Dems Push Big Lie About War

[quote]JustTheFacts wrote:
bigflamer wrote:
Were they central to the investigation? Should the White House turn over every document requested in every partisan investigstion of a current administration?

We’ve certainly seen from past democrat administrations that The white house can hide alot of documents under the white house umbrella.

“Both Republicans and Democrats on the committee say that their investigation was hampered by the refusal of the White House to turn over key documents”

US tore out 8000 pages of Iraq dossier

Seriously, a UN source?

Now that’s funny.

see below

CIA Questioned Documents Linking Iraq, Uranium Ore

Sounds to me like there was more evidence pointing towards what EVERYBODY had accepted as probable truth, than otherwise.

Does the Senate intelligence commitee have the same intelligence as the POTUS?

Many of the people who first went along with this war did so based on info supplied by the administration - they lied.
http://www.house.gov/waxman/text/admin_iraq_march_17_let.htm

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Some CIA analysts felt pressure from Cheney over Iraq

I think that going into Iraq was urgent, and for many more reasons than WMD’s.

But what was the MOST urgent reason - the $300 billion+ cost, the civil war, the 2000 troops killed or the $3 per gallon gas?

Inspectors Call U.S. Tips ‘Garbage’
CBS
Feb. 20, 2003 [month before war]

UN sources told CBS!!! Now that’s damn funny!

Were these the same inspectors that were sleeping in rooms that were tapped with listening devices?

And weren’t France, Russia, and Germany all on the take with Iraq?

And aren’t they permanent members of the UN security council?

Hmmmmmmm.

HA, HA - I see what’s so funny. The UN said before the war they couldn’t find any evidence of WMD’s but then we went in and… DIDN’T FIND ANY!

Somehow the irony escapes you. Now what motive would the “right” have for trying so hard to discredit the U.N.?

Panel: U.S. Ignored Work of U.N. Arms Inspectors
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21854-2005Apr2.html

Prewar Findings Worried Analysts
Washington Post
May 22, 2005
It has been clear since the September report of the Iraq Survey Group – a CIA-sponsored weapons search in Iraq – that the United States would not find the weapons of mass destruction cited by Bush as the rationale for going to war against Iraq.

Kelly spoke of dying in the woods
London
August 23, 2003
“I asked what would happen then (if Britain invaded Iraq) and he replied in a throw-away line he would probably be found dead in the woods,” Mr Boucher wrote.

Former U.N. inspector Dr Kelly’s body was found in a wood near his Oxfordshire home in July, after he had been revealed as the source of a BBC report that alleged Prime Minister Tony Blair’s office had “sexed up” last September’s pre-war Iraqi weapons dossier.

Who’s on the take?
US ‘backed illegal Iraqi oil deals’
Report claims blind eye was turned to sanctions busting by American firms
The Guardian
May 17, 2005
In fact, the Senate report found that US oil purchases accounted for 52% of the kickbacks paid to the regime in return for sales of cheap oil - more than the rest of the world put together.

Texan Indicted In Oil-for-Food Kickback Scheme

It’s over Johnny…OVER!

That’s right Johnny, it certainly does look to be over for the democratic party.

In what world would that be? (not that I have any high regard for the Democratic party either)

Santorum is 14pts behind Casey in PA - and losing more ground everyday.

Voter Anger Might Mean an Electoral Shift in '06
Public Voices Dissatisfaction Over Iraq War, Economy
Washington Post
November 6, 2005
One year before the 2006 midterm elections, Republicans are facing the most adverse political conditions of the 11 years since they vaulted to power in Congress in 1994. Powerful currents of voter unrest – including unhappiness over the war in Iraq and dissatisfaction with the leadership of President Bush – have undermined confidence in government and are stirring fears among GOP candidates of a backlash.

Your really going to ride this turd all the way to the ocean aren’t you?

