this. If your HDL is off the charts high, then you might be completely fine. If most of your LDL are the big fluffy kind, then you might be completely fine.

Also, cholesterol drugs have not been shown to reduce all-cause mortality. I’d recommend doing your research, because doctors aren’t all-knowing. I’d also suggest reading Dr. Michael Eades’s work or starting with this article from Men’s Health: