Get Rich (Not So Quick) Advice Needed

[quote]Sturat wrote:
So I’ve decided it’s time to get a job that pays more money, significantly more money and I actually have my final interview for one in about an hour. Regardless of whether I get this particular job in the next 6 months I intend to have something significantly more lucrative than the $45k a year that I’m currently making.

Here’s the thing. With my new income I want to use it to start making more money but I don’t know a damn thing about doing so and neither does anyone in my immediate family (my cousin Brian does but he’s way way way beyond the financial level I’ll be moving into so not really a lot of help).

What sorts of things should I do? …[/quote]

Basics from my POV.

Look at your debt. Find your highest-interest debt, focus on that, pay it down first. If you’re carrying multiple lines of debt and can consolidate to a better rate, do. You’re paying minimums (or slightly over) on all other accounts.

Build a cash cushion. Advice these days is to have 3-6 months of ready reserves (cash, savings account, short-term money market) that you can tap into should you need to (job loss, medical emergency, house burns down, lawsuit). My experience with the US economy over the past decade is that it’s spotty, and having reserves beats getting into debt. I’d focus on both this and paying down the most expensive debt first. Keep your cushion in cash or short-term CDs (certificates of deposit). Interest rates right now are crap, but c’est la vie.

Draw up a budget, figure out what your income and expenses are. You can do this with a spreadsheet, pen and paper, financial software, or online sites. But do it. Revisit, revise, and adjust annually. Compare your actual expenses and savings/overages to the budget. Figure out where you can cut back. It can be easier to save money than earn it, sometimes. Look ruthlessly at any recurring costs (services, subscriptions, memberships, etc.), and reduce any that aren’t worthwhile to you. Get a cheaper cable, Internet, phone plan, etc. Buy a used car with good mileage.

Get rid of the stuff you don’t need. It’s costing you money (space, storage, maintenance, moving costs, other things you could have). Sell it or donate it.

Maximize your retirement plan contributions. Find out what your employer’s match is, and what additional programs you can donate to.

Draw out a spreadsheet that estimates your income, expenses, savings, and investment returns until retirement. You’ll probably need a couple of million by then, if not more.

On investing: A Random Walk Down Wall Street is still one of the better investment books. It’s a bit dated, but the principles hold pretty well. It’ll give you the basic theory.

Then buy one of the recent books about Wall Street. Mark Lewis’s Liar’s Poker is a good one. Realize that the game there is highly rigged against the small investor. If you’re even thinking about real estate, read all you can about the housing bubble. I’m a fan of http://www.patrick.net/ which aggregates news feeds. It’s mostly about the US market, though it covers Canada, Australia, the UK, China, and elsewhere as well. The Canadian market’s looking very bubbly.

As far as investing, understand your basic choices: cash, government bonds, corporate bonds, stocks, metals. My general recommendation is to go with a broadly diversified index fund (I generally do a 500 or 1000 stock index), with increasing holdings (rule of thumb: your age as percent holdings in bonds) in high-quality commercial and government debt as you get older. You can play the market, but your transaction costs (even with trading sites) are still high, and the pros have all kinds of edge over you.

Patience and a regular contribution to an investment fund can work well. Understand that when you invest has a lot to do with it though. Great graphic from the NY Times: In Investing, It’s When You Start and When You Finish - Graphic - NYTimes.com

(Basically: if you started investing in the 1950 or 1980 you did well. 1969 or 1999, not so much. Even with a lifetime of investing, a bad start is a big handicap.

As much as you can play the financial games, not fucking up helps a lot. Don’t get really sick, don’t get divorced, don’t get hurt, don’t get sued. The fact that you’re on a fitness site and care about your body and health is a good thing.

Investing in your own company/business can work out really well for some people, but understand what you’re doing going into it. Realize that there are a lot of people ready and willing to screw you over. Keep your eyes open.

lol @ selling insurance. Those fuckers are on my campus all the time trying to recruit the next batch of suckers. They’re worse than jehova’s witnesses. No offense to HoustonGuy, you sound like you’re on top of your game, but unless the OP is Johnny McPersonality with incredible networking skills, he’s going to end up failing like 99% of insurance agents.

I agree with AngryChicken’s analysis, but I prefer CountingBeans advice. Call me a pussy but there’s a lot to be said for a comfortable lifestyle with job security. There’s no magical plan dude, otherwise everybody would be a millionaire.

[quote]Sturat wrote:
Thanks HG.

The only issue here is that I have absolutely no idea who to talk to or how to find them. lol.[/quote]

Find a professional networking group to attend. An entreprenuership group would be even better. Become a member and network. Pick some brains. There will be people attending from multiple industries and career levels.

It would be a great way to learn the info. you seek and make some strong local connections. I have no idea what groups exist in Canada, but they don’t hide. Google can help, and word of mouth.

And buy a subscription to Success Magazine. Do it!

[quote]overstand wrote:
lol @ selling insurance. Those fuckers are on my campus all the time trying to recruit the next batch of suckers. They’re worse than jehova’s witnesses. No offense to HoustonGuy, you sound like you’re on top of your game, but unless the OP is Johnny McPersonality with incredible networking skills, he’s going to end up failing like 99% of insurance agents.

I agree with AngryChicken’s analysis, but I prefer CountingBeans advice. Call me a pussy but there’s a lot to be said for a comfortable lifestyle with job security. There’s no magical plan dude, otherwise everybody would be a millionaire. [/quote]

Most people do fail you are right but they fail at sales in general. But he says he can sell, which requires personality and networking skills regardless of industry.

If he really is an ace in the hole salesmen, he is wasting his talent on a job paying a $45k annual salary.

Insurance, Financial Services, Real Estate… anything providing residual comission streams would reward him better than being underemployed. Hell selling cable subscriptions door to door would be better in the long run. He is already selling. May as well at least research avenues that would better reward him for his talents and work.

It’s unfortunate the losers shape a view of an industry. I guess the rusty wheel squeaks loudest.

I sell to insurance/financial agents, they sell my products for me to their clients. Almost all my clients who have failed either don’t work or refuse to sell products the way they are trained to. Then they play the blame game. It’s never their fault, it’s the insurance industries fault they didn’t work consistently or follow training and advice from successful people before them. It’s my fault my annuties didn’t suggest themselves to a retired couple that month the agent decided not to return phone calls, yada yada…

I’m not telling sturat to jump ship to insurance or financial services, only to research it. I have nothing to gain of his career decision one way or another. It is a lucrative industry if you work it right. And, understanding he has no knowledge of making money and came to ask for advice, getting started is as easy as getting licensed (a small test) and going through various company training programs to be authorized to represent them.

Anyways, it’s not my intent to be an insurance apologist, I just know the money that can be made and how easily it comes.

/rant.

I still say to research various industries, don’t invest shit until you understand what you are investing in, join a networking group to learn general information over a wide variety of careers and buy a subscription to Success Magazine! Read, internalize and act on it’s knowledge.

He already has a better sales job. Therefore he will soon have more income and the question is how to handle or invest the additional cash flow.

This leads to a good point: being successful takes time. If you are going to spend your time selling, then you are not going to have the time to research equities, manage real estate, or do any other active investing. Look for the most bang for your buck and time.