Do Squats and Deadlifts Work for You?

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]punkguitarist wrote:

[quote]ev1bl wrote:

[quote]punkguitarist wrote:
I have never once got sore traps or upper back from deadlifting. The only thing thats sore after deadlifts is my lowerback. Do you think this means they won’t do much for me in terms of upper back thickness?

On the other hand, trap bar deadlifts always makes my traps and upper back sore as shit. [/quote]

How much do you deadlift?

Soreness doesn’t have to mean anything. Your upperback muscles has to work hard to keep your shoulders in place whether you feel it or not, when deadlifting heavy weight.[/quote]

Not that much (yet). I usually work up to one set in the 4-6 rep range and then do a back off set of 8-12 reps.

Last workout I did 385 x 6 and then 325 x 12[/quote]

It’s pretty silly to expect a big upper back from just deadlifting, no matter what your leverages are.

That’s what fuckin heavy row variations, rack chins, pullups, and pulldowns are for. I thought that was common knowledge…[/quote]

Me too.

I don’t do barbell squats or deadlifts.

I do want more size on my legs but what I’m doing is working.
[photo]28758[/photo][/quote]

I can’t recall if mentioned this before X…but if you haven’t really focused on them for a while, I really could envision you getting more “sweep” if you focused on front squats. Just my $0.02, dunno if you’ve already given them a good try recently.

As far as squats/DLs go, quite simply, if people have proportionately long femurs/torso, it should be pretty clear, from a leverage perspective, those exercise will NOT be optimal for you for well-rounded leg growth. Having said that, If people opt to not squat and deadlift…they better be getting damn strong at whatever exercises they ARE using for legs. Strong is strong, the only questions is which tools you use to get there. [/quote]

Front squats are extremely uncomfortable for me and awkward. My biceps limit me from grabbing the bar without using the method where the arms are crossed…and when doing that I have very little control of the weight.

I would have more sweep if I could train my legs without severe knee pain for weeks afterwards. My legs are damned strong but my knees are shot.

Thank two mile runs in combat boots for that.

They work for me! - I think if you’re saying they work for you…a picture should be posted as evidence. You can’t say something works for you if you weigh next to nothing.

[quote]Shontayne wrote:
They work for me! - I think if you’re saying they work for you…a picture should be posted as evidence. You can’t say something works for you if you weigh next to nothing.[/quote]

I’ve been saying this for years. It would cut out a ton of bullshit if all of the people claiming this or that worked had pictures of themselves here.

If I wrote that deadlifts don’t work for me but had a small back, then no one should give a shit what I write. Meanwhile, every jackass and their mother is claiming “face pulls” are THE new thing for everyone to do, but I just don’t see the size backing that claim up.

I’ll stick to what works for me and what clearly works for others I will take into consideration. All others need to post a little less when it comes to “what works”.

[quote]Shontayne wrote:
They work for me! - I think if you’re saying they work for you…a picture should be posted as evidence. You can’t say something works for you if you weigh next to nothing.[/quote]

I’ve been saying this for years. It would cut out a ton of bullshit if all of the people claiming this or that worked had pictures of themselves here.

If I wrote that deadlifts don’t work for me but had a small back, then no one should give a shit what I write. Meanwhile, every jackass and their mother is claiming “face pulls” are THE new thing for everyone to do, but I just don’t see the size backing that claim up.

I’ll stick to what works for me and what clearly works for others I will take into consideration. All others need to post a little less when it comes to “what works”. [/quote]

Watch this thread die now, as people have nothing to back up what they’ve been saying! Just regurgitating what they’ve read on the internet and not spending enough time putting in the hard work.

• Prove me wrong people!

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

Sad face

I can’t say that they work for me? Drats.

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

Sad face

[/quote]

You have a picture in your avatar. He is clearly not talking about you.

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

nice legs they clearly work for you, what they look like for the front?

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

Sad face

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh, I thought I was the “weigh next to nothing” part.

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

Sad face

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This right here is a pet peeve of mine.

If we write, “let us know when you get to 200lbs”, we will invariably get some 6 foot 6 skinny dude logging on claiming, “what’s so special about 200lbs…I’m still skinny at 200lbs!!!”

