Alex_uk: I've got more, time to give more

In my experience it takes a while to absorb @T3hPwnisher’s wisdom. For me, it’s sometimes a few years of letting things sink in so that I can revisit those thoughts with a new perspective

Understandable. I really admired this man like he was a literal comic book hero, when I first discovered Tnation. Way before he had mainstream success and ever talked to a camera. He definitely earned every bit of success and more.

4 Likes

Haha yes probably right, I wonder what else will sink in, I know his diet stuff is pretty spot on but man I just love carbs, my pwo meal was fish finger sandwiches, bread wrapped in bread with a small amount of protein just to kid myself.

Well he’s got the look, the fighting skills, probably the origin story, the nearly beaten close to death and then come back story, I’d say he’s as close as we’ll see to legit comic book hero!

I just need to keep plugging away at this consistently, for another 15 years (both the eating and training) and I’ll be there!

3 Likes

Week 2 day 4:

Felt like stepped on turd. Just a minor bit of man flu (aka a cold), but feel worse than when I had the Rona. Dropped kids to a youth group, smashed a lemsip and got on with it.

Very time limited (needed to pick the kids up!) so skipped conditioning (for now…)

Gs1:
B/o Cable rows: 40kg X 10 X 5 sets
Bench: 60, 70, 80, 90kg X 4, 100kg X 3
Hanging leg raise: 4 X 5 sets
Sandbag squats bear hug: 50kg X 5 X 5 sets

Gs2:
B/o Cable rows: 40kg X 10 X 2 sets
Bench: 80kg X 8, 7
Hanging leg raise: 4 X 2 sets
Sandbag squats bear hug: 50kg X 5 X 2 sets

Done under 40 mins. That bench was shocking - i expected to be down, thought I might struggle with 105/107.5 for 4 but not to be able to that for 100, disappointing. Still, I haven’t hit a flat bench for months and I’ve lost a chunk of weight so can’t complain, just got to work hard to surpass and not have hiatuses again! Sure the skill aspect will recover quickly.

Hammies are starting to complain about my sandbag work, good, those whiney little bitches better grow and get me some deadlift gains!

4 Likes

Dude, if carbs work for you, USE them. They’re like a cheat code in nutrition. That’s really more “my nutrition”: find what works for you and abuse the hell out of it. My engine burns fat, so I feed it fat. Learning that was big, because when I tried to just do the carb thing, things didn’t work. Learning fats worked for me meant I got to dive into the whole world of fat sources and REALLY figure out how to maximize it.

4 Likes

Haha I’ll continue to use them and they work fine in so far as I grow on them and feel fine (although I’ve never gone low carb long enough to compare) and I absolutely love them. I’ve never gotten particularly lean, so it might be a route to look at in the future (a long way off yet) but also I’ve never tried to get super lean or if I have I usually give up by week 6 (the psychological impact of losing weight plays heavy with me).

But totally get your point, it’s all individual and what works for you isn’t guaranteed to work for me. Always appreciate your perspective and input.

2 Likes

Hey mate, I’m just doing the rounds. How are you going in life and lifting? Looks like u got an interesting training set up going

1 Like

Hey Piggie! Great to hear from you, coincidentally I checked out your Instagram the other day after Simo posted in your log. You’re continuing to smash it I see! Looking forward to finally seeing you on a platform!

My training fell by the wayside this year, subsequently I lost a load of weight and strength, like you though I’m planning to compete next year (strongman) for the first time, so I’ve got a huge way to go to make sure I don’t zero everything.

Training is based around Brian Alsruhe’s which is giant sets of antagonist, main movement, abs, HR increaser, short rest, ramp up and repeat. Very recently increased the sandbag stuff because it sucks and will surely bring about awesomeness through suckiness.

Also I’m no longer in the sumo fraternal - because strongman.

4 Likes

Puh bold statement, Alex.

3 Likes

Haha got a legit laugh out loud!

1 Like

This deserves more than one like

2 Likes

Sounds like a fun challenge. There’s been a few strongman comps I’ve looked at recently and I’m really keen to try it somewhere down the line. Maybe when static strength gains dry up and I can go train other qualities, have some fun and be a bit healthier than a SHW powerlifter.

Do you have any favourite strongman movements or events?

What’s your best conventional pull? I’ll fite u. I usually hit it once in a blue moon when I off program or deload lol. @Koestrizer too. I’ll fite u all.

1 Like

I’d rather you stay with sumo and I make fun of it instead of you proving that you’re a stronger deadlifter either way.

3 Likes

No mercy. Only mog. My best is 240 so far

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWAWHfmFuyo/?utm_medium=copy_link

2 Likes

I should be able to do that. Did 230 kg x 2 fatigued before getting sick. Not gonna lie though that looked like there is a lot more in thr tank for you. I’m currently looking at 250 myself

1 Like

Challenge accept

1 Like

Yea definitely agreeing with @Koestrizer - @guineapig stick with sumo, I’m already embarrassed enough by my deadlift - there is no competition!

180 is top convo pull and it didn’t look anything like as pretty and easy as your 240!

3 Likes

A thought occurs to me, that I’m putting here just to document my thinking and get some accountability (and/or for others opinions).

Strongman regularly features a variety of overhead stuff, my overhead is garbage, but my ability to recover from overhead work seems limitless. Thinking to make my accessory work a whole variety of OH stuff and smash it multiple times (up to 4x) per week, either that or add an OH element to my giant sets (additional to current work) when I’m not on press days - I like the first option best so will try that first and evaluate in a few months time.

3 Likes

Conditioning would be viable there too. Overhead to floor work

1 Like

What this does this actually look like? Is it like 40 hard heavy working sets a week and still making gains (performance in the lift going up)?

Where do you think you fall on the spectrum between doing not enough work to make gains, just enough to make gains, a wide range of workloads that stimulate gains and up to the most u can recover from/make gains from? Too much work might just present as nil gains/progress even though u keep upping the workload.

1 Like

I am going to assume it is me that doesn’t understand this statement, because it sounds like taking things that are already up high and then putting them down on the floor, and that doesn’t sound terribly challenging.