Attn: Runners! Sneaker Recommendations?

[quote]GriffinC wrote:
Helped you do what? Jump higher? Absorb shock when landing from a high jump? Please explain what they did, so I can attack it ;)[/quote]

Looking back one single page is your friend :wink:

Right side do what the doctor says. Go to a REAL running shoe store. Let them watch you walk/run and tell them your plans. Let them pick out a few models. They’ll get closer to what you need than you will.

It’s not going to be cheap but you’ll get what you need.

I wear Mizuno wave 6’s. It’s almost a perfect shoe for me.

THere are some insoles that I use in my training shoes but I forgot waht company made them and what they are called. They are very very good, and you will feel the difference between wearing them for 30 mins and then putting on traditional shoes after that. If you really want to know about these insoles give me a PM and I’ll be sure to give you the answer because I have no idea how easy it’ll be to find this post again.

New Balance…I was in the Army for six years, and I swear the first pair I bought two years in changed my comfort level while running tremendously, I’ve used pretty much every other brand out there, but as an over-200lbs runner(barely) NB is great.

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
I would never dare put on a Nike Shox for anything involving running…

Who knows though… I’m just a triathlete ;-)[/quote]

Only 1/3 of your sport is spent in running shoes!

My wife runs in Shox but what would she know she’s just a marathoner.

I run in them too. Before that I couldn’t run due to bursitis and ITBS, I tried many shoes (NB, Brooks, Saucony, Asics, Addidas) before finally trying out the gimmickie shox and guess what! No pain in my knees for over two years!

[quote]Vegita wrote:
hoosierdaddy wrote:
jnessland wrote:
Anybody have recommendations for a good cross trainer type shoe? Something for lifting, agility, jumping, etc. yet you could still use for a distance run a few times a week? Thanks.

Such a shoe doesn’t exist, unfortunately. For lifting, esp squats and deads, you are going to want a flat soled shoe (like Chuck T’s, Wrestling Shoes, etc…) for agility type work you are going to want a cross trainer or tennis (as in the sport) shoe, which would however be to heavy for a distance running shoe. It just doesn’t seem plausible.

Exactly, the only possibility you could have here would be a trail running shoe like the Nike ACG, which is a great trail shoe. If you are doing really heavy squats though, the possibility exists of the cussioning in the shoe becoming “wobbly”? running a few times a week in anything other than a running shoe will really mess you up. your legs and back will get beaten.

V[/quote]

Well the reason you’re not supposed to squat in anything but flat soled shoes (even the ACG, sorry V :frowning: ) is because 99.9% of running shoes elevate the heel as if to mimick the body’s natural running position in the foot, which goes back to what V and I were saying, there is no such thing as an all purpose shoes. Yes, not even your crusty blue suede o-lifting shoes, Mr. Nation Writer who shall remain anonymous.

[quote]Snoop wrote:
TriGWU wrote:

Who knows though… I’m just a triathlete :wink:

I run in them too. Before that I couldn’t run due to bursitis and ITBS, I tried many shoes (NB, Brooks, Saucony, Asics, Addidas) before finally trying out the gimmickie shox and guess what! No pain in my knees for over two years! [/quote]

Yes, but keep this in mind, you are 180 lbs at 5’8, your wife is presumably much much smaller. I am willing to bet (although I could be wrong) that you both have narrow feet. Shox, in that case, might work well for you, but for larger people (like RSU) and a high percentage of long distance runners (which even you have to admit) SHOX are not the answer. I’m not bashing them, I’m just saying that they aren’t the preferred training shoe of any marathoners I know or tri-athletes I coach.

[quote]hoosierdaddy wrote:
Snoop wrote:
TriGWU wrote:

Who knows though… I’m just a triathlete :wink:

I run in them too. Before that I couldn’t run due to bursitis and ITBS, I tried many shoes (NB, Brooks, Saucony, Asics, Addidas) before finally trying out the gimmickie shox and guess what! No pain in my knees for over two years!

