Are You Overtraining?

All I know is that roofing is a better back workout than anything i’ve ever done in the gym.

[quote]Blink wrote:
All I know is that roofing is a better back workout than anything i’ve ever done in the gym. [/quote]

For all my DL’ing, GMing, GHR’s, and squatting, I still find shoveling heavy snow and gardening makes my back hurt most.

[quote]btm62 wrote:
Blink wrote:
All I know is that roofing is a better back workout than anything i’ve ever done in the gym.

For all my DL’ing, GMing, GHR’s, and squatting, I still find shoveling heavy snow and gardening makes my back hurt most.[/quote]

I was going to mention that I loaded and unloaded trucks for two years and I couldn’t gain any muscle and had shoulder soreness constantly-although after work I would eat 6 chocolate eclairs and drink a quart of whole milk and then fall asleep for 11 hours. And my training back then was Mike Mentzer’s Heavy Duty. In the following year I went to a higher volume approach, cleaned up my diet, got a started my teaching job and added 13 pounds of muscle and lost 14 pounds of fat in 6 months.

I think the argument about Overtraining vs. Under Recovery (under eating, under resting) is pointless because essentially, we are talking about the same things. Overtraining = Under Recovery.

The original post makes some very good points about the use of “overtraining” as an excuse to not go hard. During college summers, I worked manual, heavy lifting jobs. I would get home, take a nap, wake up for dinner, then train from 8-9:30 at night. I got great results that way. Of course, I was 18 at the time and had very little responsibility. At this point in my life, I find it very difficult to not hit snooze in the morning and put my training off until the following day. It’s much easier for me to get up at 5:30 in the morning in the warm months to get my training in. I need more recovery between late fall and early spring.

Case in point: during the holidays, I cut my training down to 2x a week (whole body). I gained size and strength (@ 5lbs in 2 months). About a month ago, I figured the holidays were over, so it was time I ramped up so I started a bout of EDT. I felt great for the first 1.5 weeks. Then I came down with a rip-roaring sinus infection that took 3 weeks to finally get rid of. I couldn’t train much and I lost 8 lbs (some was fat, but a lot was muscle). I’m better now, but I have put off EDT until at least late spring and I’ve gone back to less volume sessions and it’s working for me right now.

I truly feel that I overtrained. Btw, I’m 37, have 3 young kids, and my workday, between commuting and working, runs from 7 am to 7/8 pm. I have enough time at night to eat dinner, put the kids to bed, clean up the house a little and spend about 1/2 hour with the wife if I want to get 8 hours of sleep (which rarely happens). My norm is about 7 hours. Eating like a horse is very difficult as well due to my schedule.

Take this as you will, but this is my experience with my body. I have always had setbacks after periods of my best gains and I was never good at putting this together before finding T-Nation.

DB

[quote]pushharder wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
I think the argument about Overtraining vs. Under Recovery (under eating, under resting) is pointless because essentially, we are talking about the same things. Overtraining = Under Recovery.

The original post makes some very good points about the use of “overtraining” as an excuse to not go hard. During college summers, I worked manual, heavy lifting jobs. I would get home, take a nap, wake up for dinner, then train from 8-9:30 at night. I got great results that way. Of course, I was 18 at the time and had very little responsibility. At this point in my life, I find it very difficult to not hit snooze in the morning and put my training off until the following day. It’s much easier for me to get up at 5:30 in the morning in the warm months to get my training in. I need more recovery between late fall and early spring.

Case in point: during the holidays, I cut my training down to 2x a week (whole body). I gained size and strength (@ 5lbs in 2 months). About a month ago, I figured the holidays were over, so it was time I ramped up so I started a bout of EDT. I felt great for the first 1.5 weeks. Then I came down with a rip-roaring sinus infection that took 3 weeks to finally get rid of. I couldn’t train much and I lost 8 lbs (some was fat, but a lot was muscle). I’m better now, but I have put off EDT until at least late spring and I’ve gone back to less volume sessions and it’s working for me right now.

I truly feel that I overtrained. Btw, I’m 37, have 3 young kids, and my workday, between commuting and working, runs from 7 am to 7/8 pm. I have enough time at night to eat dinner, put the kids to bed, clean up the house a little and spend about 1/2 hour with the wife if I want to get 8 hours of sleep (which rarely happens). My norm is about 7 hours. Eating like a horse is very difficult as well due to my schedule.

Take this as you will, but this is my experience with my body. I have always had setbacks after periods of my best gains and I was never good at putting this together before finding T-Nation.

DB

Dammit, Dollar, dammit! I find no smart-aleck comment here. Is this really you?

LOL ;-)[/quote]

It’s that damned identity theft again!

DB