Abs and Flat Stomach, and Posture.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Maybe that is why my gait is so distinct. People have always told me they can tell it’s me from a mile away just because of how I move when I walk.[/quote]

Are you sure they just don’t recognize you from so far away because you’re the only thing moving that’s:

• 4 times bigger than any other people around you,
  • 2 times bigger than the Volkswagen you just walked past, and
  • only slightly smaller than the van you just walked past?

:wink:

Maybe that is why my gait is so distinct. People have always told me they can tell it’s me from a mile away just because of how I move when I walk.[/quote]

Obviously it’s because of your Invisible Lat Syndrome, silly!

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

Are you sure they just don’t recognize you from so far away because you’re the only thing moving that’s:

• 4 times bigger than any other people around you,
  • 2 times bigger than the Volkswagen you just walked past, and
  • only slightly smaller than the van you just walked past?

;)[/quote]

Very funny.

Yeah, NOW they notice me because of size but they used to tell me this since I was in high school at least.

They used to tell me I walked like a fighter. I’m still not sure what that means exactly.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]its_just_me wrote:
I’m probably going to annoy a few people here, but, I believe the main reason for a BIG protruding belly is excessive bulking. And then…the bodybuilder doesn’t cut calories/do enough cardio to cut the internal visceral fat (fat beneath stomach muscles that often causes protruding).

This is VERY difficult for a bodybuilder (even naturals) because they are constantly “bulking”…more than they are cutting…so obviously, in the long run, the visceral fat builds up beneath the abs…even though the “external fat” (subcutaneous fat) is being burned off. You can be ripped, but have loads of visceral fat.

In my opinion the “external fat” (subcutaneous fat) is easier to “burn off” than the internal visceral fat…hence why it builds up over time.

Essentially, it takes a pretty HIGH cut in calories to get rid of visceral fat - something most bodybuilders couldn’t bring themselves round to doing (understandably).

The way around this is to not eat more than is necessary (slow bulk)…and eat more “healthy” fats as apposed to ones like saturated. But then again, this is very difficult to do when in persuit of as much muscle as possible.

Visceral fat is often connected with heart problems…and so are steriods (or at least, abuse of steriods)…maybe there’s a connection?[/quote]

Not everyone gains visceral fat and subQ fat in the same ratio. Same goes for losing it. You make it sound like someone has to lose ALL of their subQ fat before visceral fat will be shed. That’s rediculous. My basic understanding of energy metabolism and my common sense tells me that will not happen often enough to say it is a definite cause of gut distension.

And please don’t get into a steroid discussion. First of all you don’t even know how to spell the damn word. Second your logic is distorted. I’ll leave it at that.

The heart problems are caused (partly) because of homocystine levels increasing (acutely on cycle). And (partly) because certain drugs destroy people’s lipid profiles, the degree of which is based on a few things, one being genetics. Both of those things can be affected and manipulated in people who dont use supraphysiological levels of hormones. Sure steroids are risky to use in some cases, but lets not get crazy with that kind of a stretched connection.

[/quote]

I don’t disagree with this. It is true that people gain visceral fat and subQ fat in different ratios - people who have a thin build very often gain more visceral fat (in my observation) especially when bulking. No, of course visceral fat doesn’t get burned last, I just meant that it seems to be more stubborn. To illustrate, a bodybuilder may bulk up and diet down several times over 2 years, and his waist size may go up and up without even increasing the caliper readings at the end of the two years. This does happen.

No, I’m not going into steroids (i before the o - I keep forgetting that!), to be honest with you, I don’t know much about them LOL. Hence the question mark…

[quote]its_just_me wrote:
I’m probably going to annoy a few people here, but, I believe the main reason for a BIG protruding belly is excessive bulking. And then…the bodybuilder doesn’t cut calories/do enough cardio to cut the internal visceral fat (fat beneath stomach muscles that often causes protruding).

