High Carb Bulking?

Dankid, in another thread didn’t you agree with someone who claimed “significant gains in muscle and strength” can be made while consuming a caloric deficit? Why don’t you try that approach…or does it only work for people other than you?

high carb bulking??

yes its awesome

[quote]Vanilla-Gorilla wrote:
Dankid, in another thread didn’t you agree with someone who claimed “significant gains in muscle and strength” can be made while consuming a caloric deficit? Why don’t you try that approach…or does it only work for people other than you?[/quote]

Yes I did, but you need to re-read what I wrote. I said for a person that is overweight with a high body fat (>20-25+%) They can (and often times should) aim for a loss in weight while gaining muscle. As for strength, for any “novice” trainee, there doesn’t need to be a caloric surplus to gain strength. Adaptations are going to be mainly neural anyways, and as long as they are taking in enough to prevent overtraining, they’ll likely gain strength.

As for me. Even with high carb “dirty” bulking, im struggling to put on weight. But at the same time it seems as if im getting more muscular and losing BF. But in order to get the scale to move up I may have to resort to even more calorie dense foods, and liquids.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Vanilla-Gorilla wrote:
Dankid, in another thread didn’t you agree with someone who claimed “significant gains in muscle and strength” can be made while consuming a caloric deficit? Why don’t you try that approach…or does it only work for people other than you?

Yes I did, but you need to re-read what I wrote. I said for a person that is overweight with a high body fat (>20-25+%) They can (and often times should) aim for a loss in weight while gaining muscle. As for strength, for any “novice” trainee, there doesn’t need to be a caloric surplus to gain strength. Adaptations are going to be mainly neural anyways, and as long as they are taking in enough to prevent overtraining, they’ll likely gain strength.

As for me. Even with high carb “dirty” bulking, im struggling to put on weight. But at the same time it seems as if im getting more muscular and losing BF. But in order to get the scale to move up I may have to resort to even more calorie dense foods, and liquids.[/quote]

Fair enough. And I agree with that for the most part if you reread my posts. Neural adaptations expecially in a new lifter will account for huge strength increases. How long strength can be gained by only improving upon neural efficiency would be interesting to read.

I did strongly disagree about another poster saying the gains in muscularity would be “significant.” I don’t think gains in muscle mass will be that great while on a sub-maintenance calories–can you call it a caloric deficit if the calories are coming from bodyfat stores? They’re simply calories that have been previously ingested. And I don’t know how efficient the body is at converting that to muscle mass.

I think we agree more than I originally realized.

And for the record, higher carb bulking has always served me well.

high carb for me

I’m very sensitive to carb intake… when I cutting down on them, I get really drained.

and hungry

First year of lifting like many I didn’t know shit and ate whatever I could and then got fed bullshit i believed was right for me (watching carbs like some skinny girl would or some shit). months after that I began learning more and more how important it is for me to keep my protein and carbs as high as possible.

I’ve been gaining at a lot quicker pace since then. Still got many years of truckin though…