Cyclonengineer’s Engineering New Muscle

This is just assumed by those who live outside of Florida. I know you are a rational person (or at least it seems). My mother in law lives there, so I have been there a bunch recently. It is nice around this time of the year. I have not found an area of Florida that had good drivers yet though. It also seems Florida’s state government does some pretty blatant polarizing things.

Honestly, Florida’s state government is fairly well ran from my perspective.
Bad drivers are definitely a thing…I almost got t-boned the other day because someone went through a red light when I had a left turn signal (and a second car followed that one).
Since I am diabetic, i am trying to limit my ventures out to necessary trips and work only. The gym was my one “risky” activity because it was helping my mental health. Not worth it now.
Florida has a lot of “political zealots” as I call them, incapable of rational thought or cognitive dissonance on both ends of the spectrum.

1 Like

Last time I was there was around March (my father in law passed). Not all that close to the election. I saw several groups out at corners waving political flags (I would say Trump groups out numbered Biden groups by at least 4:1 in the area I was in). I don’t see that in my state other than on the week of the election.

1 Like

I have not ahah. Honestly, having only BW and bands, not even some bar to do dips or pull-ups is quite demotivating.

Personally I would switch between higher “intensity stuff”: HSPU, Pull-ups, dips, pike push-ups… and volume stuff like doing some bodyweight WODs or workout with many reps of thinks like push up, air squats… Taking this time to improve cardio as well…

If they close down the gyms here I’ll write up whatever I end up doing. Dips I could make do without. Pull-ups not so much. Have you considered buying a pair of rings? I have a pair of EXF Rings and they’re mega-convenient. If you can find a tree branch, you have your pull-up and dip station.

But between

• Squats (bodyweight and split squat)
  • Push-ups
  • Pull-ups/Chins

I feel like a lot of decent work can be done. I do however have KBs and DBs so I’ll use those.

1 Like

I definitely won’t be doing these - weighing 280 puts these out of reach.

1 Like

One could get in quite a few exercises with TRX or an off brand version for not much money. Rumor has it my state will lock down this week. I just bought an adjustable bench, a couple bands and weight holders for my rack. Would like some horse mats, a better stereo and an electric space heater with a timer (it is really cold in my basement).

Bought some of these from Tractor Supply Company to put under my kids swingset outside. Not too expensive.

The thing I like about the EXF compared to other rings and the TRX set-ups I’ve experienced is the anchor design. If your TRX stays in one place this doesn’t matter at all of course but I bring my rings with me. To the gym. Outdoors sometime. Having it easily attached, especially when the thing you are attaching it to is a bit out of reach is a boon. For me.

1 Like

My issue is transporting them to my house. They are a bit unwieldly for a economy car. I could get one at a time I suppose. I have seen 4X6’ and 3/4" thick mats for a bit under $50. I put three in my cart at Tractor Supply, but shipping was $250, so that is a no go.

1 Like

Home Depot or Menards will rent you a pickup truck for $20 for 75 minutes

That is true. I’ll check and see if they perhaps even sell the horse mats.

Nov 21

Bike ride towing the 4 and 2 year olds (70+ lbs plus the trailer weight)

Will post this here as I don’t think it belongs anywhere else.
My current passion project I work on as a volunteer.

@aldebaran
Saw in the other thread you tried project colossus from John Meadows. Did you enjoy it? It looks to be up my ally for the kind of lifting I respond best to.
I have never paid for a program before - is it worth it?

1 Like

Yeah, it was a blast, and I had excellent results despite eating shit, poor sleep, lots of alcohol and more. Craziest pumps ever also. A bit more volume than the later things you did, but it’s still quite fast and hard!

You could try watching one of Meadows video “create your own push workout”, design one day and do it. If you’ll enjoy that you’ll enjoy even more Colossus (less volume, more crazy and intense)

I didn’t regret buying at all, on the contrary. Very thoroughly explained and guiding. Plus I got it during last year’s black friday at half-price (yeah I was patient considering I did it in around june? lol)

If you’re bored, check out some posts of my log I started Colossus at post 390. I didn’t delete a few sessions like the one on post 490, june 27

1 Like

Still working out at home.

Missed a few log days

Dec 6
28 minutes yoga

1st day back at the gym in 2 months or so. COVID is still crazy in Florida, but my county (>600k residents) has an infection rate of less than 1% over the course of the past year.
Going back to DC training I was doing before. Skipped the landmine deadlifts today due to both fatigue and lower back pain (I need a new mattress). Strength definitely faded quickly from previous numbers. Hoping it comes back soon.

1/18
Push Day

Decline Dbell Press: 1x70-12, 2x80-9,8

Machine Flyes: 1x120-15, 1x140-10, 1x140-11 & partials
Superset with push-ups: 1x11, 1x10, 1x8

Hammer strength incline press: 2x165-10,8 and 1x134-11 & 10 sec iso hold

Dbell lateral raises 3x25-10, 8, 8

Dips: 2xBW-12,10

Tricep Pushdowns: 3x130-13, 11, 130-50 drop set

1/20
Pull day

Cable Pulldown 1x120-10, 2x140-8, 8 drop set

Hammer strength low row: 1x170-12, 2x220-9,

Neutral Grip Assisted Chins 3x80-5, 4, 4

Dumbbell Pullovers 3x60-14, 12, 10

Rope Hammer curls 3x90-11, 11, 10 & drop set to 30

Cable Easy bar Curls 3x70-10, 9, 10

Minimal rest between sets usually about 45 seconds.