Hang vs Power Clean?

[quote]You got to go slow in the squat. The pros can do it fast BUT they are conditioned to doing it and have 1000’s of hrs of training experience.

Some fat is good for your joints and ligaments. It helps protect them. Just make sure you don’t have too much of a gut. In general having too much of a gut is no good.

Can you get to a club 1-2x a week? This would be the best method imo.

My mate does OLifts for his Judo. Learn using the “reverse chain method”. Take your time to learn the technique and the positions properly. Once you have done it you can start to add weight. The first few months are very important. Once you have some steady technique you can start to load on the weights.

You don’t need a programme.

A (Snatch) and B (Clean and Jerk) sessions. Alternate these

A/B Technique bar work
Pulls to mid thigh (If you used Snatch technique work, do Clean pulls to mid thigh, and vice versa)
Bent forward rows

Do this for 6-8 weeks. Then ask another question and I could give you something else.

Koing[/quote]

Koing… you mean, I should workout 2X a week and and center my workouts around the clean+jerk and snatch? Ok what do you mean by pulls to mid thigh? deadlifts? Any suggestions for exercises, besides clean pulls, for the snatch + jerk days? Any other exercises? I do hanging pikes,dragonflys, and lots of abdominal work. What kind of rep range should I use for the lifts? On average how many sets should I do?

I have been lifting for three years seriously, just a combination of training in bodybuilding + powerlifting, yet I have found them to be quite useless in terms of application in my interests e.g. gymnastics. Thanks once again.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Power Clean variations are easier to learn.

When you start training to come to a full squat in the blink of an eye you start to train for weightlifting as a sport and not just a means to get faster.[/quote]

People don’t have the ability to do the first pull properly or do a full squat?

I think this is the mentality of people who can’t be assed to learn the full lifts. The full lifts aren’t THAT hard to learn imo. If people want to be athletes etc and they can’t be able to take the time to learn it properly that is f0cked imo. It really doesn’t take that much time.

I think it is a big cop out people saying it is harder. Surely if your coached to do a PC then you can be coached to do a full Clean? What? Can’t squat properly? Too tight hamstrings? I’m sure you’d be more athletic was less tight hamstrings…

Koing

[quote]yus310 wrote:
You got to go slow in the squat. The pros can do it fast BUT they are conditioned to doing it and have 1000’s of hrs of training experience.

Some fat is good for your joints and ligaments. It helps protect them. Just make sure you don’t have too much of a gut. In general having too much of a gut is no good.

Can you get to a club 1-2x a week? This would be the best method imo.

My mate does OLifts for his Judo. Learn using the “reverse chain method”. Take your time to learn the technique and the positions properly. Once you have done it you can start to add weight. The first few months are very important. Once you have some steady technique you can start to load on the weights.

You don’t need a programme.

A (Snatch) and B (Clean and Jerk) sessions. Alternate these

A/B Technique bar work
Pulls to mid thigh (If you used Snatch technique work, do Clean pulls to mid thigh, and vice versa)
Bent forward rows

Do this for 6-8 weeks. Then ask another question and I could give you something else.

Koing

Koing… you mean, I should workout 2X a week and and center my workouts around the clean+jerk and snatch? Ok what do you mean by pulls to mid thigh? deadlifts? Any suggestions for exercises, besides clean pulls, for the snatch + jerk days? Any other exercises? I do hanging pikes,dragonflys, and lots of abdominal work. What kind of rep range should I use for the lifts? On average how many sets should I do?

I have been lifting for three years seriously, just a combination of training in bodybuilding + powerlifting, yet I have found them to be quite useless in terms of application in my interests e.g. gymnastics. Thanks once again. [/quote]

I mean how many sessions you can put for Olifts, just alternate them. You don’t need a specific day to do a work out. Just alternate them so you work them as best as you can.

Yes you should centre your lifts around the Snatch and C&J.

Pulls to mid thigh is the first pull in the Olifts. It is ‘like’ a deadlift BUT with YOUR SHOULDERS OVER THE BAR AT ALL TIMES. You stop about mid thigh position, this is the position you will start to do the 2nd pull. Th is helps builds practice for when you lift the weight off the floor.

The exercises are a fine set. How many minutes do you train in your session? I wrote down less exercise because you may not have time to do everything. Bent forward rows you should do to strengthen your back.

Once your technique is better you can do “Pulls” but they aren’t a beginner exercise and are usually done incorrectly if you can’t do the pulls to mid thigh.

Dragonflags are awesome. I use to do them a lot and still do occasionally :).

Do hyper extensions as this will make your back stronger and help you out.

3reps for Snatchs x 4-6sets
2reps for C&J x 4-6sets

BUT you are LEARNING technique so don’t do much in the way of the actual lifts yet.

Technique work

On you toes, Snatch/ Clean grip,
-bar on chest, drop in to a full Clean 3reps x 3sets
-bars on waist (arms bent 3reps x 3sets
-bar hanging so where your arms are straight 3reps x 3sets
-bent forward hang 3reps x 3sets : Feet flat on the floor

Work on pulls to mid thigh with your shoulders sticking out over the bar.