Oh oh, this just in…
Newly Released Data Undercut Prewar Claims
Source Tying Baghdad, Al Qaeda Doubted
Washington Post
November 6, 2005
“The newly declassified information provides additional dramatic evidence that the administration’s prewar statements regarding links between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda represents an incredible deception,” Levin said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/05/AR2005110501267.html?nav=hcmodule[/quote]

Looks as though you may have missed a few pieces of the puzzle, just like that pinko, commie rag the NYT.

As Paul Harvey sez.
Now, the rest of the story.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/006/323epqda.asp

The Intelligence War
What the New York Times left out of its latest assault on the Bush administration.
by Stephen F. Hayes
11/06/2005 9:25:00 AM

LAST TUESDAY, Senate Democrats fired the opening shot in the coming battle over prewar intelligence on Iraq when Minority Leader Harry Reid took the Senate into a closed session. The offensive began in earnest this weekend with a New York Times article:

A high Qaeda official in American custody was identified as a likely fabricator months before the Bush administration began to use his statements as the foundation for its claims that Iraq trained Al Qaeda members to use biological and chemical weapons, according to newly declassified portions of a Defense Intelligence Agency document. The document, an intelligence report from February 2002, said it was probable that the prisoner, Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi, “was intentionally misleading the debriefers” in making claims about Iraqi support for Al Qaeda’s work with illicit weapons.

The document provides the earliest and strongest indication of doubts voiced by American intelligence agencies about Mr. Libi’s credibility. Without mentioning him by name, President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, Colin L. Powell, then secretary of state, and other administration officials repeatedly cited Mr. Libi’s information as “credible” evidence that Iraq was training Al Qaeda members in the use of explosives and illicit weapons.

The article, based on declassified excerpts of the DIA report provided by Michigan Senator Carl Levin, goes on to strongly suggest that Bush administration officials simply ignored this warning to scare the public into supporting war in Iraq.

The truth, as it so often is these days, is considerably more complicated.

The Times article cites a claim George W. Bush
made in a speech he gave in Cincinnati in October 2002. Bush said: “we’ve learned that Iraq has trained Al Qaeda members in bomb making and poisons and gases.”

Why would Bush make such a claim when a DIA report had raised the possibility that al Libi was lying? One possibility: The CIA was saying that al Libi was credible.

On February 11, 2003–a year after the DIA report–CIA Director George Tenet testified before the Senate Intelligence Committee. He said: “Iraq has in the past provided training in document forgery and bomb-making to al Qaeda. It has also provided training in poisons and gases to two al Qaeda associates. One of these associates characterized the relationship he forged with Iraqi officials as successful.”

In July 2004, the Senate Intelligence Committee released “Phase I” of its evaluation of prewar intelligence on Iraq. The 511-page document focused on the collection and analysis of intelligence by the U.S. intelligence community. Senate Democrats are pushing now for the completion of “Phase II.” They hope to use that report to demonstrate that the Bush administration, in the words of Levin, “went way beyond the intelligence, particularly as it relates to any relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda.”

The Phase I report criticized Tenet for his failure to note that the intelligence on Iraqi training of al Qaeda had come from sources of “varying reliability.” It may be a reasonable criticism. But if Levin and his colleagues want to show that statements from senior Bush administration officials went “way beyond the intelligence,” this seems like an odd way to do it. The head of the U.S. intelligence community made the same claim Bush did–using almost exactly the same words–some four months after Bush’s speech.

The Times article also provides Levin a platform to criticize the inclusion of al Libi’s claims in Colin Powell’s presentation to the U.N. Security Council on February 5, 2003. From the article:

Mr. Powell relied heavily on accounts provided by Mr. Libi for his speech to the United Nations Security Council on Feb. 5, 2003, saying that he was tracing “the story of a senior terrorist operative telling how Iraq provided training in these weapons to Al Qaeda.”

At the time of Mr. Powell’s speech, an unclassified statement by the C.I.A. described the reporting, now known to have been from Mr. Libi, as “credible.” But Mr. Levin said he had learned that a classified C.I.A. assessment at the time went on to state that “the source was not in a position to know if any training had taken place.”

