Failure Optimal for Hypertrophy

A lot of different approaches it seems in this thread.

What I started doing this on ‘pump’ day after this article came out, this has been my approach. At the end of the workout, I have added leg extensions to failure. I start with a weight that I could normally do 10 or so reps, knock out 8, drop the weight one level 8 reps, all the way up the rack. Then I start my way back up the rack and when I start to get close to the 10 rep weight I am hitting 3 or so reps and keep doing a pause until I can’t get another rep.

Am I on the right path here?

Hey CT!

Sorry for bringing back a thread to life, and asking so many questions but I’ve re-read what you posted and some quesions popped to my mind (always eager to learn :slight_smile: ):

You said (in the other max-growth cluster topic where you first mentioned the CNS/Muscle split) 8 sets total a workout. I guess you don’t count the warmup sets, but how do you count the extended sets? I mean a rest-pause set is counted as 1 or 3 because you reach failure 3 times?

You said that 8 sets total, ideally 6 or less. After that you posted your Rest-pause article. How would you limit the sets in a training if you would use only rest-pause sets for isolation work?

Theoretically, can chest and back be paired in this system if keeping the above rules intact? (2-3 chest exercises, 2 lat exercise, 1 mid-back, no more than 8-9 working set to failure?) Alternating maybe? (1 chest, 1 lat, 1 chest, 1 lat, 1 mid back)

Strictly for hypertrophy goals: Could the CNS days be switched to using sets of 5-8 reps but keeping 8RPE? for instance, istead of a 2-3 RM 8 RPE Bench one would do db bench a 2-3 sets of 5-8 8RPE?

Thanks in advance,

A rest/pause is one set. doing 8+4+2 is no different than doing 1 x 14 reps, but with more weight.

Yes that’s fine… understand that the 6 sets rule applies for failure and beyond sets. You could do 2 sets per exercises that are somewhat challenging, but not to failure then do 2 failure/beyond sets. Understand that this applies mostly to isolation or low stress exercises.

I don’t like RPE that much, personally.

But CNS work is mostly sets at or above 80%, so normally up to 6 or sometimes 7 reps. So 4-7 could be used, ideally 4-6.