Becoming a Club Doorman/Bouncer

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
I worked as a bouncer every friday and saturday night at a posh bar/restraunt, and aside from standing on my feet for 5 hours, it was a great job!

This is England guys, bouncers are not expected to clean up shit, do not need to fear guns (in most locations), get paid better than the bar staff, are reasonable respected, and can look cool as fuck.

I used to wear a black suit and shirt, stand next to the other ‘bouncer’ who also happened to be a male catwalk model believe it or not, and spend a fair part of my evening in stimulating conversation with him about various topics from fashion, to business, to steroids, to women, to drugs, to fighting, etc, etc, etc. I could also get my fill of checking out ladies in their finest skimpy attire, without having to stand in a bar and reek of cigarette smoke.

We NEVER had to fight. Like someone above mentioned, I made it my job to be polite and respectful. But make no mistake, if my boss told me to remove you, then removed you would be. However the gentle art of conversation (not to mention that the punters did not want their expensive clothes damaged) always did the job. If my collegue bouncer made the call that so-and-so was not getting in, then he was NOT getting in. I’m like that.

I considered that since I was basically judging everyone on appearance (something I never like to do normally), I had to ‘atone’
by being uber-respectful, but without being a pussy about it of course.

Hell, I once threw 2 coke-heads out, and at the outside of the door they turned to me and said “Thanks man. You have thrown us out with more grace and style than anyone else ever has.”

That, to me, is what ‘bouncing’ should be about. If you’re fighting, you’ve already ‘lost’ in a way.

Bushy[/quote]

If you are fighting you are already lost?!?
You got that experience by bouncing at the kindegarten.
When I bounced at some places in Croatia,we had to fight against groups of football hooligans armed with bottles and bats,against skinheads or we had to deal with war veterans withh PTSP who carried hand grenades or guns(this is no lie).

When I started working in Spain,I asked where are the baseball bats,cause in Croatia disco bouncers keep baseball bats nearby.My new colleagues(2 Argentinian guys and a Moroccian) looked at me puzzled.

THhey didnt carry any weapons on themselves,but I always had tear-gas spray,boxer and pocket knife of high quality.
In Croatia someone of the bouncers always hhad guns.

I remember I place I worked where majority of guests were Gypsis.3 of us bouncers hhad all kind of problems all the time.

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
where i go out the bouncers are a bunch of morbidly obese bald men who try to intimidate you unto giving them money, but when the shit hits the fan they don’t do anything. also i recall several incidents where they try to keep crazy blacks and moroccans out which all violently derailed.

so erm, when you are gonna be a bouncer make sure you aren’t a fat incompetent retarded prick[/quote]

Nederlands?

BALBO wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
I worked as a bouncer every friday and saturday night at a posh bar/restraunt, and aside from standing on my feet for 5 hours, it was a great job!

This is England guys, bouncers are not expected to clean up shit, do not need to fear guns (in most locations), get paid better than the bar staff, are reasonable respected, and can look cool as fuck.

I used to wear a black suit and shirt, stand next to the other ‘bouncer’ who also happened to be a male catwalk model believe it or not, and spend a fair part of my evening in stimulating conversation with him about various topics from fashion, to business, to steroids, to women, to drugs, to fighting, etc, etc, etc. I could also get my fill of checking out ladies in their finest skimpy attire, without having to stand in a bar and reek of cigarette smoke.

We NEVER had to fight. Like someone above mentioned, I made it my job to be polite and respectful. But make no mistake, if my boss told me to remove you, then removed you would be. However the gentle art of conversation (not to mention that the punters did not want their expensive clothes damaged) always did the job. If my collegue bouncer made the call that so-and-so was not getting in, then he was NOT getting in. I’m like that.

I considered that since I was basically judging everyone on appearance (something I never like to do normally), I had to ‘atone’

Hell, I once threw 2 coke-heads out, and at the outside of the door they turned to me and said “Thanks man. You have thrown us out with more grace and style than anyone else ever has.”

That, to me, is what ‘bouncing’ should be about. If you’re fighting, you’ve already ‘lost’ in a way.