Why, then, did Carl Levin endorse Phase I of the Senate Intelligence Committee’s report? On pages 366-370, the committee evaluated the terrorism portion of Powell’s presentation and offered its conclusions.

Conclusion 103. The information provided by the Central Intelligence Agency for the terrorism portion of Secretary Powell’s speech was carefully vetted by both terrorism and regional analysts.

Conclusion 104. None of the portrayals of the intelligence reporting included in Secretary Powell’s speech differed in any significant way from earlier assessments published by the Central Intelligence Agency.

Neither of these conclusions is mentioned in the Times piece.

LEVIN TOLD the Washington Post that he did not have the DIA document until after the Phase I report was

completed. That’s possible. But given his history on the issue, it’s also possible that Levin was simply waiting until he could be sure his claims would be most politically damaging to the administration. (This is the man who released his own personal “study” of the intelligence on October 21, 2004, two weeks before the presidential election.) Whatever the truth of the matter, if history holds, Levin was almost certainly cherry-picking the intelligence, using only the information that supports his charges and ignoring the rest.

The rest is important. It provides much-needed context to the Bush administration’s prewar claims. For example, we learn from the Phase I report that the CIA produced a classified analysis in September 2002 called Iraqi Support for Terrorism. The report assessed: “The general pattern that emerges is of al Qaeda’s enduring interest in acquiring chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN) expertise from Iraq.”

Among the conclusions of Iraqi Support for Terrorism were these:

Regarding the Iraq-al Qaeda relationship, reporting from sources of varying reliability points to . . . incidents of training . . . [ellipses in original]

The most disturbing aspect of the relationship is the dozen or so reports of varying reliability mentioning the involvement of Iraq or Iraqi nationals in al Qaeda’s efforts to obtain CBW training.

There is no question that al Libi’s claims that Iraq trained al Qaeda on chemical and biological weapons were important. But one of the reasons that the CIA and Bush administration policymakers took them so seriously is because they fit a pattern of earlier reporting, albeit reporting from sources of “varying reliability.”

These claims did not begin with the Bush administration. Senior Clinton administration officials repeatedly claimed that Iraq had provided chemical weapons expertise–at least–to al Qaeda in 1998. After al Qaeda terrorists struck two U.S. embassies in East Africa the Clinton administration retaliated by striking an al Qaeda training camp in Afghanistan and the al Shifa pharmaceutical factory in Sudan. In its defense of the al Shifa strikes, Clinton administration officials cited an al Qaeda presence at suspected chemical weapons facilities in Sudan. These facilities, according to both Clinton administration spokesmen and senior intelligence officials, were the result of a collaborative effort between Iraqi scientists, the Sudanese Military Industrial Corporation and al Qaeda terrorists. Clinton administration officials stand by those claims today.

Does Carl Levin think they are wrong?

ONE FINAL POINT: For two years Carl Levin has led the Democratic assault on the credibility of Bush administration’s claim of an Iraq-al Qaeda connection. It is worth moment to examine his credibility on these same issues.

In the months after the March 2003 invasion of Iraq, Levin repeatedly accused the Bush administration of pressuring intelligence officials to reach conclusions that supported the case for war. He provided an example in an appearance on The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer on June 16, 2003, saying, “We were told by the intelligence community that there was a very strong link between Iraq and al Qaeda.”

But Levin’s allegations were undermined as the Senate Intelligence Committee interviewed analysts to determine whether they were pressured to change their analyses. None of the analysts supported his claim, a finding that was later confirmed in the Phase I report.

So Levin adjusted his allegation. “The intel didn’t say that there is a direct connection between al Qaeda and Iraq,” he said in an appearance on Fox News Channel on February 2, 2004. “That was not the intel. That’s what this administration exaggerated to produce.”

So which is it? Did the intelligence claim a “very strong link” or no direct connection?