This is VERY difficult for a bodybuilder (even naturals) because they are constantly “bulking”…more than they are cutting…so obviously, in the long run, the visceral fat builds up beneath the abs…even though the “external fat” (subcutaneous fat) is being burned off. You can be ripped, but have loads of visceral fat.

In my opinion the “external fat” (subcutaneous fat) is easier to “burn off” than the internal visceral fat…hence why it builds up over time.

Essentially, it takes a pretty HIGH cut in calories to get rid of visceral fat - something most bodybuilders couldn’t bring themselves round to doing (understandably).

The way around this is to not eat more than is necessary (slow bulk)…and eat more “healthy” fats as apposed to ones like saturated. But then again, this is very difficult to do when in persuit of as much muscle as possible.

Visceral fat is often connected with heart problems…and so are steriods (or at least, abuse of steriods)…maybe there’s a connection?[/quote]

If you are now blaming true abdominal distention on eating enough to gain, you are flat out wrong. If you think bodybuilders from the 60’s were eating light…yep, you are wrong again.

Most of the people even worrying about a “slow bulk” will never get that big to start with. Who the hell do you know “slow bulks” their way up 100lbs? It doesn’t fucking happen.

All you end up with is people who may gain 20lbs in 5-10 years but who never reach anywhere near their own personal limits.
[/quote]

I’m not promoting the slow bulk (don’t even do that myself), just saying that people who tend not to go above a certain level of bodyfat don’t usually have this problem…BUT, like I said, if one is after a lot of muscle, doing it this way isn’t exactly ideal.

I only think that this becomes a proper problem when the individual goes to about 20% bf or higher (bodyfat is something many underestimate…the callipers may only say 15%, but really, it could be closer to 20%). Cutting the fat drastically reduces the belly swelling, but it can still leave it protruding somewhat even when there’s very little fat under the skin.

This is something I believe simply has to be accepted (just as much as stretch marks lol).

bushido, debra, prof. - I seem to always flex my abs as well when I walk around everyday and such…I was wondering if this was healthy or not?

secondly…regarding posture for the shoulders…are we supposed to when we standup/sit/walk…keep our chest high, shoulders back more…instead of just letting them flop however, pull the shoulders back a bit so if you were to take your shirt off you could see the traps/rhomboids being a bit closer than normal if you were just to let yourself dangle.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I’m not even close to an expert in this field, but most experts and scientist have been pretty consistent in their opinion that visceral fat loss is much lower in the subq/visceral fat loss ratio.
There’s also the opinion that what you eat effects it what ratio fat is lost but visceral still being lower.
[/quote]

I understand that this is the thought, which is why I said “in my opinion”. I just think real world results prove otherwise (especially with bodybuilders).

OR

Maybe the fact that there is SO much visceral fat under the Abs, it would take a lot longer to burn it off compared to the fat under the skin. So if you had gained A LOT of visceral fat (e.g. “beer belly”), and then went on a cutting phase, you may loose the same amount or even a bit more of the visceral fat, but, it still wouldn’t be enough to get rid of the protruding.

hi guys,

i have a similar problem however maybe to a greater degree than the OP’s. I am 95% sure that I have lordosis/anterior pelvic tilt.

however, i have never found a comprehensive guide or strategy to fix this postural problem. it bothers me a lot because it makes my ass/gut look big, and whenever i wear a tucked in shirt, i like terrible from the side.

could someone PLEASE help me out with this (some stretches or something that i can do to fix it). much appreciated

you gotta strengthen the glutes pretty much your p-chain…your abdominals as well…I’d also stretch your hip flexors, quads etc etc.
instead of me talking here’s a good summary of it all to help you out:

www.endyourbackpainnow.com/.../4-essential-strategies-for-the-correction-of-anterior-pelvic-tilt.pdf

You don’t want to tighten or clench your abs. You should walk around as relaxed as possible and not hold anything in. This is probably what they mean but don’t tell you, X.