Bushy

When I bounced at some places in Croatia,we had to fight against groups of football hooligans armed with bottles and bats,against skinheads or we had to deal with war veterans withh PTSP who carried hand grenades or guns(this is no lie).

When I started working in Spain,I asked where are the baseball bats,cause in Croatia disco bouncers keep baseball bats nearby.My new colleagues(2 Argentinian guys and a Moroccian) looked at me puzzled.

THhey didnt carry any weapons on themselves,but I always had tear-gas spray,boxer and pocket knife of high quality.

I remember I place I worked where majority of guests were Gypsis.3 of us bouncers hhad all kind of problems all the time.

I never claimed that I was ‘hard’ for working the door that I did.

Personally, I like my teeth, face and other bodily parts in the order that they are now. They’re not much but I call them home. I’d certainly not risk fucking them up for no higher purpose than low pay.

If you, BALBO, want to work in pikey shitholes, be my guest.

Maybe you have no other choices open to you in life, in which case fair enough, but I suspect (know) that you enjoy violence for violences’ sake.

To me, that is pretty sad, and I distance myself from the type of bouncer you represent.

I myself am a ‘doorman’. A diplomat and a shepherd if you will, not a paid thug.

Bushy[/quote]

Bushy and some of the other posters here are quite right. It's a great job or a bad job, depending on where you work, and how you carry yourself.

I started bouncing at the top nightclub in town after getting out of the military. It was the greatest and most fun job I've ever had my whole life. Of course it didn't pay the most, but when your 18 or whatnot, you most likely aren't going to make a whole hell of a lot of money anyway.

It's you being dressed to the nines' and being a polite and charming security person to provide protection to other patrons when it is needed. That can be through diplomatic means,(good communication skills), or it can be the "through the door" method. Most of the time there is a fight infrequently, but more often on weekends. Depending on the crowd on any particular night, things can get chaotic yes. But you along with 3-6 other bouncers are supposed to be paying close attention to every patron in there and you can see them as the night goes on. 

Some party away with no problems, and then of course there are those who can’t handle their liquor and tend to initiate trouble. I remember handling many guys in the fashion bushy explained, very nicely and w/out problems, and then there were outrageous bar fights as well. This can and does include some wild women at times, and believe me, they may need physical restraint as well as the rough boys.

All in all, there are many great things about it.

Networking like Bushy said, you meet all kinds of people from all walks of life, many wanting to help you or put in a good word for you after they experience your professionalism and courtesy. Hell, I almost made it onto a cable channel after doing a Samoan Slap Dance with a couple big Samoan boys and another Howli…From bouncing I had become so popular with the crowd that I was doing all kinds of other things too.

And women from here to kalamazoo man. Those women, lingerie models, beautiful classy women, all kinds..It was a great experience. There were so many situations I could spend hours going over them..Busting the VP of another chain in Hawaii who happened to be partying at our club, for doing blow in the stall...ha,ha..too many things..

Anyway, enough rambling on, take the job and you will have a great time. Just remember though, when the shit goes down, your coworkers have to be able to count on you to back them up.

ToneBone

BALBO wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

Bushy

I never claimed that I was ‘hard’ for working the door that I did.

Personally, I like my teeth, face and other bodily parts in the order that they are now. They’re not much but I call them home. I’d certainly not risk fucking them up for no higher purpose than low pay.

If you, BALBO, want to work in pikey shitholes, be my guest.

Maybe you have no other choices open to you in life, in which case fair enough, but I suspect (know) that you enjoy violence for violences’ sake.

To me, that is pretty sad, and I distance myself from the type of bouncer you represent.

I myself am a ‘doorman’. A diplomat and a shepherd if you will, not a paid thug.

