Best Rock Guitarist Ever?

Yeah man without a doubt it was the best show I have ever had the fortune of seeing and I have been to a lot of shows. The greatest thing about this show and the type of crowd that DEP attracts is that there are none of those “hardcore” dance kids that I want to just knock the fuck out.

All Shall Perish is sick I think I may have seen them back in the day at Sounds of the Underground tour along with Gwar which was probably the strangest performance I have ever seen. The Gwar crowd is like the equivalent to metal Trekkies or the metal version of star wars super fans.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
If you hate DT (probably due to the singer?), check out Liquid Tension Experiment. all instrumental.[/quote]

Nah what gets me about Dream Theatre is that they’re essentially a Rush rip-off that could never get it right. Technical for the sake of being technical, with no cohesion whatsoever between members - it’s like a band of soloists. Insanely good drummer, bassist, and guitarist…but the combined together it just doesn’t work IMO.

Now a band that was “heavily inspired” by Rush that DID get it right was Porcupine Tree

Best post ever. I have always thought that DT was less than the sum of it’s parts by far.[/quote]

I think that sounds more like a Rush rip off then Dream Theatre.

old skool? Duane Allman who died at 24 with a resume that was incredible. some of the people he played with included the Grateful Dead, Clapton, Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett, John Hammond Jr., Herbie Mann, and King Curtis. Duane was featured on releases by a number of artists, including Clarence Carter, Otis Rush, Percy Sledge, Johnny Jenkins, Boz Scaggs, Eric Quincy Tate, Lulu, Ronnie Hawkins, Doris Duke, Sam Samudio, Cowboy, Arthur Conley and Delaney & Bonnie and Friends. also had a little band with his bro. was tighter live than some players studio work.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
OP needs to change the title of the thread to “Best Rock Technician/Songwriter Ever”.

You can’t talk about “Greatest Rock Guitarist Ever” and dismiss Hendrix and Page because “they’re not technical enough” but at the same time hail “Slash” as some kind of great songwriter (not) and technician (not).

You can’t dismiss time period and context. 40 years ago Hendrix was decades ahead of his time. Some could argue he still is. Jeff Loomis? Really?

I can’t take this ‘challenge’ seriously.

I’m normally all over the guitar threads, but this retarded guitar thread is retarded.

Pic semi-related.[/quote]
That pic is amazing!
I never hailed Slash as a great songwriter or technician, I thought I was setting that example as kind of a minimum. I grew up listening to Hendrix, but to some extent he’s kinda like the Mona Lisa. At the time it was ground breaking because of the way it was shaded and such, but when you see it in person you’re like, “huh?” (at least I was)
Hendrix was a trail blazer in terms of his live show and did was crazy inventive with his production in the studio. He was soulful and full of feeling, but honestly a pretty sloppy player. I know some will see this as unholy. Page was pretty sloppy too, but I see him above Hendrix in that he had a whole other side to his playing, the folk thing going on. He played amazing stuff on acoustic in brilliant tunings.
Petrucci has a tone of soul, and is obviously uber talented, but are the songs really “catchy”? Maybe it’s just the vocalist distracting me.
Did I mention the pic is amazing?

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

[quote]strangemeadow wrote:
The point of this thread was not just shredding or technical awesomeness, like Petrucci. Jeff Loomis would hand Petrucci his ass, as would BucketHead if you could sit through all the bullshit.
The blues guys, Clapton and Hendrix, even Pagey, wrote great songs, but their level of ability was pretty low. Not a diss, just reality.
Alex Lifeson gets a huge vote from me. Great songwriter and pretty good technical skills with great style.[/quote]
Except you clearly haven’t listened to a damn thing, considering how melodic and soulful Petrucci is.
It seems a lot of people suddenly think that if you have ‘technicality’, that the solo is immediately without emotion or feeling.
I’m sorry, but holding a note and playing slow does not necessarily equate to emotional playing. You can have a fast riff or lick that builds up tension.

As for Jeff Loomis and Buckethead, nothing especially out of the ordinary. Just some sweeps and fast picking. I don’t see anything especially fast or technical with those two. I’m sure Vai, Malmsteen, Batio, Petrucci, Gilbert, Vinnie Moore and co could all play each other’s stuff. Same goes for Loomis.
Just because Petrucci actually writes music that changes and is varied, and isn’t nothing but 5 minutes of sweeping (like Loomis) doesn’t mean he isn’t technical. Just different kind of music. That being said, I don’t find Loomis particularly interesting, musically. He’s like a crappy version of Cacophony (Marty Friedman and Jason Becker).

[/quote]
Have you listened to Loomis’s Zero Order Phase release? He’s def not a crappy Cacophony cover deal. Not one bit.

current players? Jeff Waters can hold his own with any player out there. writes, produces, and plays guitar, bass, and drums.

his tribute to AC/DC. for the Angus Young haters

^^^ Waters is pretty badass.
Gary Holt from Exodus is solid on Exhibit B…

[quote]silverblood wrote:

his tribute to AC/DC. for the Angus Young haters

[/quote]

BAM!

Have you listened to Loomis’s Zero Order Phase release? He’s def not a crappy Cacophony cover deal. Not one bit.
[/quote]

Yes, I did.

Don’t get me wrong; he’s a very good player, and his music is good, but he’s not anything new or particularly spectacular.

Petrucci has a tone of soul, and is obviously uber talented, but are the songs really “catchy”? Maybe it’s just the vocalist distracting me.

[/quote]

Cover of DT song solo: Dream Theater - Breaking All Illusions (Solo) HD + PRESET GUITAR RIG 4 - YouTube

Cover of DT song solo: Dream Theater Scarred Solo and more - 'Awake' Practice 1 - Thiago Campos - YouTube

at 5minutes 21

Steely D that pic IS fucking awesome, how do I copy and paste it into my buddies facebood page?

Ok, We who have been well bread and brought up right will acknowledge that Hendrix, Clapton and Page are the

top of the cream…but two are still missing even after Petrucci was mentioned.

How on earth could Alan Holdsworth and Steve Vai not make this thread so far…

I recognize that Vai loves to shred ala Eddie and Slash but at the same time can tone it down for my 70 year

MOTHER to enjoy…and Holdsworth, FUCK ! 'nough said start the flaming…

[quote]silverblood wrote:
old skool? Duane Allman [/quote]

FUCK, i forgot one of my favorite bands. Dicky Betts is also the man.

People need to understand that music is 100% subjective, just cause you shred doesnt mean people like what youre shredding.

earning a bachelors degree in classical guiatar - music performance

no one mentioned this guy

Satriani also gave lessons to Via, Hammett and Larry LaLonde (Primus)
I think Hammett should have taken a few more…

No shout out to Ralph Machio?

or this guy?

Man, yinz guys are beat.

Has anyone posted a pic of lil wayne with a guitar yet?

Here’s a couple of guitarist I like to listen to (not necessarily the best (whatever that means))
Dann Huff:

Paul Gilbert:

Brian May:

Mick Ronson:

Vivian Campbell:

And finally every guitarist from the 80’s:

Yngwie Malmsteen.

And currently? TOSIN ABASI from Animals as leaders.

Larry LaLonde (Primus)
[/quote]

Very, very underrated guitarist IMO…Ler is awesome!!

Always liked Adam Jones from TOOL as well…

It’s hard to tell where Nigel Tufnell ends and the guitar begins: