Alex_uk: I've got more, time to give more

Found my new sport…

3 Likes

Training!

Week 4 day 1:

Conditioning
Floor to overhead 40kg barbell
S/s Burpees with over bar jump X 5
5, 1, 4, 2, 3 reps X 2 rounds 10.22 (wasn’t pushing it hard if you want some easy wins again @dagill2) surprised though how much my shoulders got smashed, it’s just never ending should pumpage and good conditioning, win win.

Gs1:
Squat jumps: 3 X 5 sets
Deficit (3/4 inch) rdl: 60, 80, 100, 120, 140kg X 3
Cable crunch: 40kg X 12 X 5 sets
6c Burpees: 5 X 5 sets

Gs2
Squat jump: 3 X 3 sets
Deficit rdl: 100kg X 8 X 3 sets
6c Burpees: 5 X 3 sets

Emoms:
Squats - 60kg & blue bands X 3 X 10 sets.

Good session, top set of rdls was to heavy and I probably should have had called it on the 2nd rep, it turned I to a bad/weird non rdl, deadlift. Back wasn’t loving the ab work, probably need to rethink that just dropped it in the second gs.

3 Likes

Good work. I mean, I need bed more than a win, but I might drag my ass through this later.

1 Like

Two weeks without training, life’s good, busy and some stress, but mainly just crazy busy, kids, summer holidays, lockdown ending so catching up with a million people, and works pretty crazy with both jobs and just starting a side hustle. Basically stuff I want/need to do/see more than lift, which right now is virtually anything, hate the thought of lifting - heatwave didn’t help.

Switching things up slightly just to be realistic about current life schedule - 2 day a week training and if I get time for an additional session I’ll just go a, b, a.

Going for a truncated dark horse - just because it hits conditioning (mandatory thing for work) and strength, might also make me look sexier but I’m going to have to work on the diet for that.

Layout will be A: gs1: back work antagonist to press, deads, bench, abs, conditioning.

Gs2: deads, press

Accessories if time: arms (because I want to look sexier).

B: gs1 back work antagonist to press, squat, ohp, abs, conditioning

Gs2: squat, ohp

Accessories: shoulders (see last reason!)

Every session starts with the usual 10 mins ISH conditioning.

Today:

Juarez valley: 60kg front squats & 5 X 6 count burpees
8, 1, 7, 2, 6, 3, 5, 4 - time…

Just for you @dagill2 - I collapsed for a solid 3-4 mins post this and sweat hasn’t stopped since look like I’ve been in a swimming pool fully clothed, my mind was genuinely trying to get me to stop after the 4th set of squats, what a prick that guy is - I showed him.

Gs1:

Bench rows: 8 X 6 sets
Deads: 60, 100, 120, 140 X 3
Bench: 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110 X 1
Band crunch: 8 X 6 sets
Burpees 6c: 5 X 6 sets

Ss2:
Deads: 110kg X 8, 1 (back felt awful here hopefully I cut it off early enough)
Bench: 90kg X 5 X 3

Done, decided to keep the second gs a SS instead two big movements high rep back to back gets my HR up enough without the extras might add things back in once I’m back into the swing.

I’m weak and small now (200lbs), no excuses just stay the course and get better. This session was hard, particularly after start it with that Juarez, for that time, broken haha.

6 Likes

Your mind was right. You showed me

1 Like

Haha you know what I meant…

But if the glove fits.

1 Like

Basically a waif. Nice to hear from you, mate.

1 Like

Care to share or too soon?

Good to hear from you. The extra 20s will be there for you, waiting for when you get the thunder back to get freakishly strong.
I suppose that means putting a pin in your strongman plans?

Haha you know it, dipped to 199 this morning!

Cheers Cyrrex - missed you too :kissing_heart:

Not yet, it’s nothing major, just an hour to two in the evenings at the moment.

Good point - answer: yes and no, I won’t be signing up for anything this year, but there is a comp near me in August, going to drag the family out to it for a day out, looking at the novice events they’re just slightly out of reach for me right now:

Axle DL: 200kg for 60 secs
Farmers: 100kg 30m
Max distance shield carry: 120kg
Axle floor to overhead: 100kg for 60 secs
Keg over yoke: 100kg 60 secs

DL over current convo dead (with a standard bar, let alone axle) overhead might be doable, I’ll have to try that out at home, but I’d guess that would be a single rep max effort affair haha, the rest I wouldn’t have a clue, I’d guess that I could potentially do the farmers but my only experience of that is doing it with a trap bar which I’m sure is totally different, the others not a clue.

I’ll make a point of signing up for the next year’s comp as soon as the option is available, stop me being all talk and no go, and until then I can work on getting stronger, bigger and fitter. Need to get that conventional dead up well past 200 and work on the overhead, then throw in sandbag and chain yoke (just working with what I have) and focus on events when they’re released.

5 Likes

I like that plan! It’s totally fair game to go for a one rep max in an event meant for reps btw. I have done that plenty of times, haha.

1 Like

The trick is to tell everyone you’re going for 20, and then after the first rep act like you tweaked something in your back and do the “wave off” motion.

4 Likes

Problem is I don’t think I’ve got a single in me haha!

Haha sounds like a solid plan - although the back tweak might be legit in my case.

That made me chuckle… Such a classic move you see in every comp, haha.

3 Likes

Good to see you back. That JV session was awful, great job. And going straight at that after 2 weeks away… wonder if that made it better or worse!

2 Likes

My quads are currently saying it was a bad idea, my lungs and legs immediately said it was a bad ideal, but I got the win and that’s the important thing the lungs and legs can just shut up and get on board!

Given the infrequency of my current training I’m always fully/over rested. Might just claim I’ve created a new version of HIT and sell ebooks.

5 Likes

Very quiet mate

1 Like

You must have been thinking about him at the same time as me, saw his log flash up and thought he was back.

Hope everything is OK @alex_uk

1 Like

Thanks for checking in @carlbm and @simo74 - quiet because nothings happening unfortunately!

Basically my usual time for training was my lunch break (least impact on family life) and that’s gone because my job is currently crazy busy (and now summer holidays, working from home with kids it’s just relentless). Struggled a bit mentally as well, overload and end of my tether, not sleeping well/eating well etc. Got some annual leave coming up, hoping that will help.

Lots of reasons why, but it’s all excuses and it’s me being lazy, I need to find time somewhere, because I’ve probably lost somewhere around 15/20 and I’m not any leaner or stronger!

3 Likes

Good to hear from you but not good to hear about your situation. I know exactly what working at home when you have kids around is like and it is not easy. My work stress tends to take over other areas of my life and I have to be careful.
Maybe now would be a good time to get in some crazy bodyweight stiff like @ChongLordUno is doing. You dont need much time and you can do multiple sessions a day fitted around other stuff.

2 Likes

That is a shame to hear. If you need to vent ask for my email address. I find venting to people far removed from my problems is a great way to lighten the load. Otherwise, you might need to refresh yourself. You can not poor for an empty cup.

In the mean time just know that even thought times are tough - “this too shall pass”. And sooner rather than later you will be able to get back on top.

If you do need anything do ask.

2 Likes