Antiquity's Training Log: Just plugging away

7/22/2023

8 am, in garage.

Following the recent T Nation article " How to Build Muscle Naturally: An Unexpected Plan

Max effort on all sets (until technical failure). Reps done slow and controlled.

Ring Dips: +28 kg (10 reps); +22 kg (12 reps)
Pull ups, each from dead hang (for this followed the Pull Up Fighter progression due to elbow): 10, 8, 6, 4, 2
Overhead Press: 125 lbs x 8; 105 lbs x 10
Ring rows: Weight vest and elevated x 13, BW only x 15
Lat Raises: 25 lb DBs x 9; 15 lb DBs x 18
KB towel curls: 36 kg x 9; 28 kg x 12; 22 kg x 15 (did an extra set here)
Push ups: Weight vested, deficit x 27; BW only x 30 (did an extra 43 to get to an even 100)

Notes: Apologies to @SvenG. I had the intention of running 531 Beach Body, but as I was warming up for the back squat I threw in the towel. My lower body and lower back are too fatigued from yesterday’s Crossfit DL WOD, so pivoted to this which I had been eying.

It works quite well. I gave myself 90s - 120s of rest between sets. I also focused on controlled reps at the expense of higher reps. I swapped ring dips for bench, push ups for tricep extensions, and ring rows for chest-supported rows. Great pump as it progressed, and mentally and physically doable. As much as I’d like to run a full on 531 template, I know that the unpredictability of CF makes that very hard.

4 Likes