Fireman's Powerlifting Log

I’m definitely in for this.

CS

Thanks for the interest CS. I’ve been following your logs as well.

3/6

Deads

Conv. Deads
345 10x3

Speed Pulls w/ Avg. Band
225 10x1, hold the lockout

Dimel Deads
135 4x10

Hanging Leg Raises
4x20

Superset w/

Hypers
4x15

30 minutes of cardio

I cut the reps down on this week of deadlifts. The gameplan was just to do an accessory day, hitting the main lift every other week. However, with the reduced volume, I’d figure I’d go ahead and try again this week as well. Completed all sets of 3. Didn’t kick my ass as bad as last weeks. I’ll keep progressing with the 3’s as opposed to the 5’s and see where it gets me in a few weeks. Still have about 2 months before I start working on a peak cycle. Would really like to break 500.

3/7

30 Min Cardio

Tire Flipping
3x10 flips

Side Bends
50’s 4x15

Cable Straight Bar Curls
4x20

Took me about 2 hours to do all this at work. I was interrupted a few times for calls. I did do the 30 minutes of cardio without having to stop, so that was good.

3/8

Bench Accessory

Pin Press, Chest
225 10x5

BW Dips
5x10

Pull Ups, BW+15lbs
10x5

Hammer Curls
4x20

This workout was tough. Didn’t look like I did much, but before this I played basketball for 2 hours with some guys from work. First time I had played in 5 years. Me entire body was sore. I used to be pretty good, apparently my skills have regressed… In all, I did everything I wanted to do today. Got to use my new dip bar from Rogue. I like it!

3/10

Squat

SSB
230 10x5

SSB Box Squat
120 4x10

Band Abductors, mini band
4x25

Superset w/

Band Hamstring Curls, mini band
4x50

Squat Holds
Worked up to 405x14 seconds

This was a killer. The SSB squats were a grind. Might stick to them one more week then start working with the squat bar. Did some holds. Havent had that kind of weight on my back in a long time. 405 is a goal of mine. Probably wont hit it by the meet, but I’d like to have it by the end of the year. Not exactly sure where my squat is right now.

3/11

Bench

Wide Grip Bench
240 10x5

Comp Grip Holds
Worked up to 335, 22 seconds

Band Flyes, mini band
3x10

DB Ext.
30s 3x20

Doubled Mini Band Standing Ext.
3x10

Seated/Floor MP
45x10
65x10
85x10
90x10

DB Rows
100 3x10

Alt. Curls
3x30

Another good day. I’m really liking the holds. It’s been a long time since I had that kind of weight in my hands. I’m a little surprised I held it as long as I did. I could’ve held a little longer but I was getting bored. I’m going to try and work those in for my bench and squat every week. Try to get my body used to holding heavy stuff. I introduced myself to a few new exercises today. The seated floor military press and the band flyes. I got the idea for the MP from an interview with Louie Simmons. Sounded interesting. Definitely turns the movement into an entire body exercise. Abs and legs were tight the whole time.

3/12

Deads

Conv deadlift
355 8x5

Snatch grip deads
185 3x10

SSB GM
70 4x15

Hanging Ab Raises
4x20

Superset w/

Side Bends
50 4x15

20 min cardio

3/14

Bench Accessory

Pin Press, Chest High
335 10x5

Comp. Grip Holds
315 4x10sec

DB Press
65 3x15

BW Dips
5x10

Light Band Extensions
4x30

Pull Ups
BW 20lbs 10x5

Hammer Curls
50’s 3x5
30’s 1x20

Shitty day. Late night fire, kept us out till 3am. Didn’t get much sleep. Tried to nap when I came home, maybe got a good hour. So, I made myself get up and bulldog through the workout. I got all the work in I needed and called it a day.

4/2

Update

Haven’t been logging my workouts on here. Life punched me in the face over the last few weeks. Wife was in an accident. Not hurt but had to spend the night in the hospital to monitor the baby. A week later I had a blow-out on I-75 coming home from work. BROKE both rims on the passenger side of my truck. So, things have been a little chaotic. I haven’t missed any training, just haven’t really had the time to update. I’ll try to get some stuff up later tonight or tomorrow. I’ve been planning out my training to prepare for the meet. I’m about 13 weeks out. I’ve been working in some heavier stuff. If I don’t put up a 1220 total I might as well not show up. A lot of work to be done.

Last couple lower body days. Obviously I screwed up the video. Paused squats were first, reps were the 2nd set.