At his press conference last week, Levin went even further. “The intelligence was not far off as it related to the nonexistent relationship between al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein.”

Carl Levin may believe that there was no relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda. But his claims are at odds with the views of the CIA.

As noted above, the CIA assessed in Iraqi Support for Terrorism that “the most disturbing aspect of the relationship is the dozen or so reports of varying reliability mentioning the involvement of Iraq or Iraqi nationals in al Qaeda’s efforts to obtain CBW training.” [emphasis added].

Fortunately, we are no longer reliant on Carl Levin’s claims or even CIA analyses for our understanding of the Iraq-al Qaeda connection. Documents uncovered in postwar Iraq allow us to test Levin’s views and CIA prewar assessments against the words and deeds of the former Iraqi regime.

On June 25, 2004, the New York Times reported on an internal Iraqi Intelligence Service (IIS) document that discussed relations between Saddam Hussein’s regime and Osama bin Laden’s al Qaeda. The document, authenticated by the U.S. intelligence community, reports on meetings between bin Laden emissaries and Uday Hussein in 1994. The document further reports that the Iraqi regime agreed to a request from bin Laden to broadcast sermons from an anti-Saudi cleric. The IIS document advises that “cooperation between the two organizations should be allowed to develop freely through discussion and agreement.” And when bin Laden was ousted from Sudan in 1996, the document reports that Iraqis were “seeking other channels through which to handle the relationship.”

All of which makes one thing clear: Carl Levin may still believe there was no relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda.

But the Iraqis, who might have had unique insight into such matters, thought otherwise.

Stephen F. Hayes is a senior writer at The Weekly Standard.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
AZMojo wrote:
Many on this board like to use the term “liberal” as an insult also, just like redneck.

I don’t mindthe use of insulting words, particularly if they are limited to political connotations.

I am well aware of Webster and his book of definitions. But the meaning of the word liberal has changed - at least as far as it’s definition in pop culture.

And to even try and equate using liberal, or conservative, or neo-con - with the use of racial slurs is hardly is a very very weak position. It is absurd.

[/quote]

Please Mr. Rainjack, tell us all what your definition of liberal is. We need to hear from an expert on pop culture. Please try to at least address the ideas mentioned in the formal definition.

If you want to talk about absurd, let’s talk about a good 'ol boy white redneck crying racism.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
rainjack wrote:

I just find that particular word very offensive when it is used to convey contempt for an entire group of people.

What if that entire group of people is contemptuous?

[/quote]

I wouldn’t go that far, I have a few liberal friends.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
[/quote]

For anyone to say that an entire group of people is contemptuous is bigoted. But you have to understand the line I am drawing to separate politics from everyday life.

I don’t have a problem with someone calling me a neo-con, or whatever in the context of a political argument. But I think using terms that are racial at ther core are wrong - regardless of the color of the skin you are trying to insult.

[quote]AZMojo wrote:
Please Mr. Rainjack, tell us all what your definition of liberal is. We need to hear from an expert on pop culture. Please try to at least address the ideas mentioned in the formal definition.[/quote]

Take your pick from 6 or 7 different definitions. I subscribe to the ones that say that liberal is typically on the left side of the political spectrum. If you have a problem with the current interpretation of the word, especially as it applies to political discourse, then you should change pop-culture. Bitching at me about it probably won’t get you very far.

[quote]If you want to talk about absurd, let’s talk about a good 'ol boy white redneck crying racism.
[/quote]

Why is that absurd? You have made a few assumptions, or prejudgements about me, that were made only to fit me into the box that you want me stuffed into. What does that say about you? What do you call a racially prejuduced person? That’s right…I think it’s bigot, or racist.

Thinking that just because a person is white and from the south that they deserve whatever epithet you want to hurl at them is pretty much as racist as you can get. It just happens to be a popular color to pick on these days.