When your positions are good you can ultimise the power you have.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

When you start training to come to a full squat in the blink of an eye you start to train for weightlifting as a sport and not just a means to get faster.

I think this is the mentality of people who can’t be assed to learn the full lifts. The full lifts aren’t THAT hard to learn imo. If people want to be athletes etc and they can’t be able to take the time to learn it properly that is f0cked imo. It really doesn’t take that much time.

I think it is a big cop out people saying it is harder. Surely if your coached to do a PC then you can be coached to do a full Clean? What? Can’t squat properly? Too tight hamstrings? I’m sure you’d be more athletic was less tight hamstrings…

Koing[/quote]

Okay, pardon me if I’m wrong here, but the only difference between a power clean and a full clean is the catch position (partial squat vs full squat) right? And the point of catching in a full squat would be so that the bar doesn’t have to move as far and you can use heavier weight, right?

Therefore, if one is training for explosive power for sport, what is the benefit of changing the exercise so you can do more weight? I agree, it shouldn’t be that hard to teach a full clean if one can learn a power clean, but how does doing a full clean instead of a power clean help the athlete?

And if the athlete has hamstring flexibility issues or other problems with a full squat, those should probably be addressed separately. IMO, any athlete worth their salt should be able to do a proper full squat, and if they can’t, that should take priority over doing cleans (I know it is for me right now).

Yeah, Koing… Thanks. I’ll get back to you in a couple of months and update you on my progress (By then my knee will be fully healed). As of right now, I going to do a bodybuilding routine (solid nutrition) + along with cardio (I might throw in some derivatives of the O-lifts e.g. Power Cleans… but nothing big).

I will try to get back to 100% and then work on my technique. I’m extremely critical of myself, as I’m a really serious guy. But as I learned from wrestling + judo and now gymnastics, nothing beats having a coach to fine tune the mechanics of your technique.

Unforuntaley, I’m a full time student and my college doesn’t have a weightlifting club, just gymnastics.

Well, I need to drop weight over the summer, so around the fall or winter, I’ll ask more questions about the O-lifts + technique. Thanks once again

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
Koing wrote:
FightingScott wrote:

When you start training to come to a full squat in the blink of an eye you start to train for weightlifting as a sport and not just a means to get faster.

Koing

Okay, pardon me if I’m wrong here, but the only difference between a power clean and a full clean is the catch position (partial squat vs full squat) right? And the point of catching in a full squat would be so that the bar doesn’t have to move as far and you can use heavier weight, right?

Therefore, if one is training for explosive power for sport, what is the benefit of changing the exercise so you can do more weight? I agree, it shouldn’t be that hard to teach a full clean if one can learn a power clean, but how does doing a full clean instead of a power clean help the athlete?

And if the athlete has hamstring flexibility issues or other problems with a full squat, those should probably be addressed separately. IMO, any athlete worth their salt should be able to do a proper full squat, and if they can’t, that should take priority over doing cleans (I know it is for me right now).[/quote]

I think there is a great benefit for the person in doing a full. They get to learn to pull under the bar at PACE. People don’t attack the PC properly and the pull isn’t the same for most people. People that PC never do the pull properly and they have a funky WIDE stance to catch the bar = not good for your hips and adductors! They do this because they can’t get any lower in their PC due to mobility problems. It just isn’t the way I’d do it.

Yes you can lift more in a full Clean and this will translate to you lifting more in a PC also.

The benefit to lifting more weight is so you get more explosive. You can shift the lighter 80% loads faster.

The full Clean should be taught first imo. Doing it the other way is a long long path.

Yes they should be addressed but along with full Cleans it will help. Most people use it as an excuse to not doing them properly or taking the time to learning it.

Koing

[quote]yus310 wrote:
Yeah, Koing… Thanks. I’ll get back to you in a couple of months and update you on my progress (By then my knee will be fully healed). As of right now, I going to do a bodybuilding routine (solid nutrition) + along with cardio (I might throw in some derivatives of the O-lifts e.g. Power Cleans… but nothing big).

I will try to get back to 100% and then work on my technique. I’m extremely critical of myself, as I’m a really serious guy. But as I learned from wrestling + judo and now gymnastics, nothing beats having a coach to fine tune the mechanics of your technique.

Unforuntaley, I’m a full time student and my college doesn’t have a weightlifting club, just gymnastics.

Well, I need to drop weight over the summer, so around the fall or winter, I’ll ask more questions about the O-lifts + technique. Thanks once again

[/quote]

Why not do the technique/ bar work now and increase the weight? This would better serve you imo. PC will be hacked up unless your very careful and get lots of help with it and your form.

Koing

Full cleans as a huge priority. You benefit athletically from o-lifts by gaining an ability to absorb force of a falling load. This is the real reason o-lifters can produce so much force through vertical jump measures. Get under the bar. There is no comparison between pcleans and full cleans.

Remember you can only produce as much force as you can absorb. By the way they are not impossible to learn and well worth it.