[quote]Smashingweights wrote:

A doctor of dental surgery isn’t a dental surgeon?[/quote]

No. A DDS is not an oral surgeon.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
-I’ve always thought Chiropractors were “not real doctors”…was I wrong? Is he appropriately labeling himself as “Dr. Smith”?
[/quote]
You’ve been here for 7 years and are just now realizing that the title doctor doesn’t make you a medical doctor? :slight_smile:
Anyone who has gone to school and earned a doctorate can call them selves a doctor.
You can become a doctor in any of these fields:
Philosophy
Education
Engineering
Theology
Sacred Theology
Science
Letters
Medicine (MD. Probably what you consider “a real doctor”)
Dental Surgery
Dental Medicine
Ministry
Business Administration
Strategic Leadership
Public Administration
Social Work
Biblical Studies
Practical Theology
Professional Studies
Etc. etc. etc.

There are a wide variety of “doctors” out there.
[/quote]

A “dental surgeon” is a “medical doctor”. They go to med school for that.

Other than that it looks like you copied and pasted that from some site without reading it first.[/quote]
So a DDS is the same thing as a MD?
Please stop being butthurt.
I didn’t insult your job.
Nothing I wrote was incorrect.[/quote]

I didn’t say that. A DDS isn’t a “dental surgeon”.[/quote]

And a dental surgeon isn’t necessarily an MD.

Aren’t you a DMD and not a MD?

I am a DMD, the type who uses a scalpel and sutures on an almost daily basis.
[/quote]

Oh right.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

And a dental surgeon isn’t necessarily an MD.[/quote]

?

An oral surgeon is an MD. There is no “dental surgeon” thus why I keep putting it in quotes.

What are you talking about?

?

An oral surgeon is an MD. There is no “dental surgeon” thus why I keep putting it in quotes.

What are you talking about?[/quote]

What degree was awarded to you? Was it a MD or DMD?

?

What degree was awarded to you? Was it a MD or DMD?[/quote]

This has nothing to do with my degree.

?

This has nothing to do with my degree.[/quote]

LOL. That’s what I thought. You are not a M.D.

?

LOL. That’s what I thought. You are not a M.D.[/quote]

WTF? Who ever said I was?

?

WTF? Who ever said I was?[/quote]

You did.

[/quote]

inb4 “I said ‘medical doctor’, not M.D.”

But you knew very well what Smashingweights was getting at. You just wanted to be a prick… again.

?

You did.

[/quote]

But you knew very well what Smashingweights was getting at. You just wanted to be a prick… again.[/quote]

?? An oral surgeon is a medical doctor. I am a DDS. What are you talking about?

There is no such thing as a “dental surgeon” which is why I put I in quotes because it can only mean ORAL SURGEON which requires med school.

I didn’t write anywhere that I was an MD.

?

You did.

[/quote]

But you knew very well what Smashingweights was getting at. You just wanted to be a prick… again.[/quote]

?? An oral surgeon is a medical doctor. I am a DDS. What are you talking about?

There is no such thing as a “dental surgeon” which is why I put I in quotes because it can only mean ORAL SURGEON which requires med school.

I didn’t write anywhere that I was an MD.[/quote]

Oral surgery is a specialty of dentistry is it not? Don’t most people mean MD when they refer to a medical doctor? I’m pretty sure that’s what Smashingweights meant. Pretty sure you knew that too.

Oral surgery is a specialty of dentistry is it not?[/quote]

No. Oral surgery is a specialty in medicine.

Why are you arguing with me as if I don’t know my own profession better than you?

[quote]

Don’t most people mean MD when they refer to a medical doctor? I’m pretty sure that’s what Smashingweights meant. Pretty sure you knew that too. [/quote]

UH, an Oral Surgeon is an MD. I think I have written that a whole lot by now…and you still can’t seem to get it…but are laughing at me?

Wow.

Why are you arguing with me as if I don’t know my own profession better than you?