Yes, but keep this in mind, you are 180 lbs at 5’8, your wife is presumably much much smaller. I am willing to bet (although I could be wrong) that you both have narrow feet. Shox, in that case, might work well for you, but for larger people (like RSU) and a high percentage of long distance runners (which even you have to admit) SHOX are not the answer. I’m not bashing them, I’m just saying that they aren’t the preferred training shoe of any marathoners I know or tri-athletes I coach.

[/quote]

I never stated that they were the best shoes out there; I was merely pointing out that they aren’t garbage. My wife shouldn’t use shox they cause her hamstrings to tighten up but she insists on using them (women). For me, they are the best thing that I have found so far. Now that I know that the root cause of my bursitis was a tight iliotibial band and I know how to stretch it I can probably go to a different shoe.

Hey everyone – thanks again for everyone’s input.

I found a running store in the area and went by this afternoon. Turns out they were sponsoring a 5K and having a huge sale. The store was a total clusterfuck, but I found someone who knew her shit and she helped me out quite a bit.

She said I over-pronated slightly, but her advice was that since my mileage was going to be fairly short (3,4,5 miles, etc.), getting too crazy with shoe features wasn’t necessary. She said fairly simply that I select something that felt good on my feet and that I’d be comfortable running in. If my goals turned more toward greater distances (i.e., marathon training), I should come back in and spend the extra money.

So what did I end up with? Nike SHOX! Bold and bright black and red Shox Monsters for – get this – $50. Sticking to the sale section for today, I tried on Brooks, Adidas, and an Air Max, but the Shox felt the most comfortable and the price was right.

Sorry to disappoint the Shox-haters. I’ll stick to the running and pay very close attention to how I feel in the sneaker and give my own review in the future.

I also know I must dedicate more time to stretching and warming up the ankles prior to running…

Thanks again.

So, you’ve had a couple days with them, how’s it working out?

Personally, I wear the Brooks Beast or the NB 725’s, but that’s just me. I’m a stocky guy well over 180 lbs and I’ve found that the above listed shoes last longer than any others.

It’s a shame too, because I’m an adidas man through and through. I just wear them out too fast.

GAINER

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
So, you’ve had a couple days with them, how’s it working out?[/quote]

So far, so good. The weather’s been poor in SoFla the past few days, so we haven’t been on our run. We have one planned today, however.

Otherwise, the sneakers are comfortable and stable. We’ll see if the run is as cozy, however.

[quote]
Personally, I wear the Brooks Beast or the NB 725’s, but that’s just me.[/quote]
I tried on the Brooks Beast and thought they were comfortable, although fairly heavy. As I was trying them on, one of the resident experts walked by and said “That is the absolute last shoe I’d put you in. I’d only put you in that shoe if a Doctor said it was absolutely necessary.” He said the Beast is just that – a beast. He said its the heaviest, most stable shoe available, and that I probably didn’t have any condition warranting its purchase. He didn’t have a whole lot of time to spend with me (organizing the 5K), but based on his rather strong remarks, I put the Beast aside and continued rummaging.

[quote]Right Side Up wrote:
He said the Beast is just that – a beast. He said its the heaviest, most stable shoe available, and that I probably didn’t have any condition warranting its purchase. [/quote]

I agree, it’s a heavy shoe, but the stability and overall life of the shoe are why I keep going back for them.

This thread did spark me to look harder at my shoes and head out to the store. I ended up with a pair of NB 470’s and I like them so far… Time will tell.

Ran on the treadmill last evening and my legs felt fine. Granted, I’ve focused on warming up better, stretching and have been doing duck walks in the gym (good for a few strange stares), which I’m sure are a factor.

During the first 3-4 minutes of the run, each of my knees had some discomfort, but it kind of just worked itself out and I completed the run in comfort.

So far, so good.