[quote]AZMojo wrote:
If you want to talk about absurd, let’s talk about a good 'ol boy white redneck crying racism.
[/quote]

Yea, cuz it’s totally impossible for a white redneck to be discriminated against right?

Congratulations! your now a leading candidate for the dumbest, most ignorant post today.Can’t say for sure since I haven’t read anything from jlesk today yet. But so far your chances look promising.

Keep up the good work!

[quote]rainjack wrote:
harris447 wrote:

For anyone to say that an entire group of people is contemptuous is bigoted. But you have to understand the line I am drawing to separate politics from everyday life.

I don’t have a problem with someone calling me a neo-con, or whatever in the context of a political argument. But I think using terms that are racial at ther core are wrong - regardless of the color of the skin you are trying to insult. [/quote]

It’s just amusing that a man who, just a few posts ago, felt fine with calling people ‘faggots’ has the balls to claim offense at the the word ‘redneck’.

Plus…could you tell us exactly what is good about rednecks? Why should they not be mocked out of existence, much like mullets?

[quote]rainjack wrote:
AZMojo wrote:
Please Mr. Rainjack, tell us all what your definition of liberal is. We need to hear from an expert on pop culture. Please try to at least address the ideas mentioned in the formal definition.

Take your pick from 6 or 7 different definitions. I subscribe to the ones that say that liberal is typically on the left side of the political spectrum. If you have a problem with the current interpretation of the word, especially as it applies to political discourse, then you should change pop-culture. Bitching at me about it probably won’t get you very far.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=liberal[quote]

----The urbandictionary.com? What’s next? Rainjack’s Thesaurus?

----You still haven’t addressed what you don’t adhere to from the actual definition of liberal.

[quote]
Why is that absurd? You have made a few assumptions, or prejudgements about me, that were made only to fit me into the box that you want me stuffed into. What does that say about you? What do you call a racially prejuduced person? That’s right…I think it’s bigot, or racist.

Thinking that just because a person is white and from the south that they deserve whatever epithet you want to hurl at them is pretty much as racist as you can get. It just happens to be a popular color to pick on these days.

[quote]

----Don’t go getting all PC on me Rainjack. That’s stricly “liberal” territory. Be careful.

----FYI, being from the south is NOT a race. Therefore, no racism is involved.

----I’m pretty sure this is first time I’ve heard a white male accuse somebody of racism against HIM.

----Everybody’s always picking on Whitey.

----I enjoy a good political discussion as much as you but, let’s stop the racism talk, because you’re really starting to sound silly.

[quote]
JustTheFacts wrote:

Oh oh, this just in…
Newly Released Data Undercut Prewar Claims
Washington Post
November 6, 2005
“The newly declassified information provides additional dramatic evidence that the administration’s prewar statements regarding links between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda represents an incredible deception,” Levin said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/05/AR2005110501267.html?nav=hcmodule

bigflamer wrote:

Looks as though you may have missed a few pieces of the puzzle, just like that pinko, commie rag the NYT.

As Paul Harvey sez.
Now, the rest of the story.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/006/323epqda.asp

…[/quote]

Here’s another good post taking a look at these articles:

Cherrypicking The Intelligence

Yesterday the NY Times and the WaPo had the same story - the Bush Administration had been warned that some of the alleged ties between Al Qaeda and Saddam were coming from a high-level Al Qaeda detainee with credibility problems.

The Times ( Report Warned Bush Team About Intelligence Doubts - The New York Times ):

[i]Report Warned Bush Team About Intelligence Suspicions

By DOUGLAS JEHL

WASHINGTON, Nov. 5 - A high Qaeda official in American custody was identified as a likely fabricator months before the Bush administration began to use his statements as the foundation for its claims that Iraq trained Al Qaeda members to use biological and chemical weapons, according to newly declassified portions of a Defense Intelligence Agency document... [/i]

The WaPo ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/05/AR2005110501267.html ):

[i] Newly Released Data Undercut Prewar Claims

By Walter Pincus
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, November 6, 2005;  Page A22

In February 2002, the Defense Intelligence Agency questioned the reliability of a captured top al Qaeda operative whose allegations became the basis of Bush administration claims that terrorists had been trained in the use of chemical and biological weapons in Iraq, according to declassified material released by Sen. Carl M. Levin (D-Mich.).

