Grains and Bodybuilding

[quote]metabolik99 wrote:
THe first thing I noticed was that I didn’t fart as much and definitely not as stinky. Then the next thing I noticed was body comp changes 2 weeks into it…[/quote]

Yes deff a huge effect I’ve noticed (the farting). I used to think it was all the meat I was eating, but I eat more meat now than ever before probably, and its once in a blue moon now.

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:
How do you get your carbs then if you cut out wheat and oatmeal? I didn’t realize oatmeal was in the wheat category. I cut the wheat I was getting from other foods for a few weeks except on cheat meals, but I’m still eating oatmeal in the morning for carbs. I still need 100 to 150 grams of carbs a day.[/quote]

it all can be very confusing. wheat contains gluten and Oats contain avenin. both gluten and avenin are a detriment to the human digestive system. they act in they same way, causing inflamation. However, I am speaking for all grains. All grains can be a detriment to human digestion, with wheat being the worst, Oats being bad, and rice being the easiest on digestion. Wheat, Oats, Barley, hops, Rye, even quinoa and rice…grains…they all, to varying degrees cause inflamation.

and then, depending on where I am on my training, I will eat 100-150g of carbs coming from fruit and veggies when I want to lose/maintain. When bulking, I eat extra carbs that come from tubers.
its not all too complex

You don’t need to get too crazy with carbs

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:
How do you get your carbs then if you cut out wheat and oatmeal? I didn’t realize oatmeal was in the wheat category. I cut the wheat I was getting from other foods for a few weeks except on cheat meals, but I’m still eating oatmeal in the morning for carbs. I still need 100 to 150 grams of carbs a day.[/quote]

it all can be very confusing. wheat contains gluten and Oats contain avenin. both gluten and avenin are a detriment to the human digestive system. they act in they same way, causing inflamation. However, I am speaking for all grains. All grains can be a detriment to human digestion, with wheat being the worst, Oats being bad, and rice being the easiest on digestion. Wheat, Oats, Barley, hops, Rye, even quinoa and rice…grains…they all, to varying degrees cause inflamation.

and then, depending on where I am on my training, I will eat 100-150g of carbs coming from fruit and veggies when I want to lose/maintain. When bulking, I eat extra carbs that come from tubers.
its not all too complex

You don’t need to get too crazy with carbs[/quote]

What your thoughts with all the fructose in the fruits? Or do you just limit it when trying to cut weight?

damn quinoa also?

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
damn quinoa also?[/quote]

I dont think Quinoa is a grain, actually…Pretty sure I read an article by Stugart the other day saying it was actually a seed.

“high protein seed”

And Poliquin, who is very much not for grains, apparently endorses it so…I would say it’s ok…

[quote]throws56 wrote:

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:

its not all too complex

What your thoughts with all the fructose in the fruits? Or do you just limit it when trying to cut weight?[/quote]

I don’t go crazy on the fruits when cutting, but I don’t try to minimize them either. I just go for quality. For instance, I can eat a ton of berries without causing major insulin spikes or even taking in a ton of calories. I get tons of vitamins and minerals without a ton of calories. Its when you eat melons, bananas, oranges, mangoes etc where you need to tread lightly. so I minimize those fruits. my fruit choices are usually apples, berries, kiwi, pears, apricots and coconut. These are recommended by many paleo (grain free enthusiasts) because of their nutritional value…you need those vitamins and minerals when dieting. Everyone can shred it up without sacrificing those valuable nutrients. by kepeing the fruits , I think you feel like you are not eliminating everythign, just grains…

[quote]throws56 wrote:

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:

its not all too complex

What your thoughts with all the fructose in the fruits? Or do you just limit it when trying to cut weight?[/quote]

I don’t go crazy on the fruits when cutting, but I don’t try to minimize them either. I just go for quality. For instance, I can eat a ton of berries without causing major insulin spikes or even taking in a ton of calories. I get tons of vitamins and minerals without a ton of calories. Its when you eat melons, bananas, oranges, mangoes etc where you need to tread lightly. so I minimize those fruits. my fruit choices are usually apples, berries, kiwi, pears, apricots and coconut. These are recommended by many paleo (grain free enthusiasts) because of their nutritional value…you need those vitamins and minerals when dieting. Everyone can shred it up without sacrificing those valuable nutrients. by kepeing the fruits , I think you feel like you are not eliminating everythign, just grains…[/quote]

Yes, I like berries, not just because there tasty, but low in fructus, sugars, and glycemic index/load. Also some pretty damn powerful antioxidants!

[quote]throws56 wrote:

“high protein seed”[/quote]
There is definitely some debate out there on the subject. it is interesting because there is nothing like Quinoa on the planet, it is very unique. It is biologically a grain. However, its construction is more like a seed and that is why there two philosophies developed.

It has been shown that its inflammation effects on the digestive system are minimal, just like rice.

[quote]throws56 wrote:

There is definitely some debate out there on the subject. it is interesting because there is nothing like Quinoa on the planet, it is very unique. It botanically is a grain. However its plant construction is more like a seed and that is why there two philosophies developed.

It has been shown that its inflammation effects on the digestive system are minimal, just like rice.[/quote]

Yea, IDK if you red the article, but they were saying Robb Wolf, a “big-wig” in the paleo world, was against them. It’s interesting b/c a lot of paleo guys are against potatoes, where as Robb isn’t.

