Consumer Reports: Protein is More Expensive and may Contain High Levels of Heavy Metals

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Anyway, how would the suit be won? Does the article state that these products violate the law?
…[/quote]

No but the products do violate the law. Under prop 65, I’ve checked and safe/allowed level for the heavy metals in question are as follows:

Arsenic: NSRL: 10 micrograms per day (the prop 65 limit). The average arsenic level in Muscle Milk was 12.2 micrograms (Chocolate) and 11.2 for (Vanilla Crème).

Cadmium: NSRL: 4.1 micrograms per day (the prop 65 limit). The average cadmium level in Muscle Milk was 5.6 micrograms (Chocolate).

Lead: MADL: .5 micrograms per day. The average lead level in Muscle Milk was 13.5 micrograms (Chocolate) and 12.2 for (Vanilla Crème).

Mercury The article does not give a value

So the way it works is that if a company is in violation they potentially have to pay up to $2,500 per instance of violation per day. So theoretically if a company has sales of 10,000,000 infringing canisters of protein then the damages would be 10 million units X the daily servings per unit (say 32) X a dollar amount up to $2,500. So in this example, if the maximum fine is assessed, then cytosport would have to pay damages of $800 Billion.

So I’m fairly certain they would not be assessed a fine that high and the damages are only on sales after they know/knew the items sold were in violation of the law.

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/pdf/2009FebruaryStat.pdf
http://www.meltingmama.net/wls/2010/05/consumer-reports-investigation-tests-reveal-contaminants-in-many-protein-drinks-.html

Yes, that’s right, I’d forgotten… California has its own standards on this.

Yes, that’s right, I’d forgotten… California has its own standards on this.[/quote]

Oh yeah, that’s right, I’d forgotten… There are people outside of California! Those crappy CA consumer protection laws might be good for something after all if we can get a class action suit out of this!

http://www.meltingmama.net/wls/2010/06/consumer-reports-investigates-whats-in-your-protein-drink.html

…As personal opinion I can only conclude that they decided that since a single serving did not contain amounts violating law or regulations that therefore they could sell it. But that is opinion, not absolute fact.[/quote]

I believe that’s what the article said about why these products are still legal.

And thanks Wylie for posting the image!

[quote]TisDrew wrote:

…As personal opinion I can only conclude that they decided that since a single serving did not contain amounts violating law or regulations that therefore they could sell it. But that is opinion, not absolute fact.[/quote]

I believe that’s what the article said about why these products are still legal.

And thanks Wylie for posting the image![/quote]

I’m pretty sure that under prop 65, it’s whatever is recommended per day, and on my tub of Muscle Milk that’s sitting right here, it says for best results consume 4 to 5 scoops daily.

Whats the worst that can happen from taking in too much mercury and lead for several years?
Dementia? Retarded kids? Big deal.

[quote]thruxton45 wrote:
sounds like you want your “clean” protein on the cheap. not one mention of raw, grass-fed, or organic? if you are broke, do not watch Food Inc or you’ll have to kill yourself.[/quote]

I have this movie sitting on my dress ATM, a co-worker let me borrow it and said I should see it. Now, mind you I’m broke so I afford what I can (don’t buy junk, yet I know quality wise the meats I get @ times aren’t the best!!). Now I feel like just returning it and saying “Yeach I watched it, it was pretty f’d up”. :slight_smile: haha/hijack

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
Well Was Metabolic Drive on there? Cause thats my powder of choice and I don’t thinks it’s been leading me to death lol[/quote]

All Biotest supplements are tested for heavy metals, so you’re safe with Metabolic Drive.

I would be weary of “cheap,” bulk proteins as these are often sourced from China and have been shown to be contaminated.[/quote]

Meanwhile at the Chinese protein factory. . . .

Jia Ji on the phone to his friend the manager at the toxic waste dump: “Hi, Wie.”

Wei: “Hi, Nee how, Jia, what is new my friend? How is work?”

Jia: “Wei, I have a problem, I must get the price lower on my protiens powder.”

Wei Lui: “Shhuu, things are tough all over. I got all this toxic waste I am supposed to get rid of. I don’t know what to do.”

Jia Ji (after a pause): “WAIT A SECOND! I just got a great idea!!!”

[quote].jond wrote:
Whats the worst that can happen from taking in too much mercury and lead for several years?

[/quote]
I think one of the symptoms is appathy.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:

[quote]TisDrew wrote:

And thanks Wylie for posting the image![/quote]

I’m pretty sure that under prop 65, it’s whatever is recommended per day, and on my tub of Muscle Milk that’s sitting right here, it says for best results consume 4 to 5 scoops daily.[/quote]

Right, says that on my MM too. But, if you look at the tests, it’s 6 scoops (3 servings) per day to get to the level needed to be considered too much. I only use 2-4 scoops of protein powder a day (MM and MD) so I am not going to worry about it.

How much is everyone that is freaking out using?

[quote]dude-dilly squat wrote:

[quote].jond wrote:

[/quote]
I think one of the symptoms is appathy.[/quote]

I might of hurd that to but I cant remember.

http://media.nbcwashington.com/documents/PROTEIN+DRINKS+JULY+'10.pdf

Anyone read the article?

Wow, this athletic trainer and nutritionist says “the body can only absorb 5-9 g/protein per hour” LULZ any more and you’ll gain fat.
Oh, and it says that excess protein damages kidneys, wow

Is there any website where I can get information on lead, mercury and cadium in other brands/flavors of protein powders? Anybody know of any protein powder that isn’t contaminated?

[quote]TONY376 wrote:
Anybody know of any protein powder that isn’t contaminated?[/quote]

[quote]TONY376 wrote:
Is there any website where I can get information on lead, mercury and cadium in other brands/flavors of protein powders? Anybody know of any protein powder that isn’t contaminated?[/quote]

Metabolic Drive, as stated previously.

Looks like EAS and Cytosport have both issued statements on their websites.

[quote]DMobley1022 wrote:
Looks like EAS and Cytosport have both issued statements on their websites.[/quote]

I wasn’t too impressed with Cytosport’s response.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]DMobley1022 wrote:
Looks like EAS and Cytosport have both issued statements on their websites.[/quote]

I wasn’t too impressed with Cytosport’s response.[/quote]

What was up with that responsible use BS? Also, I have a muscle milk protein powder (not, the one in the study, a cheaper costco one) and it recommends 4-5 serving per day. Fuckin’ marks; they know their shit is contaminated…

[quote].jond wrote:

[/quote]
Yeah, that’s what YOUR parents said! LMAO