Best Triceps Lift for Size?

Close grip pin presses
DB PJRs

For size

Warm up with rope push downs or ovh extensions to exhaust

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
I can tell you what NOT to do…do not thow the shot and do heavy ass jerks from the rack for 20 years…or this might happen:

[photo]21988[/photo][/quote]

Shit, is that a torn tricep?

yep. complete avulsion of the triceps from the tendon and a tendon rupture as well.

I’ll chime in here and post what I do/did.

When I trained tris once a week it generally was:

-CGBP: 4-5 sets of 6-8
-French Presses with custom DB handle ( those you can fit OLY plates into, allowed a better grip than an EZ-Bar )3 working sets of 10-12
-EZ-Bar pullover extension, 3 working sets of 10-12

• Pushdowns with various grips, or some other horizontal extension.

Training tris more than once a week:

Tris 1

• CGBP out of pins ( aka heavy lockout work from a deadstop )
  • Floor/Dead Skullcrusher
  • Pushdowns

Tris 2

• Pressing with focus on the medial head, decline CGBP, reverse bench, whatever.
  • PJR Pullover
  • French Press/Skullcrusher hybrid

Also, these are very similar to the French Press/Skullcrusher I just mentioned. Another good way to picture what I’m talking about is imagining a skullcrusher/ez-bar extension on an incline bench, allowing the bar to go down behind your head. Murder on the elbows if done heavy, I do those last and for higher reps.

If you have access to the body masters overhead triceps extension machine, seen here:

I highly recommend it. I can’t do skull crushers because it hurts my elbow, but I can do these pain free. I love this thing.

I do pjr pullover with an ezbar. Seems much more natural than with a dumbell.

For those who workout at home,
are Close-Grip PushUps (with a weighted vest) a decent exercise for Tri’s ?

Yes, but there’s only so much load you can add. One-arm variations are good too.

They’re not really bodybuilding exercises, but get the job done in a pinch.

For size cgbp and skull crushers and single arm cable extension seem to work for me…if i had to pick one CGBP

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Close grip pin presses
[/quote]
This^^

When I was playing football I followed BP with Close grip pin presses, then weighted dips, DB incline, Tate Press, Tri ext, pushups, manual tris. Then go curl up in a corner. Now I just do DB’s for everything cause I dont need to bench like I used to

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Ok so I am wanting to narrow down what in all of your opinions is the single best tricep move for size. Including rep range, tempo and weight percentage. Let’s focus on the whole tricep and not the upper and lower. So basically what would be the one lift you would do if you had to only pic one. [/quote]

Scull crushers, 12-6, 3-0-2-1 (good squeeze at the top), 65-80% of 1rm. My tendons hurt though, but this has given me the best results in terms of overall size.

Was training chest/tris tonight, at 745 was told gym shut at 8, still had tris to do…so did super 8’s, cant remember where he showed them but John Meadows showed them in a video…8 giant sets, 8reps press downs, 8 reps bench dips, 8 rep kick backs. Would nt use them all the time, but good for a shock and if you are very short of time.

JM press as part of bench rotation and scott triceps extensions.

Also for me, rope pressdowns -simply as I can go very heavy and/or do a boatload of volume without pissing off my elbows too much