As far as visceral fat goes… Every male member of my extended family other than me loves beer… Where Dorian never missed a meal, these guys never miss a beer…

And every single one of them grows a belly as if they had some huge tumor underneath their abs. They gain little fat everywhere else, not like the people eating McDonalds all day who end up just morbidly obese all-over…

I don’t know much at all about the subject, but it does seem that “food” choices influence the whole thing?

[quote]rasturai wrote:
you gotta strengthen the glutes pretty much your p-chain…your abdominals as well…I’d also stretch your hip flexors, quads etc etc.
instead of me talking here’s a good summary of it all to help you out:

www.endyourbackpainnow.com/.../4-essential-strategies-for-the-correction-of-anterior-pelvic-tilt.pdf [/quote]

I always get an error message trying to open the file with adobe reader, although I searched it on google because the link is incomplete. Is it just my computer or is the file broken?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
As far as visceral fat goes… Every male member of my extended family other than me loves beer… Where Dorian never missed a meal, these guys never miss a beer…

And every single one of them grows a belly as if they had some huge tumor underneath their abs. They gain little fat everywhere else, not like the people eating McDonalds all day who end up just morbidly obese all-over…

I don’t know much at all about the subject, but it does seem that “food” choices influence the whole thing?

[/quote]

I didn’t want to dwell on the beer thing too much since I wasn’t sure of people’s lifestyle choices lol. But, food choices is a good start!

Interesting to know about Dorian etc.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[/quote]

That has more to do with how you genetically store fat than what they were eating. I have seen older guys with pot bellies so round that it looks like they are smuggling illegal aliens in their colon but I wouldn’t blame their beer intake alone.

I do agree that what you eat can cause you to look different, but even that has more to do with LIFESTYLE. The guy with a fast metabolism who eats value meals all day but works out of r3 hours a day isn’t going to look anything like the couch potato who does the same but never leaves the house.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]celtics2022 wrote:
You don’t want to tighten or clench your abs. You should walk around as relaxed as possible and not hold anything in. This is probably what they mean but don’t tell you, X.[/quote]

No I’m sorry but this is not right. If you walk around as relaxed as possible, you will look like a bag of sh*t and create all sorts of issues. Postural muscles are meant to hold a degree of tension.

If you want to look like a hipswaying hunchback that is smuggling beachballs, then by all means be as relaxed as possible when you perambulate.

BBB[/quote]

Agreed…plus, to respond to him directly, how the hell would anyone else know how tight my abs were in clothes?

They were referring to my GAIT, not whether my abs weere flexed or not.

I can’t really put it much better than bushido did, but no one should be walking around with absolutely no tonicity to their core unless they like looking like shit and instigating postural issues for the future.

When we were discussing people with “rounded” abs in contest shape, that has NOTHING at all to do with skinny fat people whose bellies stick out simply because their core is so weak from lack of any training at all. A heavy weight bodybuilder who, when relaxed, has abs that stick out HAS an extremely strong core to begin with.

Alrgiht cool that’s pretty much what I’ve also done all the time I’d say 10% contraction.

As for shoulders I try to keep my chest higher, shoulders back. I see some people stand slumped up, forward just letting themselves look like they are fallin apart.

I’d say I stand in a proud posture.

central adiposity/ visceral fat is a marker of insulin resistance, is it not? if so, why would a bodybuilder in contest shape have a so-called “gut” from this adipose tissue? are they not extremely insulin sensitive?

do none of you breath out or relax your gut EVER? everyone saying pro bbers have HG guts and whatnot=retardation. of course a guy who carries upwards of 300 pounds around is going to have a large abdominal musculature- strip all the fat off that and it’s still fucking huge- then when he relaxes you see what happens, the same shit that happens when anyone relaxes their gut (that is, you look like you have a pot belly)

/facepalm

while we’re on the subject, what’s the best way to fix bad shoulder posture? unless i’m fully concentrated on my posture, my shoulders tend to round forward.