Deadlifts Are Good For You

[quote]btm62 wrote:
SilentQuest wrote:
Do you guys use mixed grip for dl? If yes, woudl you say that alternating every set can avoid possibility of developing imbalance?

Alternating grip was told to me this way by an “old” guy who I respect very much and is strong as hell. He said, that basically, and you are correct as well about imbalance, but it will save you much wear and tear on your biceps. [/quote]

I use a pronated grip (palms facing me). I like it better because you do not have to worry about any imbalances. I also mostly use wrist wraps to support my grip which helps.

[quote]grey wrote:
I’ve read all kinds of garbage recently that deadlifts are “bad for your back”.
Well…let me tell you a little story.
Three months ago I had a doctor tell me that I had probably herniated a disk.
I had lower back pain from doing heavy standing military presses.

This doctor told me to stop lifting weights. What did i do? I began an intensive deadlift routine and whala! 3 months later the same doctor has given me an all clear signal.
What does this lead me to believe…

1. doctors don’t know shit from shinola
  2. deadlifts are good for strengthening your back.
  3. doctors don’t know shit from shinola.

Conclusion…deadlifts are our best friend and doing them right gives total body strength.

Finally…I will never stop deadlifting.[/quote]

succesive weeks of heavy deads can exhaust your cns, be careful not to overtrain AND focus on strengthening your deadlift assistance exercises:

deep narrow stance squatting, reverse hyper, rdl’s, glute ham, etc

[quote]grey wrote:

[/quote]

I completely agree. So if ever you get cancer, God forbid, do NOT go see a doctor…

You guys got me all pumped up about how this is all good stuff. I guess I’ll try to get some light ones in as I’ve avoided them completely with a 5 month old ruptured L5.

My doctor says stop lifting and do aerobics and swimming. Pssst. NEVER!

I f*cking love doing Waterbury Walks (AKA Deadlift Walks). I use a pronated grip, no wraps, relatively light. I shoot for 5x5, 2xWk. I up the weight about 10% when I can do 5x5. By not using wraps I have no choice but going lighter, which might help my form, and my grip is getting mighty strong. My back feels better than ever. I am addicted to that sort of full-chain tightness I get.

Gotta love the deadlift. I followed Pavel’s PTP for about 6 months. DL 5X week 2X5. Start off the cycle light and slowly get heavier. Never to failure and take an extra day off if you feel burnt out. Reset before each rep. It worked amazing. Had every trainer come over to me: “you should wear a belt”, “don’t go so heavy”, “not good to do every day”. I never got hurt and just kept getting stronger and stronger. DL went up by 150 lbs. Granted I was a newbie when I started.

It’s the only lift that actually makes me nervous/scared before doing it. I agree, form is key—took a few months to get it. Stay on the heels–almost falling backwards. Back tight, stomach tight, ass tight. And my dl mantra–push the feet through the fu@king floor. But I hate the negative. Wish I could just drop the bar or someone would invent something to stop the (waste of energy) negative.

[quote]summa wrote:
btm62 wrote:
SilentQuest wrote:
Do you guys use mixed grip for dl? If yes, woudl you say that alternating every set can avoid possibility of developing imbalance?

Alternating grip was told to me this way by an “old” guy who I respect very much and is strong as hell. He said, that basically, and you are correct as well about imbalance, but it will save you much wear and tear on your biceps.

I use a pronated grip (palms facing me). I like it better because you do not have to worry about any imbalances. I also mostly use wrist wraps to support my grip which helps.[/quote]

Yes, i would love to do all sets pronated - but my grip strength is weak and it gives out in the middle of set, which is very frustrating… I suppose i can use wraps but that would hinder my grip strength development; catch 22 i guess. Alternating mixed-grip will have to do for now…

[quote]MarcAnthony wrote:
grey wrote:

I completely agree. So if ever you get cancer, God forbid, do NOT go see a doctor…[/quote]

Of course when saying that they know shit i am obviously referring to the general practitioner who believes bodybuilding is dangerous and unecessary. I hope it’s understood that I am not referring to gynocology.
There are exceptions, though few and far between.

My doctor was 100 pounds overweight and had had 2 heart attacks.
He was the perfect example of do what i say and not what i do.

[quote]grey wrote:
I’ve read all kinds of garbage recently that deadlifts are “bad for your back”.
Well…let me tell you a little story.
Three months ago I had a doctor tell me that I had probably herniated a disk.
I had lower back pain from doing heavy standing military presses.

This doctor told me to stop lifting weights. What did i do? I began an intensive deadlift routine and whala! 3 months later the same doctor has given me an all clear signal.

Conclusion…deadlifts are our best friend and doing them right gives total body strength.

Finally…I will never stop deadlifting.[/quote]

Grey, the deadlift advice is right on!But don’t forget how important ab work is for the low back.
I was having back problems until I trained the hell out of my abs.Problem solved.Core training rules.

[quote]SilentQuest wrote:
summa wrote:
btm62 wrote:
SilentQuest wrote:

Alternating grip was told to me this way by an “old” guy who I respect very much and is strong as hell. He said, that basically, and you are correct as well about imbalance, but it will save you much wear and tear on your biceps.

I use a pronated grip (palms facing me). I like it better because you do not have to worry about any imbalances. I also mostly use wrist wraps to support my grip which helps.

Yes, i would love to do all sets pronated - but my grip strength is weak and it gives out in the middle of set, which is very frustrating… I suppose i can use wraps but that would hinder my grip strength development; catch 22 i guess. Alternating mixed-grip will have to do for now… [/quote]

That is the main reason why I never use wrist wraps for lifting. The trick is to have a grip that parallels the power you have in your other bodyparts.
By using wristwraps you get even more unbalanced.
Personally I don’t use gloves or wristwraps. They just aren’t for me.
It’s like using those chinup helpy platform-a-jiggers that some gyms have.

Word. I was born with Sheurman’s Kyphosis and I’ve always had lower back pain. Deadlifting kicks that pain to the curb.

I have injured myself deadlifting, but only when I used 2 “touch and go.” Now I pause and reset before every rep. I highly recommend this.

Also, Reverse Hypers do wonders for my lower back. If I wake up with back pain, I pound out a few and it instantly disappears.

As for the staggered or alternating grip, the main reason for it is to help keep the back arched and not rounded. The staggered grip helps your torso stay tight and upright, while the pronated grip “suggests” to your body to round the back. Pronated lifters won’t always round the back, but it’s easier to do.

I did not know that. Thanks for the info!

Supermans are great for my back too.

[quote]Fenris wrote:
As for the staggered or alternating grip, the main reason for it is to help keep the back arched and not rounded. The staggered grip helps your torso stay tight and upright, while the pronated grip “suggests” to your body to round the back. Pronated lifters won’t always round the back, but it’s easier to do.[/quote]