Referring to the first interrogation report on al Qaeda senior military trainer Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi, the DIA took note that the Libyan terrorist could not name any Iraqis involved, any chemical or biological material used or where the training occurred. As a result, "it is more likely this individual is intentionally misleading the debriefers," a DIA report concluded.[/i]

And it gets worse! From the WaPo:

Levin pointed specifically to an Oct. 7, 2002, speech in which the president outlined what he said was the “grave threat” from Iraq days before the House and Senate voted on a resolution giving him the authority to go to war.

“We’ve learned that Iraq has trained al Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases,” Bush said, an assertion that was based, according to Levin, primarily on al-Libi’s material.

Oh, Bush lied, and Levin caught him! But wait - a few paragraphs later, we get this:

Levin also pointed out that before the war, the CIA had its own reservations about al-Libi, although the agency did not note them in its publicly distributed unclassified statements. In those, Levin said, it described the source – without naming al-Libi – as “credible.” In the classified version, however, the CIA added that the source “was not in a position to know if any training had taken place.”

Do tell. Let’s excerpt what George Tenet wrote to the Senate on Oct 2, 2002 ( C.I.A. Letter to Senate on Baghdad's Intentions ), just before the Bush speech:

[i]Regarding Senator Bayh’s Evan Bayh, Democrat of Indiana question of Iraqi links to al-Qa’ida. Senators could draw from the following points for unclassified discussions:

* Our understanding of the relationship between Iraq and al-Qa'ida is evolving and is based on sources of varying reliability. Some of the information we have received comes from detainees, including some of high rank.

* We have solid reporting of senior level contacts between Iraq and al-Qa'ida going back a decade.

* Credible information indicates that Iraq and al-Qa'ida have discussed safe haven and reciprocal nonaggression.

* Since Operation Enduring Freedom, we have solid evidence of the presence in Iraq of al-Qa'ida members, including some that have been in Baghdad.

* [b]We have credible reporting that al-Qa'ida leaders sought contacts in Iraq who could help them acquire W.M.D. capabilities.[/b] The reporting also stated that Iraq has provided training to al-Qa'ida members in the areas of poisons and gases and making conventional bombs.

* Iraq's increasing support to extremist Palestinians coupled with growing indications of a relationship with al-Qa'ida, suggest that Baghdad's links to terrorists will increase, even absent U.S. military action. [/i]

Emphasis added.

Now, why do we have a CIA? Is the White House meant to simply rely on the DIA, and put George “Slam Dunk” Tenet’s view in the round file? (OK, not a bad idea, but…)

As an aside, this DIA report questioning Saddam/Qaeda links was circulated in Feb 2002, just as the DIA was also catching Dick Cheney’s eye with another report ( http://web.mit.edu/simsong/www/iraqreport2-textunder.pdf ):

[i]Based on information from the CIA report from the foreign service, on February 12, 2002, the DIA wrote a finished intelligence product titled Niamey signed an agreement to sell 500 tons of uranium a year to Baghdad (NMJIC [National Military Joint Intelligence Center] Executive Highlight, Vol 028-02, Februaryl2, 2002).[/i]

Was that DIA report equally credible?

I’ll grant that this game of selective declassification will prod the Senate Republicans into finally issuing the follow-up cover-up about pre-war intelligence. In that respect, it is Mission Accomplished for Carl Levin.

MORE: My personal hero is all this remains Dianne Feinstein of California, whose position was, in my retelling, “I didn’t believe the lies, but I supported the war anyway”.