4/5

Deadlifts

Conv. Deads
Worked up to 470x1

BB Rows
135 4x10

Hypers
3x15

Weighted Pull Ups
BW+10 5x8

BB Shrugs
185 3x10

Hanging Leg Raises
3x20

1 min. planks x 3

This was a good day for me. First time I’ve worked well into the 400’s in awhile. 470 is the most I’ve pulled in my new gym. Not a PR but I see it as awesome progress. It usually takes me a long time to get back up over 450. I really wasn’t expecting to go this heavy but everything felt relatively good. I did pretty much all singles. Form got really shitty around 425, but I felt I was keeping pretty tight throughout the lift. I’m exactly 10 weeks out from my competition today. I’m definitely on track with my deadlift. Ive been struggling with my bench. Squat is going as expected. I’d really like to hit at least a 350 squat. I’ve been playing with high bar squatting again. I feel more stable with the high bar as opposed to the low bar squat style.

4/7

Bench

Comp. Grip BP
Worked up to 265x5 (new gym PR)
Cluster sets of 275x1, 5 sets with a pause

Inclined BP
135x15, 3 sets

Dips BW+25
x13, x9, x7

Rear Delt Raises
10’s 3x20

BB Curls
65 3x12

Best bench day I’ve had in a long time. I forgot how much I liked working up to one top set. I don’t feel so beat up afterwards. 265 was not an all time PR. Just in my new gym, and solo. It’s taken some time to acclimate to training solo. Really makes you think out your lifts. If it wasn’t for the 1in. hole spacing in my rack I’d probably have some problems. I’d really like to open with 295 at the meet. That in itself would be a meet PR for me. I think I’ll keep with the 5’s until I can’t beat the 5RM then I’ll bump it to 4’s or 3’s depending how much closer I am to the meet. Last 3 weeks I’d like to be no more than doubles. We’ll see how that goes. Sorry for the crotch shot’s in the video. Not really anywhere else I can set it up at the moment. Last set is actually 275x1 not 270.

Not sure if my last video went through. Tried to change some settings. Here it is again.

4/10

Squats

Worked up to 295x3

3 singles @ 300

Paused Squats
225 2x5

Hanging Leg Raises

Felt like shit today. Didn’t sleep at work. Allergies are getting to me. Truck is back in the shop. Baby due to be here any minute. The medical bills are piling up. Stress has taken over my life. It’s affecting my lifting. Don’t know any other way to get through it other than to bulldog it. Had a shitty day on the squat, I’ll have to double time it next week. I was really expecting a better triple though. I had been playing with high bar again, but as I got heavier the stability was there, but I was getting folded by shitty weights. So mid set I switched back to low bar. The walk out and hold is a little more unstable but I’m much stronger out of the hole with it a little lower on my back. I might just use high bar for light sets, or high rep sets. It kills my shoulders the next day, and I usually bench the next day so that’s not good. the singles felt pretty good. I used knee wrap to get used to them. I didn’t tighten them down too much, just enough to feel some compression. When I start hitting max singles I’ll cinch them down.

4/11

Light Bench

CG BP
Worked up to 225x8 (PR)
Pyramid down 205x9, 185x10

Paused Floor Press
185 4x6

DB Extensions
30’s 4x12

OHP
Worked up to 135x5 (PR)
95x13

BB Curls
95x20 Rest Pause

Chins
2x6

225x8 is a CG rep PR for me in the new gym. Index finger is on the smooth part of the bar. Worked fast today. Shoulders and elbows are a little sore from squatting yesterday. In all, decent day. 2 separate rep PRs.

4/13

Deads
405 3x3
425 2x2

Cambered Bar Deads off 14in. box
175 3x10

Hanging Leg Raises
3x20

Intent of the day was to do a couple sets of 405 for reps. Felt pretty good. Went up to 425, felt pretty heavy. Amazing how 20lbs can make that big of a difference. First time trying the cambered bar deads. I liked 'em. Stood on a box, and did 3 sets of 10. Smoked my grip and my lower back. Might incorporate those in for a few weeks.

5/2

Update:

Haven’t been keeping up with the log lately. Haven’t missed any training, just haven’t had the time. My son was born on 4/17 so I’ve been taking care of him and my wife. It’s hard to be away from him long enough to get a workout in! Everything is seeming to get into place. Hit a gym PR on squat (300x2) and deadlift (480x1) over the last 2 weeks. Just gotta get that bench up.

5/4

Bench

Worked up to 290 for a single
225 3x5

Weighted Dips
BW+10 5x10

Light band Tri work
200 reps

Rear Delt raises
15lbs 4x20

Weighted MG bar pull ups
BW+20 5x5

Hammers
30s 4x15
Av
Felt ok today. 290 felt heavy as shit. Considering making the jump to 198. I know my bench will go up with the extra weight. Something I’ll have to consider very soon.

5/5

Squat

Worked up to 315 w/ wraps for a single

SSB 155 3x10

Hanging Leg Raises
3x20

I get so depressed after squat singles. I get mad at myself for not squatting when I was younger. If I could do it all over again, I would throw out that “Bench only” mentality and fucking squat on a regular basis. As a result, I squat like a bitch. I know I’m capable of more. I’m hoping to hit 350 come meet time. That would be a 75lb. increase in about a year. So, I am improving, just should’ve been stronger at this point in my life.