Bushy[/quote]

I dont work in shit-holes.I worked at big discos,at bars,concerts,pubs,night clubs,whore house,etc.
I got usually paid 50-100 euros per night and that is normal pay in my profession in Croatia nad Spain.
I also get some tips ocassionally.
Yes,I enjoy violence.Thats me.My boss,girls in the bar and my colleagues-bouncers feel safe in my company and apreciate my work.
Although I possess some street smarts and have sorted out some explosive situations with words,I am just not the diplomat type.I let my colleauges try with words.
I can spot the problematic asshole from a mile and choose to handle them withh heavy hand aproach.
Whhen you sort thhe problematic assholes out,you ave no problem.
When guests want to fight each other,I just tell them to fight outside.
When I confront the troublemaker,I just look them in the eyes and ask-Do you want it nice or rough?-Usually they choose to do it nice and behave themselves.
I am not saying that I am righteous or good person,but I do my job.
I never bottled out and left my fellow bouncers in a fight.Biggest problems with a lot of bouncers is that they do their job very good and then some heavy shit happens and they freeze.
I have never done that.I would rather die.Broken bones can heal,but if you run away you are coward forever.
Also I never ever drink or use drugs when I work,althhough I drink a lot in my free time.

[quote]BALBO wrote:
Do you want it nice or rough?[/quote]

Do you say this prior to penis insertion? :wink:

[quote]Chewie wrote:
BALBO wrote:
Do you want it nice or rough?

Do you say this prior to penis insertion? :wink:

[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha!!!
Hhhmmm…no.I usually do it rough.

A good friend was bouncing in a bar in Kansas. He had just graduated from Kansas State, was an honerable mention all big 8 basketball player, was 6’8 240 chisled. He was trying to break up a fight between some bikers and some locals, and some biker bitch comes in and stabs him in the back, under the arm, piercing his heart. Killed him.
Not to harsh anybodies day, just don’t turn your back on anybody, even bitches.

Friend of mine’s been a bouncer for a few years in suburban SoCal. He’s 6’4, 300 some odd pounds, half black/half Samoan ex-football player. Not the sort of guy you want to step to, but he still has to break up fights, throw (and I do mean THROW) people out and occasionally get physical with depressing regularity.

On the other hand, he enjoys it, makes decent money and gets lots of pussy despite looking like Frankenstein. So, you know. There’s pros and cons.

It’s not a hard job to get, and most of the bouncers are not really that “big and bad.” In fact, you find alot more fatmen, than anything else, if you are as big as you say, you can easily get the job, however, do you want it? That has yet to be seen. Good luck

[quote]40&Big wrote:
A good friend was bouncing in a bar in Kansas. He had just graduated from Kansas State, was an honerable mention all big 8 basketball player, was 6’8 240 chisled. He was trying to break up a fight between some bikers and some locals, and some biker bitch comes in and stabs him in the back, under the arm, piercing his heart. Killed him.
Not to harsh anybodies day, just don’t turn your back on anybody, even bitches.[/quote]

Its kill or be killed sometimes.

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
Friend of mine’s been a bouncer for a few years in suburban SoCal. He’s 6’4, 300 some odd pounds, half black/half Samoan ex-football player. Not the sort of guy you want to step to, but he still has to break up fights, throw (and I do mean THROW) people out and occasionally get physical with depressing regularity.

On the other hand, he enjoys it, makes decent money and gets lots of pussy despite looking like Frankenstein. So, you know. There’s pros and cons.[/quote]

Yeah,but what about the wheels?

[quote]2lb Monkey wrote:
Well, I’m currently at University, 18, and 211 lbs. I’m thinking of becoming a bouncer in aobut a years time (I plan to bulk up to about 220-230), as its much better than the part time job I currently have in retail.

Any advice. I may seem too young to be given a job, so I would like input from others on this site, as I guess there must be at least one bouncer/doorman here (they are true t-men, so figures…).

I live in England, so are there any kind of lisences I need, I believe you need a lisence but where can I get one. Where can I get a link for the test (to book a test, I’m guessing its not online, lol). Would it be better to try when I’m older, as I don;t know whats the aminimum ages of becoming a doorman (is it 18 in England or it is more likely for club/bar managers to employ people 21 or over).

Thanks for any input.