FYI, here are the declassified NIE excerpts: JustOneMinute: I Ignored Bush's Lies (But Supported the War Anyway)

[quote]harris447 wrote:
It’s just amusing that a man who, just a few posts ago, felt fine with calling people ‘faggots’ has the balls to claim offense at the the word ‘redneck’.[/quote]

You are right. I never said I was perfect. But truth be told - I called you a faggot i response to you calling me a redneck. Tt-for-tat. But your point is well taken. I was wrong to say what I said.

[quote]Plus…could you tell us exactly what is good about rednecks? Why should they not be mocked out of existence, much like mullets?
[/quote]

You tell me what I redneck is and I’ll reply. Why are you so scared of white southerners. Or even more specifically white male Texans? They have groups you can go to to help you with irrational fears. I’d really like to know what makes you so different from those you want eliminate from existence.

AZMojo -

Fix your post. I can’t make haeds or tails out of it until you fix the screwed up quotey thingies.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

[/quote]

Liberals and rednecks refers to the those on the politically left and those who have a having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

Now I was refering to the slightly more opinionated members of this forum. I didn’t call you a redneck, why are you sooooooo mad? Oops, unless…

[quote]Elder Troll wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Liberals and rednecks refers to the those on the politically left and those who have a having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

Now I was refering to the slightly more opinionated members of this forum. I didn’t call you a redneck, why are you sooooooo mad? Oops, unless…[/quote]

I am opinionated. That’s why I post down here. That does not make me a racist, or a redneck.

I really don’t know what all the uproar is over me disliking the use of the word ‘redneck’. Substitue the ‘N’ word for redneck, and see how far you get with it.

If no one sees anything wrong with it - then knock yourself out. I find it offensive. That is all. And folks that use it to describe an entire group of people in a derogatory light are just as reacist, and bigoted as those they are describing.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

I really don’t know what all the uproar is over me disliking the use of the word ‘redneck’. Substitue the ‘N’ word for redneck, and see how far you get with it.

[/quote]

Okay, anyone’s got a problem with the word neo-cons?

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Why is that absurd? You have made a few assumptions, or prejudgements about me, that were made only to fit me into the box that you want me stuffed into. What does that say about you? What do you call a racially prejuduced person? That’s right…I think it’s bigot, or racist. [/quote]

That’ kinda what I meant to get at. If some troll came on here dropping n-bombs left and right, you wouldn’t take anything they said seriously because you’d know what kind of fool they were. Why let anyone who comes on here spewing “redneck” get to you, especially if you know you don’t fit his dumbass definition of the word? You know instantly he’s a fool.

That’s all true. You know he’s a fool, so why let it get to you.

I should have PM’s you instead of hijacking this thread. Poor BB is trying hard to keep it on track.

rainjack wrote:

Okay, anyone’s got a problem with the word neo-cons?[/quote]

Hey dipshit, it’s not the word, it’s the context in which you use it, again if anyone doesn’t understand how context can change the meaning or spirit of a word, i’ll have you go back to high school english class.

When rainman calls someone a liberal, yes he’s using it derogatorily, but only in the sense that he thinks political ideology left of center is backwards and silly, so basically thats what he is calling say vroom for example when he calls him a lib. He is not attacking vrooms character per say, just his political leanings and understanding of politics.

When you use the term redneck in a political discussion, you are accusing someone of being racist, hate filled and extremely stupid, there is a big difference there. The biggest problem I have with this underhanded tactic, is that it is an attempt at disguising your vitrol. Many do it, they try to act cute and funny, but all that really comes through is ignorance and hate. Rainman is sure opinionated and he will stick to his guns on his beliefs, I know, I have crossed paths with him more than once. I do not for one moment think he is racist stupid or worthy of such insults.

I’m not saying he is the only one that has gotten attacked lately, and surley he is guilty of it himself from time to time, but if your going to attempt to insult or degrade someone, do it with class and just call them a “fucking retard” instead of this cutsy bullshit redneck stuff. It adds nothing to the conversation and just causes 3 pages of unecessary posts about the definition of words and who said what and what each person meant and all that happy horseshit.