Listen people, we know that outliers exist. We also know that 9 times out of 10, if a bunch of guys are discussing how to get huge. THEY ARE NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT WOMEN IN THAT CONTEXT.

Yes, short people, we know you exist as well so there is no reason to tell us that you can look huge while weighing less than 170lbs.

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

Sad face

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If we write, “let us know when you get to 200lbs”, we will invariably get some 6 foot 6 skinny dude logging on claiming, “what’s so special about 200lbs…I’m still skinny at 200lbs!!!”

Listen people, we know that outliers exist. We also know that 9 times out of 10, if a bunch of guys are discussing how to get huge. THEY ARE NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT WOMEN IN THAT CONTEXT.

Yes, short people, we know you exist as well so there is no reason to tell us that you can look huge while weighing less than 170lbs.
[/quote]

Uh-oh Nikki, I think X just called you fat.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:

[quote]Nikki9591 wrote:

[quote]Shontayne wrote:

Sad face

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Uh-oh Nikki, I think X just called you fat.

:slight_smile:

[/quote]

Shit, that won’t do.
Excuse me while I throw up my dinner.

What about 5 8"

I’m sure that recent t-vixen picture will convince even a callous and cold-hearted villain such as Professor X that you are not fat.

He probably had not yet seen it when he made his horrible, horrible post.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
I’m sure that recent t-vixen picture will convince even a callous and cold-hearted villain such as Professor X that you are not fat.

He probably had not yet seen it when he made his horrible, horrible post.

[/quote]

Look, I think I will need quite a few more pictures of her hind quarters before making any further decisions.

Until then, don’t make her cry.

She looks fat when she cries.

I don’t mean to alienate anyone here by saying what I’m about to. I realize different things work for different people…

But come on…

From the way some of you guys are talking, you come across as though you are saying squats/deadlifts do nothing for you.

At the end of the day most of you dudes are probably able to squat respectable numbers and are you really trying to tell me that if for instance you were doing 240lb back squat for sets of 8-10 reps that it does NOTHING for your body?

Because it has to be doing something.

Otherwise it just doesn’t make sense.

If you find it really doesn’t work in the way you’d expect it to then fair play but don’t go out there and try to make out as if it’s an exercise that does nothing. Because we all know that’s not true.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
What about 5 8"[/quote]

Huh. Did somebody say anything? looks left and right

Weird.

Must have been the wind.

Until then, don’t make her cry.

She looks fat when she cries.
[/quote]

I know, the puffed out cheeks and sobbing… does absolutely nothing for my figure.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:
I don’t mean to alienate anyone here by saying what I’m about to. I realize different things work for different people…

But come on…

From the way some of you guys are talking, you come across as though you are saying squats/deadlifts do nothing for you.

At the end of the day most of you dudes are probably able to squat respectable numbers and are you really trying to tell me that if for instance you were doing 240lb back squat for sets of 8-10 reps that it does NOTHING for your body?

If you find it really doesn’t work in the way you’d expect it to then fair play but don’t go out there and try to make out as if it’s an exercise that does nothing. Because we all know that’s not true.[/quote]

???

Who has written ANYTHING like this? There is a whole 50+ page thread above about how I train and I know I have gone into detail about this way too many times to count.

Some of you see what you want to see and nothing more.

you were doing 240lb back squat for sets of 8-10 reps [/quote]

Yeah, 240lbs don’t really do anything for me. Weird. Can’t imagine why.

But come on…

If you find it really doesn’t work in the way you’d expect it to then fair play but don’t go out there and try to make out as if it’s an exercise that does nothing. Because we all know that’s not true.[/quote]

???

Who has written ANYTHING like this? There is a whole 50+ page thread above about how I train and I know I have gone into detail about this way too many times to count.

Some of you see what you want to see and nothing more.[/quote]

I wasn’t aiming anything at you. I’ve read some of that thread and I totally accept that you train how you do and I respect it.

I was just saying I was picking up some sort of vibe on the first page of this thread, before you posted I believe, that seemed to come across like a lot of those guys weren’t just saying hey they don’t work for me but that they were generally trying to get across some moot point that squats or deadlifts don’t work. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe that’s not what they were trying to get across.
But whatever… I don’t care. I don’t particularly feel like getting in some sort of relative argument. We all know what the benefits are that’s all I’m saying.