[quote]

Don’t most people mean MD when they refer to a medical doctor? I’m pretty sure that’s what Smashingweights meant. Pretty sure you knew that too. [/quote]

UH, an Oral Surgeon is an MD. I think I have written that a whole lot by now…and you still can’t seem to get it…but are laughing at me?

Wow.[/quote]

You either have a M.D. or you don’t. You don’t.

[/quote]

I guess you should call the American Dental Association and let them know.

http://www.ada.org/6429.aspx#oms

[quote]

Wow.[/quote]

You either have a M.D. or you don’t. You don’t.[/quote]

It is a good thing I never said I did.

You seem to have some major issues, kid.

[quote]challer1 wrote:

What did your research indicate to you were the advantages of being a chiro? I certainly don’t see any other than it’s easier to get into school. I don’t have an aversion to Chiropractic, I am just looking at the situation realistically: what advantage does being a Chiro have over a doctor of osteopathy?

I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to be able to prescribe pharmaceuticals or run bloodwork. What if you had a chronic pain patient with type 2 diabetes who was overweight and struggling to lose weight? Wouldn’t you want to test their thyroid and be able to prescribe levothyroxine if the blood work indicated that? Why would you NOT want to have this ability?[/quote]

I saw the way a Chiropractic office was run and learned the scope of practice. A DO is essentially an MD that may or may not practice some long axis manipulative procedures. DOs haven’t been “holistic” in a long time. I don’t see myself as a holistic Dr., but rather a conservative solution for neuromuskuloskeletal issues. Prescribing meds is something Chiropractors seek to avoid. If our conservative approach fails, then the next step in the sequence is medicine, then surgery. I think folks miss out on a valuable part of the health care paradigm by skipping straight to medication. A Chiro can easily serve as a portal of entry provider for an assortment of conditions and can, in fact, perform X-rays and blood work and order MRIs, CTs, scintigraphy, etc. (May vary in some states, if not we can refer out for them).

Also, the inability to prescribe medication keeps malpractice costs down below $2000 per year which significantly decreases overhead. I could run an office off less than $1500 a month if I really wanted to.

[quote]

Wow.[/quote]

You either have a M.D. or you don’t. You don’t.[/quote]

It is a good thing I never said I did.

You seem to have some major issues, kid.[/quote]

And you seem to have major insecurity issues because you constantly insinuate to be something you are not.

Uh huh…I sure did that.

Wow.

Uh huh…I sure did that.

Wow.[/quote]

Yeah, you sure did.

Wow.

Wow, I wasn’t expecting all this.
I was merely showing the OP in a ball busting manner that the title doctor doesn’t imply medicine since there are “doctors” in all different fields of employment.

So you are a DDS Professor?
Doesn’t that stand gor “Doctor of Dental Surgery”?

A lot of strange stuff being said in this thread…

-Osteopathic medicine isn’t really some new age type of medicine (anymore) most of that OMM stuff is beaten out of you during your residency. This even includes AOA residencies. Though now that ACGME and AOA residency has merged I don’t see osteopathic manipulations sticking around for much longer.

-DO is pretty much synonymous with MD. (throw in MBBS and MDCM if you aren’t from North America). All the same rights, all the same practising opportunities and legally the same salaries. Nobody gives a shit where you went to medical school, what matters is your residency.

-At Super Saiyan, in a lot of regions, a Maxilofacial/Oral surgeon will go to medical school before their residency training. Some residency programs require it. It is often a speciality open to both MD and DDS/DMD but calling a graduate of this sort of program a “dentist” is like calling a DO graduate of an MD residency an “osteopath” or an MD an “allopath”. It just doesn’t happen.

To the OP:
Chiro isn’t regulated as severely as the medical community and therefore a lot of quacks tend to squeeze through. You will RARELY find someone with a PhD or MD/DMD/DO etc refer to a Chiro as “doctor”. I guess it’s something that’s put into our head and a sort of elitist attitude that is taught. Present some solid peer reviewed papers on what is often touted by Chiros and maybe that will warrant some respect.

This goes for certain DOs as well as MDs. Unless it’s evidence based medicine it’s quackery to me!