I think Ill try some quinoa though to test it out. I was looking at it and nutritionally it seems pretty ood for me b/c why supplying decent carb levels, it also is very pleasant in term of the glycemic index.

[quote]throws56 wrote:

[quote]throws56 wrote:

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:

its not all too complex

I don’t go crazy on the fruits when cutting, but I don’t try to minimize them either. I just go for quality. For instance, I can eat a ton of berries without causing major insulin spikes or even taking in a ton of calories. I get tons of vitamins and minerals without a ton of calories. Its when you eat melons, bananas, oranges, mangoes etc where you need to tread lightly. so I minimize those fruits. my fruit choices are usually apples, berries, kiwi, pears, apricots and coconut. These are recommended by many paleo (grain free enthusiasts) because of their nutritional value…you need those vitamins and minerals when dieting. Everyone can shred it up without sacrificing those valuable nutrients. by kepeing the fruits , I think you feel like you are not eliminating everythign, just grains…[/quote]

Yes, I like berries, not just because there tasty, but low in fructus, sugars, and glycemic index/load. Also some pretty damn powerful antioxidants![/quote]

you hit it on the nail bro

[quote]throws56 wrote:

[quote]throws56 wrote:

There is definitely some debate out there on the subject. it is interesting because there is nothing like Quinoa on the planet, it is very unique. It botanically is a grain. However its plant construction is more like a seed and that is why there two philosophies developed.

It has been shown that its inflammation effects on the digestive system are minimal, just like rice.[/quote]

Yea, IDK if you red the article, but they were saying Robb Wolf, a “big-wig” in the paleo world, was against them. It’s interesting b/c a lot of paleo guys are against potatoes, where as Robb isn’t.

I think Ill try some quinoa though to test it out. I was looking at it and nutritionally it seems pretty ood for me b/c why supplying decent carb levels, it also is very pleasant in term of the glycemic index.
[/quote]

The main thing is getting quality and not quantity. I look at a grains effect on the body, in terms of inflammation. the effects of Quinoa and white rice have been shown to be minimal. I endorse them for moderation but not as a cornerstone of any diet…if that makes sense. I know that Rob Wolff does not endorse them, an dI think its because he is a biologist and understands the botanical makeup of Quinoa. ITs hard to resist. Staying away from Wheats and Oats is paramount though…I also belive in the 80/20 principal so that we don’t emplode when we are in a predicament where 100%grain free options are not available

whats the 80/20 principal? also have you ever read articles on potatoes possibly being grains or why some paleo guys dont approve of them? i think a starch carb will give you better results pwo than fruits.

whats the 80/20 principal? also have you ever read articles on potatoes possibly being grains or why some paleo guys dont approve of them? i think a starch carb will give you better results pwo than fruits.[/quote]

I combo I have used is berries in my protein shake, and then some sweet potato with cinnamon sprinkled on it. Yum, damn near perfect PWO nutrition.

whats the 80/20 principal? also have you ever read articles on potatoes possibly being grains or why some paleo guys dont approve of them? i think a starch carb will give you better results pwo than fruits.[/quote]

The 80/20 principal is a philosophy that gives a person some leeway. You stay true to the grain free guidelines for 80% of your food intake and allow yourself 20% to stray a bit. However, its not a license to go hog wild…its just wiggle room in a tight situation. Personally, I have weeks where I go without grains, but occasionally I find myself in these strange situations where I must either go hungry or eat grains…but because I follow a grain free lifestyle, this doesn’t effect me much.

As for the potatoes question: Potatoes are definitely not a grain but they are a starch, just like grains. I think many paleos don’t approve because of their effect on isulin levels. But my take (and its a shared among other paleos) is that Grains and Oats are basically poison, Potatoes are not, and ultimately we should focus on staying away from whats poisonous. We shouldn’t split hairs on carbs.

Try sweet potatoes before and after training. perfect.

I’m thinking of perhaps substituting my oats for some quinoa and 3-4 eggs. I need carbs in the morning. I’m incredibly carb sensitive. It affects my energy a lot when I cut too many carbs. Unless there is something else out there I can eat in the morning with 30-50 grams of carbs and only around 200 calories.

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:
I’m thinking of perhaps substituting my oats for some quinoa and 3-4 eggs. I need carbs in the morning. I’m incredibly carb sensitive. It affects my energy a lot when I cut too many carbs. Unless there is something else out there I can eat in the morning with 30-50 grams of carbs and only around 200 calories.[/quote]

Sweet potato, 2 reg. sized potatoes, etc.

[quote]throws56 wrote:

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:
I’m thinking of perhaps substituting my oats for some quinoa and 3-4 eggs. I need carbs in the morning. I’m incredibly carb sensitive. It affects my energy a lot when I cut too many carbs. Unless there is something else out there I can eat in the morning with 30-50 grams of carbs and only around 200 calories.[/quote]

[/quote]
I already have them for lunch so if I removed them I’d have to change my lunch. Not sure about eating them twice a day either.

You guys microwave your potatoes in the morning?

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:

[quote]throws56 wrote:

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:

[/quote]
I already have them for lunch so if I removed them I’d have to change my lunch. Not sure about eating them twice a day either.

You guys microwave your potatoes in the morning?[/quote]

No, I focus on my blood sugar, regardless of trying to put weight/loss fat, so i steam them, which yields the lowest glycemic index/load. They also taste pretty good that way, and take about 10 minutes to make, compared to an hour for baking (also yields the highest glycemic response).

Besides, being party Irish, it just doesn’t seem right, haha.