Anyone Seen This?

“This is similar to why a ball when thrown straight out will fall when it slows down. Horizontal projection or moving speed perpindicular to gravity essentially negates the effect of gravity on the object. When the object slows gravity regains it’s grip on the object and again begins pulling it ever harder into the ground.”

I’m sorry, but that’s completely wrong man. You can trust my degree in physics…or a high school text book. You might have it right in your head, but that explanation was way out of whack.

[quote]Bob423 wrote:
“This is similar to why a ball when thrown straight out will fall when it slows down. Horizontal projection or moving speed perpindicular to gravity essentially negates the effect of gravity on the object. When the object slows gravity regains it’s grip on the object and again begins pulling it ever harder into the ground.”

I’m sorry, but that’s completely wrong man. You can trust my degree in physics…or a high school text book. You might have it right in your head, but that explanation was way out of whack. [/quote]

I was really hoping I wasn’t the only one that noticed that…Thanks for restoring my faith

"Fire the gun in your left hand at the same moment you drop the bullet in your right hand. Both will hit the ground at the same time, regardless of the fact the the fired bullet has far more velocity than the dropped bullet. What school did you attend that taught this bizarre brand of Newtonian Physics? "

That statement is incorrect. That would hold true if the world wrer in fact flat, the world is in fact round so if you fire a bullet horizontal to the earth, the earth will curve away from the bullet. This is how a satelite stays in orbit. it is not flying away from the earth but parallel to it with sufficient speed to defy the gravatational pull, or for lack of a better term, fall at the same rate as the curvature that the earth falls away from it. Or it could be “magic” whichever you prefer.

Add that to the aerodynamic aspect of an airplane, and it weighs even less as it is being aerodynamically lifted by the wings. It would have to be coming into the ground at a very steep angle, or a least a much steeper angle to leave a crater on that lawn.

For another example, have you ever seen a plane make an emergency landing whith the gear up due to gear failure, the plane slides across the ground with very little ground damage untill the plane slows considerably and even then you only get minor turf torn up, no big craters.

Vegita ~ Prince of all Sayajins

We actually went over that same problem in physics, and it was repeated on a test. Excellent answer, man.

Yeah Physics !!

Thanks, I am a science nerd, I watch the discovery group of channels more than any other tv programming with the news networks coming in a close second, then probably cartoons and football tied for third.

Bob, you were right in saying my explanation was wrong, I kind of just summarised that it acts like gravity has lost it’s grip, when in fact my second explanation is more scientific.