Hardest Thing To Do in Sports

That’s an excellent example.

However, it terms of the hardest sport or hardest game “to make it,” I would have to say the PGA. Much respect to those guys on tour. Getting and keeping your PGA card is a monsta’ battle in and of itself, let alone winning. The level of competition is unreal, even before the advent of Supa-Woods.

The hardest thing to do in any sport or situation is that which you have not yet learned to do.

DEEP!!!

definetly hitting a baseball.

I’ll throw this in here to keep it going, but what does everyone here think about snatching double bodyweight? Or perhaps clean and jerking triple bodyweight? Or even clean and jerking 500lbs? I think only six or seven Americans have ever done the first, none have done the second, and only four have accomplished the third.

Quick point, don’t confuse slugging average with batting average. Good ball players can hit the ball closer to 5 or 6 times out of 10.

Without a doubt, Tennis. Try returning a 100 mph serve! Good luck!

And don’t forget that hitting a baseball doesn’t mean getting a hit in baseball. That’s more like 2.5-3 times per every 10 tries.

They’re all hard, people, and to work yourself up over it for some academic debate is nothing more than mental masturbation.

And remember, everytime you masturbate…

Doc T that is f-in FUNNY!

As for the hardest thing to do in sports…

HOLE IN ONE.

Many fewer holes in one recorded in a year than home runs.

hitting a baseball is pretty tough–but a 130 mph tennis serve, coming off uneven grass in a major, like Wimbledon, seems a hell of lot harder–throw in some spin and it seems they’re lucky to get a racquet in front of it–most of the men are serving around 115-135 these days–seems that might be harder than a 95 mph fastball coming straight at you

Returning a tennis serve isn’t harder than hitting a baseball for three reasons:

1. Your racket is big.
  2. You know you have to hit it.
  3. You can return effectively by barely even swinging.

You hit a baseball with a 33" long 2.625" diameter stick that only has about 2.5" of good wood on it. You have to judge whether the ball is in the strike zone or not, and you almost always have to make a full swing to be effective.

you guys want good reflexes, how about the professional ping pong players. Much harder then just swinging once a baseball bat. laters pk

It cracks me up when people keep saying that hitting a golf ball is harder than hitting a baseball!!! First, let me reiterate my point…hitting a baseball IS THE HARDEST THING TO DO IN ANY PROFESSIONAL SPORT. What other sport can you fail 7 out of 10 times and be considered great. Can you miss a golf shot 7 times and be considered good??? Hell no!!! Add to the fact that when you are standing in the batters box and Randy Johnson is standing on the mound and he can throw one of 3 pitches…a 100MPH fastball…a 90MPH slider or a 80MPH changeup…on any part of the plate (inside, outside, up, down)…you have no clue what is coming. Sure, you might have an idea, but you are NEVER 100% sure. Plus, to be able to consistently get a hit or better yet, hit a homerun with a surface area of no more than 2 inches…I’m sorry, there is nothing that can compare! YES, golf is hard…but the freakin ball is just sitting there. There is no guessing game…plus, you have ALL the time in the world to figure out what you are going to do. A hitter only has .4 of a second. I guess the key word should be CONSISTENCY! Yes, in high school, hitting a baseball was somewhat easy. All those guys that keep stating, “Oh well…hitting a baseball was a piece of cake, I had no problems at all,” are right in the sense that it was freakin high school!!! Not many high school pitchers throw over 80MPH and not many have more than 3 pitches and you can bet that not many of pinpoint control. You get to the professional level…and hitting a baseball is darn right hard. And to hit a baseball “consistently” for a base hit…when a hitter has so many things working against him…is amazing. A hitter has no clue where the ball is going to go…and if he can hit a round ball with a round bat “squarely” 3 out of 10 times…well, that is just amazing. Tennis…as someone else pointed out, you know you HAVE To swing at it…and the surface area on the racket is almost a foot! Golf…the ball is standing still, and you have all the time in the world to hit your shot. They just dont compare to hitting a baseball.

As Brider said, it’s all in how you define “hardest.” That said, I think wrestling in a tournament after having to drop serious weight to qualify is the hardest thing one does in sports on a consistent basis. Sure, in a match, one person always wins and one always loses, but does a 50% success record (or 50% failure record) really bear on how hard it is?

Or, perhaps, judging from the examples among retired heavyweight boxers, perhaps the hardest thing to do in sports is to get repeatedly hit in the head…

What about Squatting 1000 lbs. there have only been a handful of guys to do that. hehe.

Well, to hold in one thing might be up there with baseball, if you consider golf a sport. There’s still some argument as to whether or not Tiger Woods is really an athlete.

Well, I have a couple of points…

1. TonyG, you almost had it right but what you should have done is re-arranged the words in your statement…instead of saying “the hardes thing in sport is hitting a baseball”, you should have said “the hardest thing in BASEBALL is making it look like a Sport!” hahahahhahahaa. No offense, I just kinda thought of that one as a good way to get you guys angry.
  2. The soccer goalie - penalty shot thing that a guy mentioned above is a good one. The ratio of soccer ball size to net size versus the ratio of baseball size to strike zone favors the goalie as being the harder job than the batter. Plus, the velocity of the soccer ball is significant (probably close to or surpassing that of a baseball) and the kicker can curve up, down, diagonally et cetera. Plus, save percentage in penalty shots is a lot lower (probably in the 10% range).
    Just a couple of points, but most of all, respect is due to all professional athletes…obviously each sport is difficult otherwise we’d all be superstars.

I’m still considering the hardest thing in sport but here is my thoughts on golf and Tiger.
1 Golf is a sport, here is at least 1 definition “An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.” Golf meets that definition.

2 Tiger Woods IS an athlete, however, that is seperate from his golf game, he trains athletically like many people who consider themselves athletes yet do not compete. He could still play golf without the training he does but would need to change his swing immensely and IMHO would not be as good as he is presently.

This discussion is completely asinine. Everybody thinks their own sport is the hardest one. Nobody is right. To try to say that one single action is truly the hardest in all sports is just ludicrous. Any of the opinions people have on the subject are simply the result of being ignorant of the true nature and difficulty of the other sports. To believe that one thing is harder on a factual basis is not a defendable position.

I think the hardest thing to do in sports is making a comeback…not choking when it’s “go time.” You can Nail three pointers all day, you can smack balls out of the yard during batting practice, you can even spin a wicked serve before a tennis match, but how do you do when the heat is burning you down and you’re at a sphincter pucker factor of 10? You look at guys that have done it, guys like Doug Flutie, Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, John Elway, Joe Montana, Isiah Thomas, Michael Jordon. I know that you can’t call it an athletic skill, but dammit THAT is what wins the contest not the straight and long trajectory of a baseball or golfball…

Competing at any sport at the professional level is daunting. I am a very good golfer but couldn’t hang with a pro for an entire round. Truly these guys are at a different level. I just played a round of golf in the Islands with a pro football player. Guy was awesome. DOesn’t practice but just an amazing athlete. Pro’s really are on a different plane.