Monkey.[/quote]

I recently got a job as a bouncer at a bar close to the college I attend and its not as glamorous as you think it is. I haven’t had any major incidents yet and usually just walk drunk people outside, but I’ve heard some horror stories. If you’re serious about it, I’d recommend learning some submission moves(wrist locks, arm bars, etc).

Bushy[/quote]

Hahaha, I agree with most of what you’re writing, but “a diplomat and a shepherd”?! Come on man.

[quote]2lb Monkey wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Watch Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze.

Seen it lol.

I don’t want the bouncer lifestyle for the fighting, which I know anyway is about 0.5% of the job. I want it because its better than a job in retail, and that I would meet some interesting people. and would be fun I’m based in Cambridge, so its not exactly the ghetto, and I’ve never seen a fight break out in any of the clubs here yet. The hours would fit pretty well into my schedule too.
[/quote]

I work weekends as a bouncer in Cambridge, have been for about a year, PM me for more info. I’m guessing you go to student nights during the week, there are more fights and more idiots on weekends, but still nothing like say Leeds, from what I hear.

The bigger companies here will pay for your course and let you gradually pay em back for the license, and most are looking for people, since the SIA badges came in it’s changed the workforce a bit.

It’s not a bad job, money’s decent, much better than bartending in the UK in my experience, get the occasional scrap, meet tons of women, although most of them aren’t girlfriend material. You just have to not mind verbal abuse from dickheads, because of the Orwellian cameras in your country you can’t get away with much. If you can handle people’s BS it’s a solid part-time job.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

Just imagine telling the guy in my avatar he’s had enough and he has to go home now. [/quote]

There are several ways to deal with that. One is to talk to his sober friends and tell them “hey your buddy is getting out of hand, I would appreciate it if you guys would get him out of here for me. If you do you all will be welcome to come back next week.”

Another thing I might do is grab the bar tender and tell him, “you see that drunken slob you armed with a vodka bottle? Go take it away from him so I can get him out of here.”

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
2lb Monkey wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Watch Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze.

Seen it lol.

I don’t want the bouncer lifestyle for the fighting, which I know anyway is about 0.5% of the job. I want it because its better than a job in retail, and that I would meet some interesting people. and would be fun I’m based in Cambridge, so its not exactly the ghetto, and I’ve never seen a fight break out in any of the clubs here yet. The hours would fit pretty well into my schedule too.

I work weekends as a bouncer in Cambridge, have been for about a year, PM me for more info. I’m guessing you go to student nights during the week, there are more fights and more idiots on weekends, but still nothing like say Leeds, from what I hear.

The bigger companies here will pay for your course and let you gradually pay em back for the license, and most are looking for people, since the SIA badges came in it’s changed the workforce a bit.

It’s not a bad job, money’s decent, much better than bartending in the UK in my experience, get the occasional scrap, meet tons of women, although most of them aren’t girlfriend material. You just have to not mind verbal abuse from dickheads, because of the Orwellian cameras in your country you can’t get away with much. If you can handle people’s BS it’s a solid part-time job.[/quote]

Yeah, I go out to te student nights in the week. It never seems busy. The worst being what a friend told me, where his friend was chatted up by some guy, who got agressive and threatening. Which ended in security taking a few people away, but I wasnt there. I have been out a few times at the weekend, but expect it to be worse (more likely for fights) then.

I’ve PM’d you, any advice/guidance of the best places for me to start looking at would be great.

I hope your prepared for what your getting yourself into. The many scorful remarks,the aggressive behavior of drunkards and whores,…the title you automatically receive as in “Jerk,Asshole,DICK”…Have fun!

[quote]mr_slick wrote:
I hope your prepared for what your getting yourself into. The many scorful remarks,the aggressive behavior of drunkards and whores,…the title you automatically receive as in “Jerk,Asshole,DICK”…Have fun![/quote]

If somebody calles you that in your face,beat the hell out of them!
If they openly disrespect the bouncers,they will misbehave more badly late.Its better to deal with tat in time.

I’ve also thought about becoming a bouncer as a way to earn some extra cash once I leave university. I stumbled across this website that has some articles that might be of use to you.

The door supervisor series seem (to me anyway) to be a good read.

Best of luck.