Go on with the Chlorophyll!!!

V

[quote]rainjack wrote:
harris447 wrote:
It’s just amusing that a man who, just a few posts ago, felt fine with calling people ‘faggots’ has the balls to claim offense at the the word ‘redneck’.

You are right. I never said I was perfect. But truth be told - I called you a faggot i response to you calling me a redneck. Tt-for-tat. But your point is well taken. I was wrong to say what I said.

Plus…could you tell us exactly what is good about rednecks? Why should they not be mocked out of existence, much like mullets?

You tell me what I redneck is and I’ll reply. Why are you so scared of white southerners. Or even more specifically white male Texans? They have groups you can go to to help you with irrational fears. I’d really like to know what makes you so different from those you want eliminate from existence.
[/quote]

Here’s the post I was referring to:

harris447 wrote:
wesstangl wrote:
OFF TOPIC
Did you know that TEXAS has the right too seperate.

You have no idea how happy that would make so, so many people.

Your jealosy is showing.

Texas seceding would make REAL Texans a lot happier than it would a bunch of Jersey faggots.

so…where in that do I call you a redneck?

You’re lying again. Your use of the word “faggot” came out of nowhere, in response to a mild joke.

And you’re really stretching–one might say “making shit up as you go” with the scared of texans thing. Amused, maybe.

rainjack wrote:

Okay, anyone’s got a problem with the word neo-cons?[/quote]

No, I have a problem with all your posts in here period.

Maybe you don’t have the personality that lends itself to a political forum. But in my zeal to prove others wrong, I actually end up learning something. It makes me look up things I have never read about, as I won’t post on something I at least don’t know the basics of.

There aren’t many places to argue politics, as most people don’t want to hear it, get too upset, or things just get ugly. So why not a forum for it?

Understand? Good. Fuck off.

[quote]harris447 wrote:
You’re lying again. Your use of the word “faggot” came out of nowhere, in response to a mild joke.

And you’re really stretching–one might say “making shit up as you go” with the scared of texans thing. Amused, maybe.
[/quote]

I apologized for that crack. I didn’t go back and re-read everything, so I was wrong on the context as well. Is that better? At least I am man enough to admit I said something out of line, yet you continue with your racist slurs. I guess that makes you feel tough or something.

I asked you to define redneck. Is there a probelm getting that done?

Interesting section that certainly doesn’t apply to Rainjack:

"Generally, there is a continuum from redneck (a derisive term) to the country person; however, there are differences. Rednecks typically are more libertine, especially in their personal lives, than their country brethren who tend towards social conservatism. Also, the lowest class rednecks, especially, have a penchant for the obscene or outrageous (see “stereotype” below).

In contrast to country people, they tend not to attend church, or do so infrequently. They also tend to use alcohol and gamble more than their church going neighbors. Further, “politically apathetic” better describes this group. The younger ones generally don’t vote. If they do vote, while they tend towards populism and the Democratic party, they are less homogenous than the country people and other Southern whites. Many Southern celebrities like the late Jerry Clower and Jeff Foxworthy embrace the redneck label. It is used both as a term of pride and as a derogatory epithet; sometimes to paint country people and/or their lifestyle as being low class. In one of his stand-up routines, Foxworthy sums up the condition as “a glorious absence of sophistication” (be it permenant or temporary).

Writer Edward Abbey, as well as the original Earth First! under Dave Foreman (before that group was taken over by urban leftists around 1990), proudly adopted the term rednecks to describe themselves. This reflected the term’s probable historical origin among striking coal miners to describe white rural working-class radicalism. “In Defense of the Redneck” was a popular essay by Ed Abbey. One popular early Earth First! bumper sticker was “Rednecks for Wilderness.” Murray Bookchin, an urban leftist and social ecologist, objected strongly to Earth First!'s use of the term as having racist overtones and used this as part of his broader attack on deep ecology, possibly reflecting pro-urban and anti-white working class, anti-rural biases."