Conventional DL to Build Sumo?

Functional Isometrics

Josh Bryant is one of the smarter Strength Coaches, as is Poliquin.

As your described above, place a pin low in the Power Rack for the bar to sit on. Then place a pin a few inches above the low pin in the Power Rack.

Load the bar. Then pull the loaded bar into the pin and hold it. That is a “Functional Isometric”.

Each set, progressively increase that bar weight and pull it into the top pin.

Sticking Point Position

The sticking point where the bar stop moving isn’t the real sticking point.

Car Analogy

When you run out of gas in your car, where car end up stopping isn’t where you ran out of gas. That because the momentum of the car take it farther down the road before it come to a complete stop.

Essentially, the same is true with a lifter sticking point. Thus, you need to position the bottom pin a little below you sticking point, where bar stop moving.

With that said, the most effective method of training your sticking point is to work it a little below, right at where it stop and a little above.

Reps Before That Last One

Reps before the last one are a warm up. Do whatever get you there.

Obliterate Your Sticking Point

This is a great article by Josh on Isometric Training.

One of the interesting parts pertains the program you wrote…

“Isometric/CAT Contrast Method”

As per Bryant, “…you combine isometrics with dynamic or explosive work”, which you are doing.

Hollie Evette

Evette was a National Powerlifting Champion and is a Strength Coach. Evette introduced me to Functional Isometric years ago.

I continue to integrate Functional Isometric and Isomeetrics into my training program at various time. They are an effective tool for overcoming your sticking point.

In performing Isometric Deadlift Training, it helped me overcome my sticking point just below my knees. My new sticking point then move to just above my knees.

Here are a good article on Functional Training…

Continuum Training

Thibadeau (as are Bryant and Poliquin) is a very creative and progressive Strength Coach. .

The Ultimate Strength Exercise
Isotonic-Isometric Contraction, part II

This is a good article by Bill Starr. Since the 1960’s, Starr was an advocate of Isometric and Functional Training.

Bill Starr was one of the best Strength Coaches that lived (he passed away a few years ago).

Kenny Croxdale

1 Like